Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal cameras

• 19-01-2021 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

I need to get and install cameras in a house. The house has broadband and we need 8 cameras ( 2 outdoors) 6 indoors.

They are to monitor a person who has a life long terminal illness but wants a certain amount of indepence, we will probably need to get a career in at some stage but they would like to try the cameras first.

We would need to be able to see the person on an app in real time and to be able to talk to them if need be. We dont need an on going subscription but we could use a memory card to record if we need to. I have looked at nest and ring and we will probably get ring unless you guys can recommend something.

Thanks a millin in advance for any help and Mods if this is in the wrong section please move.

CF

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'll start this with a caveat that I'm a massive Google Home fanboy so I'm probably biased but a friend of mine has an elderly mother who insisted on living at home without care and they were both worried and had some minor issues like fire alarm going off in the middle of the night because she decided to bake in the middle of the night. He picked up 3 of the indoor cameras on a deal, an external and a doorbell, the internals were in the hall outside her room, in the kitchen and covering the living room/downstairs hall, the doorbell camera covered the front of the house (as well as her leaving) and the external covered the back of the house. He setup routines to trigger events such as movement at night and stuff like that.

All that stuff might seem expensive but he did go to a local Carestore to see what they had and the google stuff worked out at a fraction of the price. The basis sub was ok for him but he did pay for the yearly sub just for a bit of peace of mind, especially as some people started calling around to the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭capefear

Clareman wrote: »
    I'll start this with a caveat that I'm a massive Google Home fanboy so I'm probably biased but a friend of mine has an elderly mother who insisted on living at home without care and they were both worried and had some minor issues like fire alarm going off in the middle of the night because she decided to bake in the middle of the night. He picked up 3 of the indoor cameras on a deal, an external and a doorbell, the internals were in the hall outside her room, in the kitchen and covering the living room/downstairs hall, the doorbell camera covered the front of the house (as well as her leaving) and the external covered the back of the house. He setup routines to trigger events such as movement at night and stuff like that.

All that stuff might seem expensive but he did go to a local Carestore to see what they had and the google stuff worked out at a fraction of the price. The basis sub was ok for him but he did pay for the yearly sub just for a bit of peace of mind, especially as some people started calling around to the house.

thanks for that. yea some so called freinds were calling to the house already and helping themselves to small valubles, fecking basta3ds

• Moderators Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭Spocker

Try the Blink range of cameras, the run off batteries, so easy to locate where you like https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/Blink+for+Home/page/380C81D6-2CD2-4737-9F42-0E40A18AF567?ref_=ast_bln

• Registered Users Posts: 8,828 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I've a few Ring cameras. They work really well, but they don't record to memory cards. You have to have the subscription to record. You don't need the subscription to just use the live view. The picture quality, the connection reliability and the app are all excellent.

Eufy make cameras that record to memory card and don't need a sub. Haven't used them myself, but I've seen people here posting about them.

https://uk.eufylife.com/products/t8400

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Arlo pro 2 & Q cameras work great. You can have up to 5 cameras without the need for subscription. They give you seven days of free cloud storage and the Prob 2's can save down to a SD card or usb drive depending on your setup. Works great for me. I have 5 cameras and a doorbell.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

If you are on a budget, then Yi Cameras might be worth considering.

Just £22 a piece:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/YI-Wireless-Security-Surveillance-Monitoring/dp/B074389PMT/ref=pd_all_pref_n_2?pd_rd_w=JZE9j&pf_rd_p=4d27882c-9fe7-40fd-a2ba-f8a742cae628&pf_rd_r=J27ZGP22ZC9KC8T57TMJ&pd_rd_r=a7c0e8d4-3b27-4a3f-9407-d91fba60d4e7&pd_rd_wg=nkmmm&pd_rd_i=B074389PMT&psc=1

And this Dome camera one, which you can control and move around might be particularly useful for this need, just £29:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07439PDMD?pf_rd_r=5S2AAGBYKFDWPJZT14KY&pf_rd_p=6e878984-68d5-4fd2-b7b3-7bc79d9c8b60

I've 4 Yi cameras which I use indoors and I find they work well, almost as well as much more expensive cameras I have.

Advertisement