Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

5K & 10K Training Plans

Options
  • 02-01-2021 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a training plan they have used for a fast 5K and 10K? I want to beat my current 5K goal time ( 24 mins ) and get it down to 22minutes or less if possible and do a 10K in under 50 minutes.

I was signing up and joining my local Athletics club but the new restrictions put an end to that and they're closed. I am running 4 times a week and once every two weeks I will do sprints on a flat, I warm-up for 1K slow followed by 200m x 8 and jog for 1.5K warm down. I should be doing this a lot more.

I was hoping someone here might have a plan they love and one they always go back to, the tried and trusted you would recommend and post up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Klopp wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a training plan they have used for a fast 5K and 10K? I want to beat my current 5K goal time ( 24 mins ) and get it down to 22minutes or less if possible and do a 10K in under 50 minutes.

I was signing up and joining my local Athletics club but the new restrictions put an end to that and they're closed. I am running 4 times a week and once every two weeks I will do sprints on a flat, I warm-up for 1K slow followed by 200m x 8 and jog for 1.5K warm down. I should be doing this a lot more.

I was hoping someone here might have a plan they love and one they always go back to, the tried and trusted you would recommend and post up?

Evan Scully might be worth a look

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

I'm 51 and would consider myself a recreational runner. I just completed a 10K training plan via my Garmin watch (to keep myself motivated) if you have one, or Strava are offering 2 free months which includes training plans. The Strava plan would be completed within the two months.

Loads of options available online, but when you're looking to beat a specific time it should generate a pace accordingly and most (free) online plans are generic and so don't really take into account the time you want to do.

The Garmin plan was over 14 weeks and had me doing most easy runs about 40 to 90secs above my target pace which was 4-42 to beat 47mins. You want to beat 50mins so your target pace is around 5mins per K. Now I'll be honest, I picked 47mins as my current best 5k time is 23-23 (ran during the plan) and my parkrun was 23-33, so I doubled that time. The plan finished on Jan 1st and I had hoped to do a quick 10k that day but the roads and paths were just too slippy around me, Garmin was confident I'd do it, me, I was so-so. My best previous 10K (race) was 48-46, so was a big ask to drop nearly 2mins. During the plan I had ran 7 consecutive K's under or around the target time of 4-42 but it took it out of me.

The plan's runs were set on time rather than distance, with the longest run been 90mins. There were a lot of runs where you ran very fast (for me) for 20secs and 1min with recoveries in between, these went from 5 repeats to 15 repeats. It had me doing tempo and progressive runs where you increased pace over 40 to 50mins. The week normally went like this, long run sunday 1min to 90secs above target pace and 60 to 90 mins in length. Rest monday, easy run Tuesday, 40secs to 80secs above target pace and 40 to 50mins in length. Weds was either a tempo run or interval repeats followed by rest day on Thurs. Friday was another tempo or interval run and Saturday was an easy run.

I enjoyed the plan but definitely found some of the runs to be very hard, my fitness has most certainly improved. I hope had I been able to run in a race (and therefore quicker than by myself) I would have got close to the 47min target but the idea was always to keep me running when it was easier to sit on the couch.

I stuck rigidly to the plan and didn't add time or extra distance if I felt the run was too easy.

You could pay €20/€30 for an online plan, so you might as well pay for a subscription to the likes of Strava etc and get the benefit of the full 12 months, I actually availed of a 2 month trial for Strava and then took the option of the annual subscription (€59.99) plus two months free, so I really got 16 months for the price of 12. I paid for the subscription as I signed up to do the Ray Darcy Laura Lynn challenge and it links Strava to your iDonate page. I'm also doing (fingers crossed) the Cork Marathon this year and so might either use a Garmin or Strava plan to help me with this, did Dublin (2019) in 4hrs 29mins and 50secs, I had paced myself to finish in 4hrs 30mins and so would hope to do 4hrs20/25mins for Cork. So paying for a subscription rather than an individual plan makes more sense as you may want to do further distances over the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Klopp

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    I'm 51 and would consider myself a recreational runner. I just completed a 10K training plan via my Garmin watch (to keep myself motivated) if you have one, or Strava are offering 2 free months which includes training plans. The Strava plan would be completed within the two months.

Loads of options available online, but when you're looking to beat a specific time it should generate a pace accordingly and most (free) online plans are generic and so don't really take into account the time you want to do.

The Garmin plan was over 14 weeks and had me doing most easy runs about 40 to 90secs above my target pace which was 4-42 to beat 47mins. You want to beat 50mins so your target pace is around 5mins per K. Now I'll be honest, I picked 47mins as my current best 5k time is 23-23 (ran during the plan) and my parkrun was 23-33, so I doubled that time. The plan finished on Jan 1st and I had hoped to do a quick 10k that day but the roads and paths were just too slippy around me, Garmin was confident I'd do it, me, I was so-so. My best previous 10K (race) was 48-46, so was a big ask to drop nearly 2mins. During the plan I had ran 7 consecutive K's under or around the target time of 4-42 but it took it out of me.

The plan's runs were set on time rather than distance, with the longest run been 90mins. There were a lot of runs where you ran very fast (for me) for 20secs and 1min with recoveries in between, these went from 5 repeats to 15 repeats. It had me doing tempo and progressive runs where you increased pace over 40 to 50mins. The week normally went like this, long run sunday 1min to 90secs above target pace and 60 to 90 mins in length. Rest monday, easy run Tuesday, 40secs to 80secs above target pace and 40 to 50mins in length. Weds was either a tempo run or interval repeats followed by rest day on Thurs. Friday was another tempo or interval run and Saturday was an easy run.

I enjoyed the plan but definitely found some of the runs to be very hard, my fitness has most certainly improved. I hope had I been able to run in a race (and therefore quicker than by myself) I would have got close to the 47min target but the idea was always to keep me running when it was easier to sit on the couch.

I stuck rigidly to the plan and didn't add time or extra distance if I felt the run was too easy.

You could pay €20/€30 for an online plan, so you might as well pay for a subscription to the likes of Strava etc and get the benefit of the full 12 months, I actually availed of a 2 month trial for Strava and then took the option of the annual subscription (€59.99) plus two months free, so I really got 16 months for the price of 12. I paid for the subscription as I signed up to do the Ray Darcy Laura Lynn challenge and it links Strava to your iDonate page. I'm also doing (fingers crossed) the Cork Marathon this year and so might either use a Garmin or Strava plan to help me with this, did Dublin (2019) in 4hrs 29mins and 50secs, I had paced myself to finish in 4hrs 30mins and so would hope to do 4hrs20/25mins for Cork. So paying for a subscription rather than an individual plan makes more sense as you may want to do further distances over the year.

I have a Garmin and have looked at the coaching options that comes with it but the time don't suit me for some of the days and the weekends. I am lazy when it comes to following a plan, i usually follow for a week and tail off after and go back to my regular running. I wanted to have a couple of goals going into January and 5K and 10K while both short to me would be perfect. I have made my own plans based on a few i come across online but again never stick. I did sign up for the Cork Marathon last year but that got cancelled. I would join the local Athletics club but they have closed for new members until February and based on the current Government guidelines that are going to the case for a while longer, I think this would be more suited to me.

Congrats on completing the Garmin plan, maybe this is something i need to go back and look again. I'll have look at the 5K plan and if I can do this might spur me on for more and getting more out of Garmin and Strava which I also use.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I love to read what other people plans see them making progress. Keep it, will get easier when we get those long evenings and warmer weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Ceepo

When are you hoping to have a go at breaking your 5k and 10k times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

I have used this to calculate training pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

I have a Garmin and have looked at the coaching options that comes with it but the time don't suit me for some of the days and the weekends. I am lazy when it comes to following a plan, i usually follow for a week and tail off after and go back to my regular running. I wanted to have a couple of goals going into January and 5K and 10K while both short to me would be perfect. I have made my own plans based on a few i come across online but again never stick. I did sign up for the Cork Marathon last year but that got cancelled. I would join the local Athletics club but they have closed for new members until February and based on the current Government guidelines that are going to the case for a while longer, I think this would be more suited to me.

Congrats on completing the Garmin plan, maybe this is something i need to go back and look again. I'll have look at the 5K plan and if I can do this might spur me on for more and getting more out of Garmin and Strava which I also use.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I love to read what other people plans see them making progress. Keep it, will get easier when we get those long evenings and warmer weather.

You don't need an overly complicated plan. If you run 4 days per week currently, then you want 2 easy runs, to get your pace for these easy runs stick a current 5k time into this calculator and click on the 'Training Paces' tab and lookup the table to find your 'Easy' run pace. Once a week do a few intervals - this doesn't need to be complicated either. Take your 'CV' pace from the calculator above and do a few intervals about this pace or else just run fast enough that you are working hard but not flogging yourself - start with 8 * 1 minutes, following week 6 * 2 mins, 4 * 3 mins, 5 * 3mins, 4 * 4mins, 6*3mins, 4 * 4mins, 5 * 4mins, 6 * 4mins. At the weekend or on a day that suits do a longer run, to start with this could be just 10 mins longer than your easy runs during the week but you could add a few minutes every week. Every 3 or 4 weeks have an easier week, just reduce everything back a bit and let the body recover and absorb the training you've put in.

Keep it simple, consistency is your friend here, no bells and whistles necessary just a simple plan that is doable and enjoyable :)

Ceepo wrote: »
    When are you hoping to have a go at breaking your 5k and 10k times

I hadn't set any dates as of yet but I did set up the Garmin 5K earlier and did the benchmark run followed by another slow 3K. I am determined to stick with this and see it through, my training has become somewhat boring and I need to mix it up hence setting short term goals for the 5K and 10K.
    Reg'stoy wrote: »
    I have used this to calculate training pace.

I love it thanks, this is exactly what I need and will set up on my Garmin shortly.
    ariana` wrote: »
    You don't need an overly complicated plan. If you run 4 days per week currently, then you want 2 easy runs, to get your pace for these easy runs stick a current 5k time into this calculator and click on the 'Training Paces' tab and lookup the table to find your 'Easy' run pace. Once a week do a few intervals - this doesn't need to be complicated either. Take your 'CV' pace from the calculator above and do a few intervals about this pace or else just run fast enough that you are working hard but not flogging yourself - start with 8 * 1 minutes, following week 6 * 2 mins, 4 * 3 mins, 5 * 3mins, 4 * 4mins, 6*3mins, 4 * 4mins, 5 * 4mins, 6 * 4mins. At the weekend or on a day that suits do a longer run, to start with this could be just 10 mins longer than your easy runs during the week but you could add a few minutes every week. Every 3 or 4 weeks have an easier week, just reduce everything back a bit and let the body recover and absorb the training you've put in.

Keep it simple, consistency is your friend here, no bells and whistles necessary just a simple plan that is doable and enjoyable :)

This is it exactly, I want to keep it simple but be consistent at the same time. The last few weeks I was finding my runs boring but I still love getting out for a run and always get out. I needed variety, a goal or two to aim for and to focus. The fact there is so much uncertainty with races and Marathons is making it harder but in the last 9 months I have learned to love running. I will certainly keep it simple now and use the Garmin function this week and more so give myself a break too, something I never do, love it so much at the moment and i don't want to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

You can actually change the days of the week on the Garmin plans - not sure if you're looking at their standard one for all plans or the coached plans (which adapt to your feedback on each run and you only get your schedule the week before). I'd highly recommend the coached plans but they're only available for newer watches. It is a bit like having a coach in that I don't have to think about anything, just go to the run on the watch and press start.

You can actually change the days of the week on the Garmin plans - not sure if you're looking at their standard one for all plans or the coached plans (which adapt to your feedback on each run and you only get your schedule the week before). I'd highly recommend the coached plans but they're only available for newer watches. It is a bit like having a coach in that I don't have to think about anything, just go to the run on the watch and press start.

I didn't realize you could change this but came across the option during the week. The first week is almost over, so far so good.

Advertisement