Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

~ Pre-Clearance and PassportControl queries ~

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Original poster back with an update!

Arrived in the airport 4 hours ahead of departure time yesterday and got through security and passport control in under 20 minutes!! this was at 12 midday so a pretty busy time usually. Flew in and out of Brussels International airport. no problems for me thankfully :)

Except for waiting in an airport for 3 hours 40 minutes before your flight!!
    Perhaps some queuing would have been welcome to help pass the time:p

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ozbackineire

Just chilled out, people watched, read a book, had some food! the time went by very quickly. preferred that than standing in a Q for 4 hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Mod Note:

Maybe keep an eye on the Aviation & Aircraft forum, esp this thread.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Will be flying Dublin to Abu Dhabi on EY42 Thursday morning at 09:25am, will be driving a long distance so was wondering would the standard 2hrs before abe cceptable to arrive in Dublin Airport between 7am to 7:25am, some people have said I'd need three hours is what is being advised now but I'm unsure.

Also as I'm not overly familiar with Dublin traffic I'm wondering what would the M50 be like between 6:30am to 7:25am on a Thursday morning between the Red Cow going to the Airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Doltanian wrote: »
    Will be flying Dublin to Abu Dhabi on EY42 Thursday morning at 09:25am, will be driving a long distance so was wondering would the standard 2hrs before abe cceptable to arrive in Dublin Airport between 7am to 7:25am, some people have said I'd need three hours is what is being advised now but I'm unsure.

Also as I'm not overly familiar with Dublin traffic I'm wondering what would the M50 be like between 6:30am to 7:25am on a Thursday morning between the Red Cow going to the Airport.

I just don't understand this. Why would you want to cut it fine if you're driving a long distance to the airport. Get there early, relax, sleep on the plane.

One small accident on the M50 and you miss your flight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Flying Friday from T1 @ 9.40 gate closes at 9.10, guessing 8am is a safe time to arrive in the airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭VG31

Gamebred wrote: »
    Flying Friday from T1 @ 9.40 gate closes at 9.10, guessing 8am is a safe time to arrive in the airport?

That should be fine. 8 am is one of the quieter times of the day in my experience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 malcomb3

Hi all. I'm traveling to the US next in a few months and I'm anxious about the preclearance which I have never used before. What kind of questions will I be asked? Will it matter that I am not working?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,144 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

'Where are you going?' was the only question I was asked 2 weeks ago

They can't tell if you're working or not

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

They probably won't ask you anything, if they do it will be stuff like where are you going, who are you staying with, why are you going there or how long will you be staying.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,853 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

malcomb3 wrote: »
    Hi all. I'm traveling to the US next in a few months and I'm anxious about the preclearance which I have never used before. What kind of questions will I be asked? Will it matter that I am not working?

They can ask you any questions that they want. Usually the question isn't important it's the answer they are looking at. Don't volunteer information just answer the question asked and unless they instigate don't tell jokes.

Thanks

What checks do they do for electronic devices such as a laptop? Will I need to turn it on?

What checks do they do for electronic devices such as a laptop? Will I need to turn it on?

Immigration can require you to turn on and give the password to any device you are carrying, along with the password for any email/social media accounts.

For security it's best to have some battery as they sometimes ask to see it working to make sure that it's not got contraband inside.

Del2005 wrote: »

Immigration can require you to turn on and give the password to any device you are carrying, along with the password for any email/social media accounts.

For security it's best to have some battery as they sometimes ask to see it working to make sure that it's not got contraband inside.

Social media logins seems insane but okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,144 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

No, you probably won't have to turn it on. We had phones turned on, tablets off. Made no difference

TBH I think you're over thinking it a little. They see thousands of people each day and don't have time to interrogate everybody. Once you have your ESTA and your passport matches that and the flight, you'll be done in seconds

Social media logins seems insane but okay.

They are checking for people trying to immigrate illegally into their country. Having your Bon Voyage party pics on your social media would be a giveaway.

A lot of companies are stopping their staff from bringing work laptop's on international flights as the immigration in every country demands the right to access all media that is carried regardless of the how confidential it is or it being Intellectual property.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

I flew to Southampton this week. I had absolutely no issue flying over, I didn't even need a passport, just some form of photo ID.

On the way back however it was a different story. I was hoping to get through Dublin airport quickly as I had to catch a bus. Of course, what am I greeted by at Dublin airport? A massive queue at passport control. Why is it that when travelling within the EU that I still have to prove who I am using a passport? What would happen if I didn't have my passport?

I was really annoyed as I missed the bus because it took so long to get through. I travel regularly to stockholm for work also and it's always the same story coming back in. I wouldn't mind but the non-eu citizens seem to get fast tracked through their own stalls!! Ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Why do borders have border controls? Because borders?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Hopefully it will keep out undesirables.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭VG31

You can show photo ID other than a passport when entering Ireland from the UK.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭Gerrup Outta Dat!

endacl wrote: »

There’s no requirement in the CTA for Irish and British citizens to carry passports. The UK segregate immigration to facilitate this arrangement but DUB doesn’t. I sailed through Leeds airport having only shown a license to Stobart Air (Aer Arann at the time).

ID requirements for the border and for the airline are two different things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭bill66

endacl wrote: »

The common travel area that exists between the UK and Ireland means that passports are not required to travel between the two countries. However some travel providers require a passport as ID to travel on their services.

There should be no passport check for someone travelling from Southampton to Dublin, just as there is no passport check on the train from Dublin to Belfast or anyone crossing the hundreds of roads and footpaths that lead to Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Yes experienced this when flying back from the uk last week, hadn't flown for awhile so wasn't expecting to have to queue to show a passport in Dublin, nothing up about not needing a passport when coming from the UK, we were segregated on the UK side and sailed right thorough, is this the Irish government sneakily repudiating the common travel area procedures in advance of brexit?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Mehapoy wrote: »
    is this the Irish government sneakily repudiating the common travel area procedures in advance of brexit?

No, it's always been the case.

bfa1509 wrote: »
    I flew to Southampton this week. I had absolutely no issue flying over, I didn't even need a passport, just some form of photo ID.

On the way back however it was a different story. I was hoping to get through Dublin airport quickly as I had to catch a bus. Of course, what am I greeted by at Dublin airport? A massive queue at passport control. Why is it that when travelling within the EU that I still have to prove who I am using a passport? What would happen if I didn't have my passport?

I was really annoyed as I missed the bus because it took so long to get through. I travel regularly to stockholm for work also and it's always the same story coming back in. I wouldn't mind but the non-eu citizens seem to get fast tracked through their own stalls!! Ridiculous!

In cases like this, explain the situation to a staff member and they can fast track you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭bill66

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Yes experienced this when flying back from the uk last week, hadn't flown for awhile so wasn't expecting to have to queue to show a passport in Dublin, nothing up about not needing a passport when coming from the UK, we were segregated on the UK side and sailed right thorough, is this the Irish government sneakily repudiating the common travel area procedures in advance of brexit?

I can't think of a single reason why the Irish government would want to end the CTA.

Advertisement