Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best freebie

• 15-01-2021 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

What's the best freebie you ever got. Dont want anyone to incriminate themselves now. Nothing like picking up a tv and walking out of a shop. Im talking about a freebie "loophole" if there ever was such a thing. Heres my one - i ordered a few white goods items for the house and an extra appliance was included in my order by mistake. I didn't say anything to the delivery men or ring the shop - i know i know karma and do the right thing but ive held onto it and not heard anything since "touch wood".

Comments

First week of college, they had those flimsy stands in the main assembly encouraging geniuses like me to sign up with a student account. Hook, line and sinker. First suit I encountered, if you set up an account with AIB you get this free bag of popcorn. Done deal, munch and on I go. Another friendly face, if you register with Bank Of Ireland you receive a complimentary pizza voucher. I was still hungry so I couldn't say no. That was the last time I had any transaction with those banks, the letters stopped coming through the door after a few years. And the pizza? I remember it fondly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I won a new Mondeo in a draw. Technically not a freebie, as the ticket cost me €2.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,351 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

A free ticket to see the Planxty concert in 2004 at the Radisson in Galway, was some gig. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭sidcon

Bumped up to first class from JFK to Heathrow, for being late checking in.
    Taxi got stuck in traffic and with 1 left on gate they decided to sell my friend and my ticket, the look of horror from the check in desk as two scrawny 18 kids arrived😂😂
    Fillet Steak dinner and red wine on the plane home, fell asleep watching a movie to wake up with a blanket put over me to my surprise when we were landing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

Amazon delivered me two of the same lg smart tv, i did get onto them but they wanted me to pay to return it which i wasnt going to do, then they said were i lived was too far for their courier so could i drive it to the airport.

In the end that fair few hundred quid to them was nothing and told me to keep it. Sent me an email to say they will never come looking for the tv.

Harvey Norman sent me an xbox series X order i cancelled. Called to say this and manager drove diwn himself within 20 mins, he may post in this thread.

• Advertisement

First week of college, they had those flimsy stands in the main assembly encouraging geniuses like me to sign up with a student account. Hook, line and sinker. First suit I encountered, if you set up an account with AIB you get this free bag of popcorn. Done deal, munch and on I go. Another friendly face, if you register with Bank Of Ireland you receive a complimentary pizza voucher. I was still hungry so I couldn't say no. That was the last time I had any transaction with those banks, the letters stopped coming through the door after a few years. And the pizza? I remember it fondly.

It was a £5 note in my day. The price of a few pints.

Best free bee i ever scored was a Budwieser fleece from a rep at a promotion. There was the association with Bud thing, which took from it slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have been bumped to first class a few times (used to have a tonne of points) and always loved it but the one that stands out, I would say was an upgrade flying to South africa.
    We went via Addis Ababa, horrendous airport myself and other half wrecked. Waiting for flight to Cape town.
    Woman at desk getting a seriously tough time from another woman complaining about her seats.
    I looked over at her and gave her a smile and an eye roll. About a minute later she asked this lady to stand to the side. Waved me up.
    She bumped me and other half to first class and gave this lady our exit row seats...the look on her face lol.

I used to win a lot of free tickets to film premieres and gigs as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

When buying our house (new build), we opted to upgrade the fireplace. Difference between the standard one and the one we chose was €200, to be paid directly to the manufacturers. They never sent us the bill.

Ordered a plastic pan you use for changing car oil from eurocarparts. com. It was €7, about the size of a small basin. They delivered this massive 30 litre one for trucks or tractors that cost €120.

Told the about it, and they just sent me the correct part - didn't try to take the massive wrong one back. Which was actually a problem for me, as I had no need for it or place to keep it. Ended up giving it to a relative with a farm and a lot of big machinery.

Got bumped up to a nice suite in the G Hotel in Galway when I mentioned to the receptionist that we were there to celebrate our engagement.

For a long time Anker in China were shipping portable batteries. And if there was a problem with the battery they were not taking returns as it was too much effort.

So a few people - not saying if I am one of them - were ordering one of their more expensive models and then claiming it didn't work on arrival and they were simply shipped a second one for free.

2 for 1.

Not sure if they still work that way. This was about 5 years ago now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Had a knock on my door one day from a courier asking of I could take a parcel for the neighbour in the other apartment on my floor.
    He's an absolute ásshole, so reluctantly said yes.
    Didn't call around for it, for days, didn't answer his door when I knocked, eventually caught him in the hallway.
    He took it then 10 mins later banged on my door mumbled something about "this isn't me, that's not even my address" and insisted it was my issue. I told him to fúck off, I thought I was doing him a favour and closed my door.
    Opened it a few hours later to head out and the package was still there.

I contacted whomever the courier was the next morning but they were saying it wasnt their issue (it was, the address was definitely wrong). Opened it, to see a brand new PS4. Looks like it came from O2 or Carphone Warehouse. Contacted them and they were advising I drop it off at some depot. Told them there was absolutely no way I was doing that, they could come get it. Took all my details, said a courier was arranged ... and nothing. Never heard a peep from anyone again.

TL;dr. Free PS4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Two friends of mine had a package delivered to their flat. It was addressed to the flat upstairs, but the postman got no answer (they had actually just moved out). Since my mates knew the intended recipient had moved out, and they had no way of contacting them, they opened it up. Inside was two t-shirts, and when they unpacked them, a bag of grass fell out. One of them wasn't really into smoking, but the other was a stoner - so this was like a gift from the gods.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I got a note collect package for Joe Russian name like 12 letters
    Jo does not live here.
    It says you have 3 days to collect it from the post office
    I'll just go and say he does not live here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭GoatBoy74

razorblunt wrote: »
    Had a knock on my door one day from a courier asking of I could take a parcel for the neighbour in the other apartment on my floor.
    He's an absolute ásshole, so reluctantly said yes.
    Didn't call around for it, for days, didn't answer his door when I knocked, eventually caught him in the hallway.
    He took it then 10 mins later banged on my door mumbled something about "this isn't me, that's not even my address" and insisted it was my issue. I told him to fúck off, I thought I was doing him a favour and closed my door.
    Opened it a few hours later to head out and the package was still there.

I contacted whomever the courier was the next morning but they were saying it wasnt their issue (it was, the address was definitely wrong). Opened it, to see a brand new PS4. Looks like it came from O2 or Carphone Warehouse. Contacted them and they were advising I drop it off at some depot. Told them there was absolutely no way I was doing that, they could come get it. Took all my details, said a courier was arranged ... and nothing. Never heard a peep from anyone again.

TL;dr. Free PS4.

Mate gave me his car, it was a aul banger but I was broke and needed transport. Got 2 years out of it before all it was good for was scrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Floating right by the cashier with a tray of smithwicks on your shoulder on the way to the fleadh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I used to get in free to a few nightclubs back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Noticed my LPG Calor account was about 2 grand in the black vs the 300 to 400 it should have been in the red!!

Figured someone paid into my account by mistake so had to say it to them :pac: and yes that's what happened!

Was cheeky and asked for a hundred off my bill for the honesty but they said they couldn't :)

Was in England years ago and applied for a bookies job with a well known bookmakers. Interview went really well, they even said I should have interviewed for the trainee managers position they had going.

Was sure I would get the job but heard nothing back. At end of the next month got a payslip posted to me. Checked at ATM and wages were paid into my account. Burned the payslip and said nothing. Happened at end of next month also :D . Disappointed that they stopped.

Wouldn't say nothing now but was broke at the time and justified it as it was a bookmakers making millions of gambling addictions etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Your Face wrote: »
    I used to get in free to a few nightclubs back in the day.

Aunt and uncle ran one and would get free drink from the cousins serving. They would take my money so that other punters wouldn't complain and give me back the amount in change.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭corner of hells

6 doughnuts in packet where should've been only 5.
    Fvuk you Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Mimon wrote: »
    Noticed my LPG Calor account was about 2 grand in the black vs the 300 to 400 it should have been in the red!!

Figured someone paid into my account by mistake so had to say it to them :pac: and yes that's what happened!

Was cheeky and asked for a hundred off my bill for the honesty but they said they couldn't :)

Was in England years ago and applied for a bookies job with a well known bookmakers. Interview went really well, they even said I should have interviewed for the trainee managers position they had going.

Was sure I would get the job but heard nothing back. At end of the next month got a payslip posted to me. Checked at ATM and wages were paid into my account. Burned the payslip and said nothing. Happened at end of next month also :D . Disappointed that they stopped.

Wouldn't say nothing now but was broke at the time and justified it as it was a bookmakers making millions of gambling addictions etc!

Yes, both making millions of and millions off!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

thomil wrote: »
    On a mini cruise to Oslo a few years ago. I had booked an inside cabin as I was on a budget, but after checking in and getting to my cabin, it turns out that it was in fact an outside cabin with sweeping views aft, all without paying a cent to get upgraded. Not sure whether that was a mix-up in the system, a "stealth" upgrade

"stealth" upgrade?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I arrived in Alpe d'Huez without a ski pass. On the first morning (after a v. boozy first night) I made my way downtown to buy a pass. I was feeling well ropy so popped into a fairly fancy hotel for the hair of the dog.

In the reception there was a sizeable group getting an introduction and I happened to sit down beside them to fix my boots before popping into the bar. With that a rep put a tray of Kir Royale in front of me- "Welcome" she said. Niiiice. Perfect, no rush here.

I knocked the drink back and pushing my luck I caught the eye of the generous hostess to which she returned with the tray of drink, took my empty glass, gave me a full one.
    Then she took a lanyard from one of the many that were hanging from her neck. "Vous voila" she said with the nicest of smiles and off she went through the group passing out the lanyards.

It was a full pass! Probably about £125 (it was circa 1996). I lashed back the Kir and ran back to my mates in the lodge.

The ski pass worked a dream and I got to see lots of runs/restaurant/mountains I wouldn't have as I would never have bought the top of the range pass. Great holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭beerguts

I got a free pen and keyring back in college. All I had to do was sign up to young Fine Gael.
    Now que the Shinner brigade to attack this post and turn it into a debate about the merits of a United Ireland in about 4 to 5 pages

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Well known clothing brand had a fiver voucher free when you signed up for newsletter. There was a sale going on with free delivery with no min spend. Pair of socks were 3.somthing. Ordered about 20 pairs of socks for myself and a few friends for free. The fiver off newsletter was changed shortly after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

The morning shot on a one night stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭josip

A friend got lucky with a local girl one night in NZ years ago.
    He found out later on that she was the town hooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I applied through work for an elite MBA, and was accepted. The deal was you'd have to give a 2 year commitment to the company after graduating. Went ahead and graduated. Our company went through a re-org about 6 months into my two year MBA, and when I went to leave the HR department didn't even have a record of paying for it. I was good to go.

Saved me about 50k in fees, and I moved to a rival who were willing to pay me almost 40% more.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,781 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

my first car was a gift from my parents... I passed my test first time in their car around the same time that my parents were due to trade in their car, about 11 or 12 years ago... without saying anything they’d gone off to the garage to do the deal... but arrived home with two cars, I’m scratching my head... their old car, my dad driving, a 4 year old wine Qashqai but the new one too... he gets out “ here, we couldn’t part with it, yours “ and hands me the keys with a smile “... I’m still bowled over thinking about it..

Apart from that, a mobile phone in another job, not a work one it was a gift from the client, we all got one...in the early days of mobile phones so was delighted.

Lived out an extra month in my last place figuring they were taking it from the deposit. When it was time to move, they gave me almost all the deposit back. I lived there for three years paying six months at a time and then they stung me for missing teaspoons, so I didn't say anything and took the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 aslanroars

my best freebies was concerts tickets for the old point theater croke park rds etc.worked for city council sweeping lesson st.there was a,promoter on the street twice a week id take bags of rubbish from his office.his office was full of cds and gold records on wall.he give me any cds I wanted.plus he d give me loads of free concert tickets that year got bon Jovi metticla Bryan Adam's bork .sisters of mercy .one day he offered me 4 tickets for new dance show .turned him down.turned out it was opening night of river dance.think he ended up managing Michael Flatley before he died.nice guy Chris Roche.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Had a few, back in Wales in the mid 90's Coke ran a competition, if ya had a certain number under your ringpull then call Atlantic 252 Radio, i did just that and won a 4 night stay in Budapest, funny thing was even the can of coke was free as it was from a voucher in The Sun paper.
    Bit of a nightmare on the way home, had to go from Budapest via Frankfurt to Manchester. Get on the bus to take us to plane in Frankfurt and it's FULL of scumbag England fans, they'd just played in Italy and drew i think which qualified them for World Cup.
    All these scum fans hadn't travelled direct from UK to Italy as were on the watchlist so went via Germany, flight from hell.

A more recent one, went to Harvey Norman to get a laptop on credit, must have been about 10yrs ago now as money was tight back then, wife said we have to also get one for her ma for Christmas, so these 2 laptops came to just under 2k, guy in HN asked us to go back in an hour or so as he had to get credit approval as it was for 2 laptops, left store and he'd rang us within 5mins saying all good and to come back.

Filled paperwork in and left with 2 laptops, got a call from them 6wks later saying Direct Debit hadn't gone out as they had filled in wrong paperwork and needed me to go back to store with my passport and do it all again, which i did.

They rang me again a few months later saying they had lost the original paperwork and could i go back into store again, told them i would but forgot, never heard a thing about that one since so 2 free laptops

Advertisement