Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Martial Arts Business

• 17-04-2008 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hello all,

I've noticed that there has been a steady increase in the number of full time gyms opening up around the country. This is of course a very positive sign for all those involved in the martial arts and I wish to congratulate you all on your successes, particularly the MMA gyms who have so rapidly developed there clubs over the past few years.

It just shows that the attitude to their training translates to other areas of their lives including the business acumen required to be successful as a full time martial arts professional:)

So now that I am finished with the kiss-a55ing I was hoping some of you might be willing to share some of your experiences from the time when you were hiring the local community hall or school gym on a part-time basis to leasing a fulltime premises, and some of the pitfalls you had to deal with and other considerations when taking the big step.

I myself am a fulltime Martial arts coach and am pretty happy with my lot but I feel that I have restricted my clubs development with the current arranagements I have hiring a hall on a part-time basis and would like to make the move to a dedicated premises within the next year or so.

I am paying enough rent (for approx 20 hours per week) to pay a 2nd mortgage. I am based in Blackrock and intend to stay in the area and would expect to find a big cost in leasing an industrial unit in the area compared to other areas but have no idea what other costs to consider apart from the obvious (light, heating, council rates etc.). I also have no idea of the goings rates per square foot of industrial units. For example would I be dreaming to get a 1500-2000sq foot place for anything around the €1800 per month mark??

If any of you would be kind enough to offer me your experience and advise on taking the next step I would be very grateful, even to point me in the right direction in getting said advise. My email addy is pm@ymaa.ie or you could pm me if you don't want to share in public.

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭phoenix-MT

Hi paul, im in the process of going through it all myself. moving from halls to our own full time gym. Price per sq ft depends on location, were based in mullingar so id imagine our commercial units are cheaper to lease than around your way, however they are on average 10-15 euro per sq ft per year plus VAT. Usually they want 4 months upfront to, and business rates can apply for MA gyms. As your probably aware your insurance costs will increase to. Contact your LSP (local sports Partnership) they might be able to point you in the direction of council owed premises or unused halls that may work out cheaper for you and they may also help with funding. Hope it all goes well for you mate, Goodluck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭FiannaGym.com

phoenix-MT wrote: »
    Contact your LSP (local sports Partnership)

Thanks a lot for that. These kinds of gems is what makes people keep coming back, regardless of how many TMA vs MMA arguments there are. haha

Good Luck with the gym Paul!!

Peace

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭David Jones

but I feel that I have restricted my clubs development with the current arranagements I have hiring a hall on a part-time basis and would like to make the move to a dedicated premises within the next year or so.

I am paying enough rent (for approx 20 hours per week) to pay a 2nd mortgage.

I feel your pain Paul. I have paid a large some of money to rent a hall over the last 6 years but received no support from either Rathdown Co Council or any local sports beneficiary. They build methadone clinics at the drop of a hat, but try getting funding for people who actually want to be healthy and its a brick wall.

Below is my ideal location for a next generation / weights / yoga / multi purpose venue. Pipe dreams in this backward country of ours.

http://www.daft.ie/searchcommercial.daft?search=Search+%BB&s[cc_id]=ct1&s[a_id][0]=188&s[min_size]=&s[max_size]=&s[sub_pt_id]=1&s[pt_id]=&s[search_type]=commercial&s[transport]=&s[advanced]=&s[price_per_room]=&s[furn]=&s[refreshmap]=1&limit=10&id=24502

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭paul moran

Phoenix,
    Thanks for the advice on the Local sports Partnership, as Fianna said it's a gem and will make some contact with them.

Fianna thanks for the best wishes, as Dave has said it's an uphill struggle but alot of people have done it lately so we can only but plough on.

Dave,
    Freaky but that's the same place I've been looking at too! It's the first place in the area that has been available in the past few years that would be suitable for a gym/martial arts school!

As it stands the full 6700sq/feet is a bit big for me, and I am sure the lease would be way too expensive not to count the cost of it's up keep. I am still gonna get in touch with the owner and check it out though as it is in 2 separate parts! It's a 5-10 minute walk to the dart, many bus routes, access from the Blackrock by-pass and the n11 (linking to the m50), plenty of parking , near alot of schoolsetc. It certainly is ideal!!!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭phoenix-MT

yeah thatd be a awesome place to have.....get it between you?? lol by the way goodluck with the LSPs, im struggling to get hold of the one in my area, as ive recently just noticed they are advertising the job position lol But apparently theyre the ones to contact first, also bit of advice....Irish Sports Council, they over see LSPs and have a few martial artisits on the board. goodluck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

I feel your pain Paul. I have paid a large some of money to rent a hall over the last 6 years but received no support from either Rathdown Co Council or any local sports beneficiary. They build methadone clinics at the drop of a hat, but try getting funding for people who actually want to be healthy and its a brick wall.

Below is my ideal location for a next generation / weights / yoga / multi purpose venue. Pipe dreams in this backward country of ours.

http://www.daft.ie/searchcommercial.daft?search=Search+%BB&s[cc_id]=ct1&s[a_id][0]=188&s[min_size]=&s[max_size]=&s[sub_pt_id]=1&s[pt_id]=&s[search_type]=commercial&s[transport]=&s[advanced]=&s[price_per_room]=&s[furn]=&s[refreshmap]=1&limit=10&id=24502

That place would be perfect, I looked into it about 4 months ago for a different purpose and because the location (off the beaten track) the rent was very reasonable 36k iirc. Would be great for MA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Toroi

Hi All,
    Looking for thoughts/advice.
    I’m just after taking early retirement from work(still in my 40s) and I am thinking of converting a shed close to my house into a Dojo.
    I live in the country about 3 miles from closest town, with another town and 3 villages within 8 miles. People here are used to travelling to activities. I have been running some Judo classes for the last few years in 3 locations; numbers are good in 2 of the areas not so good in the 3rd.
    What I am thinking of doing if I set up the dojo, would be stopping one of the locations and running it in the new Dojo and maybe adding an extra class, there is also the freedom of running extra class for Kata, open mat and starting Shotokan Karate (which is my 2nd style). At the moment I have a Van on the road transporting mats between 2 of the locations, that is a cost I might be able to stop.
    Just wondering if there is any other Clubs/Dojo in rural areas and how are they doing.

Cheers.

Advertisement