Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Air pollution issue from next door business

Options
  • 19-11-2020 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

I live next-door to a small joinery and Ive noticed in the last few months they've taken to burning saw dust in an open fire of an adjoining house, its no longer lived in but is owned by the joiners family. I live in a town and whilst I'm well aware pollution and bad air quality go hand in hand with this I find these emissions very bad to the extent I can't breath outside my front door.

Today however there're two fires going one from the house/chimney and another from the yard and the smoke is permeating through the whole town, its really bad. I have thought about ringing the council but I can predict their answer an ignorant one. Thats not to say that they are stupid but just that enforcement in Ireland is incredibly weak on this front and the wider population is not informed about such issues.

What can/should one do in this scenario. :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the council should send an environmental protection officer around.

if they signal to you that they don't want to, ring the department of the environment (i once did in relation to meath county council being utterly incredulous that i'd report illegal dumping of C&D waste, but a woman i got talking to in the department was very helpful).

If the Council do FA, complain to the EPA.

http://www.epa.ie/enforcement/report/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭enricoh

I'd write an anonymous letter to the joiner saying that the burning of the dust is affecting your asthma.
    Ask him to stop and if not you'll be onto the epa crowd. It should sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

enricoh wrote: »
    I'd write an anonymous letter to the joiner saying that the burning of the dust is affecting your asthma.

This guy is a real git and is known as one around the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭enricoh

This guy is a real git and is known as one around the area.

Both barrels so!

• Advertisement

Doubt there's a council that will put up with this nonsense
    Air pollution is a big thing at the moment

enricoh wrote: »

Bad idea. Leave it to the authorities.

Bad idea. Leave it to the authorities.

This.

Let them do their jobs

(Out of curiosity, which LA? No worries if you don't want to reveal!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

If it's treated timber the chemicals coming off it when burned would be particularly harmful.

Still get farmers burning plastic in country areas a lot. Some people just have no cop on when it comes to awareness of harm they may be doing to people or the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Not really anything to do with the OP's issue though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Mimon wrote: »
    Not really anything to do with the OP's issue though.

It was for the other air quality thread I believe.

Advertisement