Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pathway into secondary teaching

• 28-06-2019 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hiya everyone.

Asking on behalf of a cousin who isn't signed up to boards, so thought I would ask the knowledgeable boardies.

If a person, 33 years old, wanted to become a science teacher, is there any accelerated pathway to becoming qualified?

I understand that there is a demand for teachers in the STEM subjects.

The person has a B.A in history and geography, subjects which are over saturated with teachers, and a masters in an unrelated field.

Would they need an undergrad degree in science? Or is there any accelerated learning/intern program for the stem subjects.

Thanks for any feedback, it is appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Hiya everyone.

Asking on behalf of a cousin who isn't signed up to boards, so thought I would ask the knowledgeable boardies.

If a person, 33 years old, wanted to become a science teacher, is there any accelerated pathway to becoming qualified?

I understand that there is a demand for teachers in the STEM subjects.

The person has a B.A in history and geography, subjects which are over saturated with teachers, and a masters in an unrelated field.

Would they need an undergrad degree in science? Or is there any accelerated learning/intern program for the stem subjects.

Thanks for any feedback, it is appreciated

The Universities are trying to cope with a lack of teachers by offering teacher training courses.
    They will take you in for a teacher training course one year at the start so you dont have to do a H.Dip at the end. They are pushing this idea at VTOS.
    The course you are looking for is "Science through education".
    Then you start your 4 year honours degree. This course is aimed at students from not traditional teacher families, migrants and travellers and mature students.

I dont think there is any easy way to get a degree, the way you are suggesting. I suggest you talk to a university about a masters in Education instead

Advertisement