Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,083 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Waa7 wrote: »
    Cheers Zubair, Seems to only have happened since the weather turned. Electrics are still on, it’s like I hit the Kill Switch, best way to describe it. It just floats across, I’m downshifting to 4,3,2 ish. I’m doing about 20-30 or there abouts. Had I serviced in the last 2 months and I just had it repaired but this was happening before it.

Loose battery cable??

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Waa7

blade1 wrote: »
    Loose battery cable??

Would it do that after half hour of riding? Starts no issues at all, out and about going through roundabouts then next one just dies and is weak then till I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭robbie_63

Overheating?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Loose battery cable??

Exactly what I was thinking but lights would go then too, still worth checking as its a very common and easy to sort.

So make sure both your battery terminals are tight. Probably a Philips head.

Would it do that after half hour of riding? Starts no issues at all, out and about going through roundabouts then next one just dies and is weak then till I get home.

Yes because a bump or leaning can move the connection enough to kill it but all will be normal while stationary or just
    normal riding.

• Advertisement

robbie_63 wrote: »
    Overheating?

That is my overriding thought.

zubair wrote: »
    Yes because a bump or leaning can move the connection enough to kill it but all will be normal while stationary or just
    normal riding.

I was whizzing (as much can be done on GZ125 lol) through roundabouts for the first half hour. I’ve to push the choke on a bit to get him started again after it dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,083 ✭✭✭✭blade1

robbie_63 wrote: »
    Overheating?
    That is my overriding thought.

Those marauders are air cooled.

Start with the basics first.
    Tighten your battery cable and go from there.

Those marauders are air cooled.

Start with the basics first.
    Tighten your battery cable and go from there.

Cheers Blade, yea I have the Haynes manual so I followed the wiring when I was circling the kickstand sensor. I’ll try the battery there not while there’s a break in the weather.

Checked the battery connections, perfect no issues. Phoned a guy whose a bike mechanic whizz, he said it sounds like a fuel issue, after a couple of miles it sounds like it’s clogging up the fuel lines and the bike thinks there’s no fuel there so dies. When I get the chance I’ll try flush out the fuel line and see if that remedies the issue.

• Advertisement

Checked the battery connections, perfect no issues. Phoned a guy whose a bike mechanic whizz, he said it sounds like a fuel issue, after a couple of miles it sounds like it’s clogging up the fuel lines and the bike thinks there’s no fuel there so dies. When I get the chance I’ll try flush out the fuel line and see if that remedies the issue.

Could be this but I'd put carbs higher on my list, although good fuel and fuel filter is easier to check.

Have you tried switching to reserve and see if it makes a difference even with a full tank?

Could be this but I'd put carbs higher on my list, although good fuel and fuel filter is easier to check.

Have you tried switching to reserve and see if it makes a difference even with a full tank?

Carbs were cleaned when I had the bike repaired and given the once over last week. So if I switch to reserve it’ll come from a different fuel line that might be clear?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Nope, same fuel line, just coming from a different area of the tank.
    Is there a choke on the bike? Its not being left on or something simple like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

Kinked or blocked tank breather hose. When it happens again try and open the tank. If it’s stuck or you hear it sucking in air when it opens then that’s your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

Check that you are not operating the choke in the wrong direction. Is the choke lever on the left handlebar? Forward is choke off.

Nope, same fuel line, just coming from a different area of the tank.
    Is there a choke on the bike? Its not being left on or something simple like that?

There’s a choke but it’s not being left on. Chat with my mate last night n a few months back I was on empty on way back from Wexford n bike died so I put it into reserve to get to the garage, thinking this is when dirt got into the lines. I’m going to attempt to clean out the fuel lines today and how that does the trick. My mechanic friend is known as one of the best so I’ll go with his line of thinking first but any suggestions please share even if it doesn’t work for me others will learn too. First attempt at anything like this but we all start somewhere.

scudster wrote: »
    Kinked or blocked tank breather hose. When it happens again try and open the tank. If it’s stuck or you hear it sucking in air when it opens then that’s your problem.

Checking the hoses when I finish work later that’s the advice I was given and yours is much the same, cheers Scudster

Just found these in the extras the guy gave me when I bought the bike, might come in handy ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Those aren't random service items, they must have been ordered to fix the issues you are having now.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Those aren't random service items, they must have been ordered to fix the issues you are having now.

Agreed, I blew out the fuel lines and then replaced the pipes into the filter and the carb and ran the fuel and it was clean. Took me ages as it’s my first time but glad I done it. I’ve to bring it for a spin in a while to see has it helped.

• Advertisement

Agreed, I blew out the fuel lines and then replaced the pipes into the filter and the carb and ran the fuel and it was clean. Took me ages as it’s my first time but glad I done it. I’ve to bring it for a spin in a while to see has it helped.

Good stuff, hopefully that will sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Front caliper on the bike seized or stuck. My own fault, one of the particularly cold days where the roads were salted to death I should have given the bike a serious wash down when I got home but it was baltic so I bailed. I'd say the salt has expanded and stuck. Anyways, first bit of work the VFR has needed so not the end of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭goblin59

ronanc15 wrote: »
    Front caliper on the bike seized or stuck. My own fault, one of the particularly cold days where the roads were salted to death I should have given the bike a serious wash down when I got home but it was baltic so I bailed. I'd say the salt has expanded and stuck. Anyways, first bit of work the VFR has needed so not the end of the world.

If you are lucky some break cleaner spray might flush that out

goblin59 wrote: »

Ye, at worst I would say caliper off and a scrub.

goblin59 wrote: »
    Ye, at worst I would say caliper off and a scrub.

Yeah I'm hoping it's a handy one, I'm sure it is. Lesson learned anyway not to be such a lazy bollox ha!

ronanc15 wrote: »
    Handy little vid here too https://youtu.be/b3ocmkQQtFQ

I find him difficult to listen to, but his vids are generally good.
    I would also recommend removing the pads and using a hacksaw blade to clean the groove in the pads if there is one.
    That groove holds a lot of bad stuff and it really helps to clean it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Can I add to that the missenden flyer, itchy boots and ryan f nine and my go to pet hate is yer man from revzilla who starts everything like an auctioneer Anthony I think the tóssers name is.

• Advertisement

I would also recommend removing the pads and using a hacksaw blade to clean the groove in the pads if there is one.
    That groove holds a lot of bad stuff and it really helps to clean it out.

May well change the pads while Im at it. Not far off due.

Advertisement