Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firewood for woodstove

• 08-04-2011 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭

About to get a stove installed; now I'm wondering about the firewood. How much is it, where do you get it, all that.

For instance, I've seen this on donedeal.ie

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/heating/2047083

but have no idea if this is a good deal or bad, as I don't know how fast it'll burn, etc. All help and information gratefully accepted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nophd08

About to get a stove installed; now I'm wondering about the firewood. How much is it, where do you get it, all that.

For instance, I've seen this on donedeal.ie

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/heating/2047083

but have no idea if this is a good deal or bad, as I don't know how fast it'll burn, etc. All help and information gratefully accepted.

Dont waste your money, I presume you will store your wood in a shed or even outside so it will reabsorb moisture fairly quick. Just go for a normal load of hardwood, beech or ash if you can get it. 150-200 should get you a decent trailer load.
    Idealy your wood needs to be seasoned so its a good idea to stock up now and keep it under cover or in a shed for next winter.
    Have a search on the renewable energies forum, lots of threads about timber etc or post on farming and forestry, you might get some info there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

nophd08 wrote: »
    Have a search on the renewable energies forum

Can't seem to find it. Where is it, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nophd08

Can't seem to find it. Where is it, please?

In construction and planning.
    Try here also http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68928835

Ah, thanks. Sometimes the thread geography on Boards is a little strange.

Edit: where do I find Construction and Planning? Can you give me the complete path for the forum, if you'd be so kind?

Oh, found it. Rec/Home&Garden/Construction&Planning/RenewableEnergies. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KM88

nophd08 wrote: »
    Just go for a normal load of hardwood, beech or ash if you can get it. 150-200 should get you a decent trailer load.

OK, hardwood I understand but can you define "normal load" and "decent trailer load". Oil is sold in litres and coal in Kg but timber is sold in "loads". :confused:

• Advertisement

KM88 wrote: »
    OK, hardwood I understand but can you define "normal load" and "decent trailer load". Oil is sold in litres and coal in Kg but timber is sold in "loads". :confused:

Exactly! I've seen it quoted in 'cubes' (cubic metres, I assume); tonne bags (roughly the same, apparently), 'cords' (?) and 8' x 4' trailer load - as I don't know how deep this is, I'm not sure if this is a cubic metre or two cubic metres.

I've seen warnings against buying wood by weight, as wet wood weighs heavier, and is just what you don't want.

I'm told that ash is a nice wood to buy, if possible. This site http://www.thegreenlivingforum.net has a forum on woodburning which has some good advice, including photos of different types of wood for recognition.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KM88

Exactly! I've seen it quoted in 'cubes' (cubic metres, I assume); tonne bags (roughly the same, apparently), 'cords' (?) and 8' x 4' trailer load - as I don't know how deep this is, I'm not sure if this is a cubic metre or two cubic metres.

Week after week in my local paper you can buy timber in €100, €150 or €300 loads. :confused:

Not to mention that it's a Wild West industry - no inspection of installation of stoves, no inspection of wood for standards of any kind, as far as I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Not to mention that it's a Wild West industry - no inspection of installation of stoves, no inspection of wood for standards of any kind, as far as I can see.

Dont Agree: at least in the wild west u knew who the bad guys and dolls were, in this business you have no clue:D

Advertisement