Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[Event] Challenge Galway 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

AKW wrote: »
    June is perfect! Can build it into a 24hr training session for the ITERA race in August :cool: #2birds1stone

Could be a nice incentive to get bike miles in for ITERA

I've only done 2 long distance tris and they were both Challenge events. Both excellent in terms of atmosphere and organisation.

Nice proposed bike route but I'd question road surface. Also there would likely be a tasty headwind down the WAW to Doolin. I like the idea of 4 laps in and out of Galway too, that could be a special run.

Old school, clip some bars onto my 8 year old bike to work scheme commuter roadie like my rookie triathlon :D

Jaysus I haven't done a tri since 2012 :eek:

#tempted

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

tunney wrote: »
    Ah to be honest. Three small kids, work being the way it is, not swam in a year, not ridden my bike much at all in years, very little running. I think I'll stick to my five year plan.

Sounds like he's getting his excuses for a sh*t race in already. ;)

(note to self: check social calendar for international travel in June 2016.....:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

September in the West of Ireland..they tried that already.
    IMO IM Galway would have been more succesful if run in the period from june15-Aug 15th

No - no matter what time of year you pick it will always be dodgy for the swim in Salthill. Even last weekends sprint tri - no way could you have swam on Saturday yet the Sunday was perfect conditions

AKW will know this better but from my odd sojourn golfing in Oranmore golf course the water can be dodgy there too - however they might be talking about over by where the sailing club go out - which is more sheltered.

Actually a nice area for the start if it is there, a nice park beside it with a view, a small track all along the swim area to provide a viewing platform, some decent space for racking the bikes and a nice little short 10% hill to get the heart rate up to speed.

Dory Dory wrote: »

(note to self: check social calendar for international travel in June 2016.....:D)

I can tell you already

October 2016: Kona
    June 2016: Oranmore

You can stay in AKW's shop

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Cmon hooch. You know you want to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Oryx wrote: »
    Cmon hooch. You know you want to

Oh, it is now properly on the radar. We'll see how a few things shake out. Plus, sounds like I've already got accommodation! Thanks, AKW!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

With CW around I don't need to do any PR stuff, he's at it for me!! Mentioned in every post so far :)

Swim as far as chat this morning goes, by the sailing club though I expect with Mr Phelan in charge in the GBGC that could be race HQ with transition in the carpark.

(In before BTH - No I have not read back or looked at the maps yet)

That is a class bike route, plenty of challenge and cracking scenery. Wet and wild on a bad day but a day like today there is no better place to be on earth.

Oh, it is now properly on the radar. We'll see how a few things shake out. Plus, sounds like I've already got accommodation! Thanks, AKW!!! :)

Don't worry there is an abandoned hotel in Oranmore I will be expanding the store into the entire ground floor :D

"Bed & Sneakers" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭topcat77

"exclusive price of just €355 for a limited time, on 21st June" On the challenge facebook

https://www.facebook.com/ChallengeIRLGalway?fref=nf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

topcat77 wrote: »
    "exclusive price of just €355 for a limited time, on 21st June" On the challenge facebook

https://www.facebook.com/ChallengeIRLGalway?fref=nf

How much was Dublin for half the distance and quarter the route appeal? Dublin were right to take the money before announcing the route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jnk883

Dublin was €250 plus 6% active fee and considering that was a half €355 (plus I'm guessing some fee) seems good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

good stuff.

looking at recent developments around the world ironman vs challenge the one thing that seems to be sure is that dublin will have a full Ironman distance next year too ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

peter kern wrote: »
    good stuff.

looking at recent developments around the world ironman vs challenge the one thing that seems to be sure is that dublin will have a full Ironman distance next year too ;-)

Pay €500 to cycle through west dublin v pay €500 to cycle through beautiful Austria...i know which id pick!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,359 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Pay €500 to cycle through west dublin v pay €500 to cycle through beautiful Austria...i know which id pick!!!
    Unfortunately it costs a lot more than €500 to cycle through beautiful Austria

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

peter kern wrote: »
    good stuff.

Peter - I've not given you the €50 yet for a reason.

When the event happens it happens. Until then.........

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Kyle47

ToTriOrNot wrote: »
    Suspected Plantar Fasciitis prevent me from doing it..no way I would be comfortable trying to up my mileage in such a short time...but hey, nothing it stopping the rest of the people. I'll stick to Sprint and Olympic once I am back running.

Try out a wrap called BFST Plantar wrap, it draws blood to the fascia (without aggressive stretching) to speed up healing. I use it now to prevent injuries from returning.

Liam Heavin is the RD

http://beyondgoinglong.co.uk/?p=5891

Forgive my ignorance, who is he, what's he done before??

Triathlone / Shadowman

Bike course https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?usp=sharing&mid=zn2SskViY_E4.k46HZkSAR4BY

Expect km 170 to be like a carnival with loads of bunting :D

BTH wrote: »
    Liam Heavin is the RD

http://beyondgoinglong.co.uk/?p=5891

Forgive my ignorance, who is he, what's he done before??

No he is the ceo of challenge Ireland. Race director is someone else.

• Advertisement

Kyle47 wrote: »
    Try out a wrap called BFST Plantar wrap, it draws blood to the fascia (without aggressive stretching) to speed up healing. I use it now to prevent injuries from returning.

Would you like some snake oil with that?

AKW wrote: »
    Bike course https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?usp=sharing&mid=zn2SskViY_E4.k46HZkSAR4BY

Expect km 170 to be like a carnival with loads of bunting :D

Black and yellow bunting???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

tunney wrote: »
    No he is the ceo of challenge Ireland. Race director is someone else.

That article says he is both??

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Duck8

Can anyone tell me if ironman 140.6 will happen for sure next year

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Duck8 wrote: »

Basically, no

Duck8 wrote: »

Who knows. However it was a sweet move for Challenge to be up and running with course details and a nice 355 entry point sweetener long before Ironman Dublin has got going. I have to assume they will do the maths on this and perhaps decide to stick with 70.3 for the time being and see how challenge get on. There's surely not enough room to have two long distance races in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Duck8

Thanks. I'm trying to plan one for next year and I don't want to sign up to one if Dublin comes along. Dublin would be much easier on travel for the family

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭griffin100

catweazle wrote: »
    Who knows. However it was a sweet move for Challenge to be up and running with course details and a nice 355 entry point sweetener long before Ironman Dublin has got going. I have to assume they will do the maths on this and perhaps decide to stick with 70.3 for the time being and see how challenge get on. There's surely not enough room to have two long distance races in Ireland.

There are already IM distance races in ireland, just not with the razzmatazz of IM or Challenge branding. If it wasn't for Hardman Challenge Ireland wouldn't have had to settle for Galway over Kerry ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

griffin100 wrote: »
    There are already IM distance races in ireland, just not with the razzmatazz of IM or Challenge branding. If it wasn't for Hardman Challenge Ireland wouldn't have had to settle for Galway over Kerry ;)

Hardman route would probably make a pretty sweet big race actually.

• Advertisement

EC1000 wrote: »
    That article says he is both??

Tony Daley of Predator and Conor Kelly of Trizone also part of the team.

Advertisement