Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Charlie and the chocolate factory

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Charlie And The Chocolate Factory with Johnny Depp , isn't a patch on the original Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory imo . Gene Wilder plays the part brilliantly .

100%.

Everything about the film is perfect....

Casting, characters, cinematography, acting, sets, script... the joy of it, the pure weirdness, malevolence and scariness ( if you are a kid ) at times... the film for my whole life defined Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

I absolutely love this movie.. I am saving it this Christmas waiting for my nephew (age 17) to watch it with me as we have done for the last 10 years or so. Plus wizard of oz!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I don't even like chocolate that much;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Panthro wrote: »
    That flipping boat ride is still bananas

One of the images that flashes up is a chicken being decapitated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

It gave rise to one of my favourite memes.

IMG-20201226-074143.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Valresnick

I love Grandpa Joe, i forgave him for stealing the fizzy lifting drinks as he hadn’t been out and about for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Valresnick wrote: »
    I love Grandpa Joe, i forgave him for stealing the fizzy lifting drinks as he hadn’t been out and about for a while.

Cos he is a disability cheat.....

Love this movie, I thought I was the only one who felt this way about Granpa Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Panthro wrote: »
    That flipping boat ride is still bananas

Little known fact, the dialogue appears as track 1 on Marilyn Mansons debut album.

Cos he is a disability cheat.....

Love this movie, I thought I was the only one who felt this way about Granpa Joe!

Joe was bed ridden for years with the others. Surviving off cabbage water and scraps. His legs suddenly healed when he saw how much it meant to Charlie that he should go with him to the factory. I’ll tell you this, there are not many grandads today that would step up to the plate like that ! Grandpa Joe is one in a million !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Valresnick wrote: »
    Joe was bed ridden for years with the others. Surviving off cabbage water and scraps. His legs suddenly healed when he saw how much it meant to Charlie that he should go with him to the factory. I’ll tell you this, there are not many grandads today that would step up to the plate like that ! Grandpa Joe is one in a million !

Yeah most would let his long suffering mother go....

Yeah most would let his long suffering mother go....

She had to work that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

Everything I see a teenager girl who butchers themselves in fake tan, I always reminded of this movie .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

It is weird that the book ends by starting straight into another book where Charlie gets a lift into space and ends up battling people-eating aliens, before Wonka turns Charlie's grandmother into a -2 year-old and they have to visit another world to rescue her.

Dahl was weird. The Vermicious Knids never made it into a film though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The eponymous Charlie only getting third billing in the closing credits, unusual. Peter Ostrum’s only film role.

Is he the blonde kid who played Charlie?

Not surprised, he was a poor actor

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Is he the blonde kid who played Charlie?

Not surprised, he was a poor actor

No, his character was poor. That was all acting.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

My fave film ....

Soundtrack is amazing ...

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

My favourite Christmas film, I still get anxiety every time I watch it in case Charlie doesn't find a ticket. ☺️

i still get anxiety looking at the oompa loompas they used to freak me out as a kid:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I did not get to see this film until my teens because my sister, who is older, had seen it and was really freaked out by the bit where Augustus Gloop is sucked up the tube of chocolate. So we could never watch it. This film is pretty scary (and that’s what makes it great).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I did not get to see this film until my teens because my sister, who is older, had seen it and was really freaked out by the bit where Augustus Gloop is sucked up the tube of chocolate. So we could never watch it. This film is pretty scary (and that’s what makes it great).

The ride on the boat is even more disturbing. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Charlie and the chocolate factory.

Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory.

The original & best IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

The film was released just before I was born. I probably saw it for the first time on TV around Christmas in the late 70s and it was a magical experience. You got to watch it year after year and only at Christmas until VHS came along and you could rent it. I loved everything about it and still do.

The chocolate room set was spectacular and in my early adult years, I discovered the film was made at Bavaria studios in Munich. In the late 1990s I had the good fortune of doing some work at the studios in a post production capacity. After about a week, I had the guts to ask a German colleague if she knew which stage the chocolate room set was built on. She hadn't a clue but after a bit of investigation she tracked down a lovely gentlemen who remembered working on the film. He brought me to the stage and to just stand in this huge empty space and see where this big set was built was a really great experience. He was even able to point out where different parts of the set were built. It was a real Hold your breath, make a wish, count to three moment for me.:D When all this Covid madness is over I'm bringing my 13 year old daughter to the studio as she still adores the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

I actually never saw Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory as a kid, watched it for the first time as an adult and I didn't really like it all that much. I think with quite a few movies, nostalgia is a big factor in our adult perception of a lot of films.

Obviously some films are just great films regardless, but Willy Wonka just didn't resonate with me at all.

I did like the Johnny Depp version, saw that one in the cinema and thought it was a pretty good adapation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Homelander wrote: »
    I actually never saw Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory as a kid, watched it for the first time as an adult and I didn't really like it all that much. I think with quite a few movies, nostalgia is a big factor in our adult perception of a lot of films.

Obviously some films are just great films regardless, but Willy Wonka just didn't resonate with me at all.

I did like the Johnny Depp version, saw that one in the cinema and thought it was a pretty good adapation.

I only read the book in the 80s along with the Glass lift follow up. The original book is a fabulous read and the narrative/similarities to the 1970 movie are still apparent in Dahl's script. I guess it being a musical and dumping wonka's back story separates it from the Burton/Depp version. But in the context of cinema the original production has stood the test of time because of what it did back then. Remember it was a box office failure for a variety of reasons and only achieved an iconic status many years later and IMO deserves it. I never judge on nostalgia. It is simply a very well made and great film in itself. It now stands apart from the book. The Burton/Depp version was a decent attempt at capturing the essence of the book, but won't be remembered due a completely different film making landscape in which it was made.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Maybe I'm by myself here by saying I didn't like the original or the reboot. Think the original was too before my time (12 years before I was born) and the remake was, well, it was just sh1t really. I'm like that though, if I don't see it at the time, I find it very hard to enjoy it. Take a tv show that appears to be univerally loved, The Wire. I tried watching it a few years ago, having missed it when it originally aired, but with modern tech I just couldn't get into it with all the old tech/methods.

Same with Star Wars, I really don't get the love of it but it's definitely a case of having to have been there when it released, because I don't care what anyone says, the acting and "FX" are shocking. The FX and story/idea was new when it released, so I can understand liking it from that point of view, but the acting... sweet baby jesus it's terrible. It didn't get any better with the second or third trilogies either.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

One of the finest children’s films ever made (if not THE finest) and a firm favourite of mine growing up. :) I was annoyed that you couldn’t get Wonka bars in the shops. Lol :D

When I was pretty young, mind, parts of Willy Wonka were very scary - the boat ride after the chocolate lake, the fates that befell the spoiled kids etc. Apart from Veruca Salt - was always delighted to see her exit!

I think it’s coming up on 50 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

It would be on my top 5 of all time hated films.
    Both the original and remake.
    Could never see the point of the storyline and I found the characters repulsive.

As for those orange things and that never ending song..spare me.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭UI_Paddy

Love the original, my dad isn't as big a movie fan as I am, but this is the one movie he saw as a kid I was lucky enough to be shown and enjoyed myself. Also have the Blu-Ray and I pop it in whenever I want to go back to it.

I think the remake was fine, only watched it twice, once when it was released in theatres and then again on Netflix recently. I'm happy it exists for the book purists, although it's not one I'd feel compelled to revisit often, or indeed buy a copy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement