Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dubrovnick question

• 29-06-2019 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭

Over here at the moment and we have done the usual's around Dubrovnick. We have use of a car and wondered if anyone who has been here can recommend places to see if we went a bit further a field in any direction. Is it worth going across the border into Montenegro or Bosnia.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

cubix wrote: »
    Over here at the moment and we have done the usual's around Dubrovnick. We have use of a car and wondered if anyone who has been here can recommend places to see if we went a bit further a field in any direction. Is it worth going across the border into Montenegro or Bosnia.

How far are you willing to travel? Most car hire companies put a fee on you if you travel into Montenegro or Bosnia, unless you're passing through.

I love Dubrovnic, always changing but fiercely expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Go for a drive along the walls of ston. Quite impressive.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Car99 wrote: »

Wheres this now?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

You can drive up to the top of the mountain that the cable car from dubrovnik goes to? Bit hairy if you are a nervous driver though.

Also i drove to kotor and budva in montenegro. Kotor bay is beautiful and the town itself is noce. Budva is like a russian torremolinos, but it too has a nice old town. I was warned by the rental company that i was not allowed to drive to bosnia, not sure if it was insurance or wht

• Registered Users Posts: 25,317 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

retalivity wrote: »
    I was warned by the rental company that i was not allowed to drive to bosnia, not sure if it was insurance or wht

Could be any one of...

1. Newish cars are at risk of being stolen to order

2. Poor roads

3. Atrocious local driving habits

4. Staged accidents followed by fraudulent insurance claims. Driving a rental car in a poor country, you're a sitting duck for this scam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Go to Kotor Bay in Montenegro if you get a chance. It is a beautiful bay surrounded by mountains and although it mightn't sound like much the scenery is spectacular. The old town of Kotor is nice to walk around as well with some nice restaurants and bars. It's been a couple of years since I've been but from memory it's about an hour or so from Dubrovnik airport. Even the drive there is class with the winding roads and the bay in the distance. Do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Sully wrote: »
    Car99 wrote: »

Wheres this now?

https://www.thedubrovniktimes.com/times-travel/item/1414-the-stone-walls-of-ston

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Funnily enough just back from Dubrovnik and did the trip to Montenegro by bus to a place called Budva (where I was staying for two nights)

The scenery is quite spectacular on entering Montenegro but there's a catch.

Montenegro is not in the European Union. Therefore passport checks on leaving Croatia AND entering Montenegro are required leading to delays of up to an hour.

There are some nice towns around like Kotor and others thereafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Funnily enough just back from Dubrovnik and did the trip to Montenegro by bus to a place called Budva (where I was staying for two nights)

The scenery is quite spectacular on entering Montenegro but there's a catch.

Montenegro is not in the European Union. Therefore passport checks on leaving Croatia AND entering Montenegro are required leading to delays of up to an hour.

There are some nice towns around like Kotor and others thereafter.
    Jesus, you must have been going through at a bad time. I've done that crossing quite a few times and have never been delayed for more than maybe ten minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭cubix

Thanks All to your replies, very much appreciated.
    Driving wise would most likely try and keep it to approx 1.5hrs each way as I'm sure I would have a mini revolt on hands if I did my usual "let's see where it takes us". We are based up in Konavle so inbetween Dubrovnik and Montenegro border

Car rental told us when we picked up it was another E50euro re going outside Croatia

Just read on the local newspaper the Dubrovnik cable car re opened this morning so happy days. Was going to drive up and see the view/grab a coffee and do a musem

Might look at driving up and getting a boat to Mljet. Seem like something for all, cycling/ kayak / swimming

Ston looks interesting, thanks. But may have to wait a day as I marched the gang around the city walls yesterday in 30+

Like any popular tourist spot it is pricey no different than temple bar I'm sure. We have been doing a mix of eating out and in purley as it suited us and we're we are staying is out in the sticks so very relaxing. You can choose not to eat in the hotspots but there is no way round the attractions which I think should be better prices.

The only real non starter and would recommend skipping and spending elsewhere was Lokrum. Boat over is free but they have a landing charge which worked out at approx E65 for four. Very little to see

Meant to ask any work around Dubrovnik parking which seems to be 40KN an hour compared to Cavat etc which is 10KN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭green n gold

Was in Croatia in september 2 years ago . Done a day trip to both Bosnia and Montenegro . The drive to Bosnia was pretty plain scenery wise , border crossing took a little time alright . I always wanted to stand on bridge in Mostar where christian west meets muslim east ,i have to say i was glad i did it , was a beautiful magical spot. You are very aware of the turmoil of recent confilct there . Returned back by Medjugorje , what a tack disappointment that was in my opinion . Not sure what i was expecting tbh but it felt like a rip off culture is all there .
    Montenegro day trip to Kotor and budva was well worth doing, beautiful scenery and a comfortable days driving with stops . Maybe i was lucky but the border crossing was a breeze , just a few mins each way . Currency wise - Bosnian Mark , besides Medjugorje, Bosnia is very cheap for everything (petrol is cheaper than in Croatia ). Montenegro must ave been Euros , i definitely didnt change money for there.

Pighead wrote: »
    Jesus, you must have been going through at a bad time. I've done that crossing quite a few times and have never been delayed for more than maybe ten minutes.

It might be ok if you're in a car . . . but in a bus . . . forget about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

Medjugorje

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Mostar and Kotor are well worth visiting.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Kotor is nice. Mostar is also worth a visit. You could try Shkodër in Albania as well for something a bit different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭cubix

Did the cable car the other night after it reopened. Nice novelty but over to quick, seemed like three or four minutes. Made the mistake of getting a return as opposed to taxi back down or doing the path on the hillside. Think it was in or about E95 for four return, similar price to walking the walls.

Done Mljet today, nice island but if thinking of going would suggest getting on the road early as you will loss an hour each way on the road and another hour or so on the ferry and last one leaves the Island for 19:00

Did the cable car the other night after it reopened. Nice novelty but over to quick, seemed like three or four minutes. Made the mistake of getting a return as opposed to taxi back down or doing the path on the hillside. Think it was in or about E95 for four return, similar price to walking the walls.

Done Mljet today, nice island but if thinking of going would suggest getting on the road early as you will loss an hour each way on the road and another hour or so on the ferry and last one leaves the Island for 19:00

It's 200 Kuna to walk the wall. . . nearly €28. . . A complete rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Was in Dubrovnik last year and went to Mostar for a night, highly recommended (although we didn't drive). Lovely food, very friendly people, extremely cheap, beautiful markets and bridge, it is completely different to Dubrovnik and has a lot of Muslim influences in the city. You could probably go to Medugorje or the Kravica Waterfalls along the way if you were driving too, we didn't do either of these but would have liked to have done the waterfalls.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 niteowles

Was in Croatia in september 2 years ago .
    Montenegro must ave been Euros , i definitely didnt change money for there.

Croatia is a member of the EU and the currency is the Croatian Kuna about 7 of them to the euro. While in Montenegro they use the Euro even though they are not members of the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭bungaro79

Rented a car at Dubrovnik airport and did one day trip to Kotor and another to Mostar. Highly recommend doing both. The Bay of Kotor is something else. No hassle at any of the borders either

• Advertisement
Advertisement