Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eir urban FTTH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 William_Flynn

LoGiE wrote: »
    In Malahide and can see the poll is a few metres from the house.
    A few areas of malahide have Eir's FTTH as part of the rural fibre rollout for over a year or two.

Eir are currently rolling out FTTH for the rest of the town ( they were splicing a few weeks ago). So if the DP was put up on the pole this year it isn't yet live. I'm also waiting....

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

OpenEir FTTH in our estate (a new section of entirely new builds) is finally looking like it'll go live soon.

We had guys in from KN laying the cables about 3 or so weeks ago, and there was a guy in from OpenEir themselves doing the splicing today. From talking to him, he reckoned it would be marked live in about 2 weeks. There's some final testing to be done next week and then that's everything from their point of view.

It's a little bit irrelevant now since Siro has been live here since the start of October, and me and a number of my neighbours have signed up with Siro in the meantime as a result.

I actually initially thought OpenEir would win the race for us in our estate since I saw markings on the Eircom labelled manhole covers going back to the start of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭clohamon

If I were in Fingal County Council I wouldn't be messing with those kids in Pinewood Heath.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/fingalindependent/news/pinewood-heath-residents-feel-they-have-been-forgotten-39613521.html

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

My broadband nightmare of working from home on a 15mb (at best!) BB connection is coming to an end I hope soon enough. They have pulled fiber to the pole out side my door (living in Glasheen cork city). No DP box up yet but talking to the lads pulling the cable they said that crew should be on soon enough to put that up.

Do you guys reckon I could get it for Christmas, it would be the best present I think I would have gotten ever, as my life is a misery at the moment with this sh1t BB. Are these guys fast putting up the DP and be able to put in an order and get connected.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    My broadband nightmare of working from home on a 15mb (at best!) BB connection is coming to an end I hope soon enough. They have pulled fiber to the pole out side my door (living in Glasheen cork city). No DP box up yet but talking to the lads pulling the cable they said that crew should be on soon enough to put that up.

Do you guys reckon I could get it for Christmas, it would be the best present I think I would have gotten ever, as my life is a misery at the moment with this sh1t BB. Are these guys fast putting up the DP and be able to put in an order and get connected.

you sure it wasn't just fiber ducting they have put in place, a crew comes along after this to blow through the fiber and then the dp crew comes along to install the black boxes on poles or manholes, timelines are pie in the sky

i had the fiber ducting put in place by my place in august and they also replaced poles, not a peep since.............

BArra wrote: »
    you sure it wasn't just fiber ducting they have put in place, a crew comes along after this to blow through the fiber and then the dp crew comes along to install the black boxes on poles or manholes, timelines are pie in the sky

i had the fiber ducting put in place by my place in august and they also replaced poles, not a peep since.............

Deffo fibre talked to the lads pulling it and its coiled up on the pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Anyone any idea if and when it's being rolled out to Bray?
    Ta

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

ECO_Mental wrote: »

Im waiting for the DP since April...

Rew wrote: »
    Im waiting for the DP since April...

:(:( Went walking the dog last night and nearly every second pole had fiber cable tied up on it around the Glasheen area so I might be waiting a while so as they have a lot to do.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

They have been doing my town since Jan, my pole in April, then came back and replaced the whole pole about month or so ago. Loads of DP's done but I see plenty still to do still :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭ondafly

well my previous post was September

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114565023&postcount=359

and I'm up and running on 1gig since last week (Dublin)

BArra wrote: »
    Have more action in my area today in Cork (Glounthaune) after weeks of nothing, several KN/Circet crews with a small digger

Excuse the nosey norris work from home detail but stuck on rubbish fixed wireless for years...

15th July - KN/Circet team that were installing underground fibre ducting, with some poles having a black ducting cable spooled off quarter way up the pole
    29th July - Eir crew out replacing telephone poles
    26th August - Several KN/Circet crews with a mini-digger fixing two collapsed ducting pipes, asked one of them and they said the ducts are now completely clear to the interconnect

Think the next steps are then

- Crew to blow the fibre through the fibre ducting
    - Another crew to install the distribution points on poles and splice ?
    - Final step, provision at main exchange so that customers can order ?

The journey continues..

So there has still not been any fibre blown in or distribution boxes put on any poles

8th December - KN Circet crew fixing two poles, the guy said they were told to come out and fix some of the metal ladders on the pole which were too low and also something else wasn't in the right place on some poles. Apparently somebody from Eir comes back out to check these things were fixed, assume until then my area wont move to next phase of the build out

So its been 5 months since the start of this, maybe Q1 or Q2 2021? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Eir now have FTTH available in my house.
    Can someone please explain how they will install it?
    I have ducting running up to side of my house with the eir line.
    From there, there are 2 lines routed into the bedroom and another to the kitchen. Behind walls/plasterboard etc.
    These would be in since the house was built over 20 years ago.
    Are they going to have to run new cabling all around the internal walls?

Also bloke called to the door, quoted 55 per month for 1000gb or 45 for 150gb, 2 year contract on each. Eir site claims 150 gb is only 30 per month on 12 month contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Looks like it’s going to be another couple of years before FTTH is in my area (Dublin 3): “ Thank you for providing your eircode.

I spoke to the fibre Build Team and currently the plan to provide FTTH in your area is forecast for the end of 2023 or early 2024.

Kind Regards.”

Looks like it’s going to be another couple of years before FTTH is in my area (Dublin 3): “ Thank you for providing your eircode.

I spoke to the fibre Build Team and currently the plan to provide FTTH in your area is forecast for the end of 2023 or early 2024.

Kind Regards.”

who did you ask that to?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Seve OB wrote: »
    Eir now have FTTH available in my house.
    Can someone please explain how they will install it?
    I have ducting running up to side of my house with the eir line.
    From there, there are 2 lines routed into the bedroom and another to the kitchen. Behind walls/plasterboard etc.
    These would be in since the house was built over 20 years ago.
    Are they going to have to run new cabling all around the internal walls?

No the internal wiring is not going to be used. They're going to bring it up the duct then clip it along external walls and bring it through the external wall and install there. If you have a data point next to where they install you can patch the connection from the fibre termination to the other end of the internal wiring to move modem.
    If you get vodafone TV then they will be required to run a cat5 cable along skirting boards from where the modem is to the TV location as it's not wireless.
    With eir they will run cat5 along skirting if you want the modem in a different location.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I have SIRO in my area but it says not available on your link when I input my eircode?

• Advertisement

namloc1980 wrote: »
    I have SIRO in my area but it says not available on your link when I input my eircode?

What area are you in ?

Also, this thread is for the OpenEIR Urban FTTH. The SIRO thread is here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057131437

On SIRO, we currently cover Athlone, Clarecastle, Ennis, Galway, Limerick, Oranmore, Portlaoise, Shannon, Sixmilebridge, Sligo and South Dublin.

So if you are in an area not in that list, then we can't cover you and it will not necessarily show up on our check.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭clohamon

PQ from Holly Cairns TD (Cork South West) asking about work in an unidentified estate.

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2020-12-17a.694#g696.r
    Eamon Ryan: The activities of commercial operators delivering high speed broadband within BLUE areas are not planned or funded by the State and my Department has no statutory authority to intervene in that regard.

Our investigations indicate that eir have now delivered fibre to some of the premises in the estate referred to but have encountered civil issues with underground ducting, leaving some premises unserved. My Department has raised a query with eir to request further clarification on its next steps and associated timeframe to resolve the issue. As soon as a reply is received my Department will revert to the Deputy with a further update.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

KN "cersei" trenching in our area Friday and today. Cutting 1m sections about every 1.5m then recovering and applying grass seed between existing TE era concrete manhole covers.

If they were laying a duct it would mean opening full lengths. So maybe clearing blockages? Just a mini digger, no spools. Lads are civils guys not telecoms I'm fairly sure. Hopefully it's IFN prep work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AuntAoife

babi-hrse wrote: »
    No the internal wiring is not going to be used. They're going to bring it up the duct then clip it along external walls and bring it through the external wall and install there. If you have a data point next to where they install you can patch the connection from the fibre termination to the other end of the internal wiring to move modem.
    If you get vodafone TV then they will be required to run a cat5 cable along skirting boards from where the modem is to the TV location as it's not wireless.
    With eir they will run cat5 along skirting if you want the modem in a different location.

Are you sure it's cat5, so 100Mb, even if your paying for 1000Mb?

Has anyone held out for an offer? They are asking to put a box on our house beside an upstairs window and to cut into the driveway to serve 5 houses. Guy asking for permission said they will likely have to make offers but he hasn't been given that info and wants the go ahead before any detail of an offer given.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭trant

I assume they meant Cat5e.

Little Island/Glounthaune Cork

15/7/2020 - KN/Circet team installing underground fibre ducting, with some poles having a black ducting cable spooled off quarter way up the pole
    29/7/2020 - Eir crew out replacing telephone poles
    26/8/2020 - Several KN/Circet crews with a mini-digger fixing collapsed ducts
    8/12/2020 - KN Circet crew fiddling at a few poles
    4/2/2021 - Eir crew started to blow fibre into existing ducting

Next steps:

DP install crew
    Splicing Crew
    Provisioning

Progress at least..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Kind Regards.”
    Do you mind me asking what part of D3 you're in? Am in East Wall here and wondering when and who will arrive first between Eir and Siro.

Also, I see mention of how providers get the lines into the house - for anyone in the know, is there anything I can do to facilitate that in the future if I'm getting work done to my driveway? In terms of putting something underground between door and curbside?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Just noticed there is a blue string tied around the copper cable where it comes up from the ground in my driveway. Wife said she thinks KN did it a couple of days ago.

Would that be them getting ready to pull the fibre connection to the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Eir to switch almost all Dublin, Cork, Limerick & city / town premises to fibre-to-the-home within 3 years, CEO says

https://mobile.twitter.com/adrianweckler/status/1359804648874467328

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

ED E wrote: »
    KN "cersei" trenching in our area Friday and today. Cutting 1m sections about every 1.5m then recovering and applying grass seed between existing TE era concrete manhole covers.

If they were laying a duct it would mean opening full lengths. So maybe clearing blockages? Just a mini digger, no spools. Lads are civils guys not telecoms I'm fairly sure. Hopefully it's IFN prep work.

Sub duct for optical DPs in place, coiled on poles. Potheads not placed yet.

Advertisement