Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to do uni if you've ADHD?!!

• 20-08-2010 10:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Hi, I've been offered a place at UCC as a mature student and have accepted it. But my doctor has told me I "may" suffer from ADHD - news to me, I always just thought I just didn't "get it" or whatever.....been to 3rd level a few times previously but it never worked out. Think I eneded up getting "lost" somewhere along the way each time. Easily confused, difficult to study and concentrate, hard to understand what it was I was suposed to understand etc, when I try to focus on one thing my mind has another 100 things going through it and so on and so on. But I'm not thick at the same time, lol. My doc has said I can get a diagnosis for ADHD, if that indeed is what I have, by seeing a psychologist or whatever through the university medical servic once uni begins. That's all well and good but how the hell are you supposed to "operate" at uni if you have ADHD? What happens?

As it is I already suffer from depression and am on long term disability allowance for that. Now to be told I may have ADHD too makes me wonder if this time at uni will be just like all the other times......is it even worth it, am I kidding myself thinking I'll be able to do it. It's hard enough for a mature student in general returning to uni but with ADHD, is it just too much? I also will have to travel 100km round trip each day by public transport to get to and from uni (looked at my timetable and that means I'll be getting up at 5.30am some mornings) Having a bit of an overload here me thinks! Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭captainstacy

Sounds like you might be trying to talk yourself out of going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 swish10

Sounds like you might be trying to talk yourself out of going.

I'm not trying to be defeatist, I'm just trying to look at it realistically.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

You'll be grand. Stop moaning; get a scrip for Ritalin, Strattera or similar from your GP/Shrink and you'll be right up with the rest of'em.

deandean wrote: »
    You'll be grand. Stop moaning; get a scrip for Ritalin, Strattera or similar from your GP/Shrink and you'll be right up with the rest of'em.

Don't be an eejit :D Popping pills ain't the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

I have it. I just muddle through. Nobody else knows I have it, they just think I'm easily distracted. I'm not on Ritalin, I just try to concentrate as best as I can and accept that study isn't going to happen on some days. I wouldn't go trying to use it as an excuse. If you see a doctor or psychologist at the uni, they may offer you resources, advice or medication. And it's quite possible you don't even have it. I can only speak for myself, but my long term goals and objectives are clear to me and I've never had a problem finishing courses or having the motivation in the long term. It's more a day to day lack of concentration, zoning out in lectures etc. And posting on Boards when my thesis is due in a week. More long term problems suggest a lack of motivation, interest or ability for the course to me, I'd say the depression is a more likely culprit than ADHD but then I'm not an expert.

• Advertisement

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    I have it. I just muddle through. Nobody else knows I have it, they just think I'm easily distracted. I'm not on Ritalin, I just try to concentrate as best as I can and accept that study isn't going to happen on some days. I wouldn't go trying to use it as an excuse. If you see a doctor or psychologist at the uni, they may offer you resources, advice or medication. And it's quite possible you don't even have it. I can only speak for myself, but my long term goals and objectives are clear to me and I've never had a problem finishing courses or having the motivation in the long term. It's more a day to day lack of concentration, zoning out in lectures etc. And posting on Boards when my thesis is due in a week. More long term problems suggest a lack of motivation, interest or ability for the course to me, I'd say the depression is a more likely culprit than ADHD but then I'm not an expert.

Glad to hear you're able to do your course :) Wish I had had the same success but then maybe I don't even have ADHD - it could simply be that I'm not focused enough. Not everyone who isn't focused etc has ADHD of course, lol. The depression could be a factor but then it doesn't seem to bother me that much but then maybe it does and I'm not objective enough to be able to see it, oh well. I did phone up the disability unit (funny thing is I don't view myself as having a disability) at the uni and they said folks with ADHD can be given longer to sit exams etc, might help. Told me to pop into them so will prob do that. Guess I'll need to get an actual diagnosis to see what's what.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

swish10 wrote: »
    I did phone up the disability unit (funny thing is I don't view myself as having a disability) at the uni and they said folks with ADHD can be given longer to sit exams etc, might help. Told me to pop into them so will prob do that. Guess I'll need to get an actual diagnosis to see what's what.

Go in and speak to them and see what support you can get.

There is plenty of support for students in most colleges. You just need to seek them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

One thing that might help is to record your lectures. Little dictaphone or something. That way if you zone out / can't concentrate in there, you haven't missed it because you can go back and listen whenever you feel you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭December

Just to echo what Larianne said - definitly go in and have a chat with them.

I've just finished a two day workshop with the UCC for mature students and the impression I got from it, is the staff and volunteers are there to help and support you (and they dont judge), plus they are all really nice and approachable! However they can't really help unless they know about it. So go have a quick chat with them and I'm pretty sure that they'll be able to help you out no problem.

And please don't be worried or get bogged down with the stigma that comes with the word disability (imo probably should be changed to Accessibility student support or something along those lines), but there are a lot of students that avail of the support from the disability centre. Like for example some people might have a bit of anxiety when in big crowds, and so are given the option to sit their exams in a classroom with only a few people.

So don't worry, and don't let it put you off going. Plus to repeat what they said to us in the workshop - you haven't just been let in the "back door" as it were; you've worked and EARNED a place at Uni - wether it be via your MSAP score, interviews and personal statement! :)

(FYI 3500-ish mature students applied... only about 400 got places - so you have obviously demonstrated that you deserved a place) :D

Oooh and also there are always workshops and small courses to help with studies - like essay writing and time managment.

Also (sorry for the long post) if you didn't want to sign up with the DSS (or aswell as) then there are still other support organisations for UCC students that you could utilise - like http://www.ucc.ie/en/pass/ and http://lifematters.ucc.ie/

Anyhoo I hope that helps a little, and fingers crossed we'll see you in September! :D

December wrote: »

I've just finished a two day workshop with the UCC for mature students and the impression I got from it, is the staff and volunteers are there to help and support you (and they dont judge), plus they are all really nice and approachable! However they can't really help unless they know about it. So go have a quick chat with them and I'm pretty sure that they'll be able to help you out no problem.

And please don't be worried or get bogged down with the stigma that comes with the word disability (imo probably should be changed to Accessibility student support or something along those lines), but there are a lot of students that avail of the support from the disability centre. Like for example some people might have a bit of anxiety when in big crowds, and so are given the option to sit their exams in a classroom with only a few people.

So don't worry, and don't let it put you off going. Plus to repeat what they said to us in the workshop - you haven't just been let in the "back door" as it were; you've worked and EARNED a place at Uni - wether it be via your MSAP score, interviews and personal statement! :)

(FYI 3500-ish mature students applied... only about 400 got places - so you have obviously demonstrated that you deserved a place) :D

Oooh and also there are always workshops and small courses to help with studies - like essay writing and time managment.

Also (sorry for the long post) if you didn't want to sign up with the DSS (or aswell as) then there are still other support organisations for UCC students that you could utilise - like http://www.ucc.ie/en/pass/ and http://lifematters.ucc.ie/

Anyhoo I hope that helps a little, and fingers crossed we'll see you in September! :D

Sorry I didn't see your post earlier. Lol, I was at that workshop too, we were probably in the same class. I only went the first day - convinced myself I had contracted swine flu or H1N1 the morning of the second day :eek: and went back to sleep, lol. Great start eh!....lol

Yeah, I might register with the Disability Support folks but will see - don't really like the idea of being labelled and boxed but I guess if there are issues they need to be addressed in the most practical way possible.

I might check out any short time management course that pop up - if time permits, I'll be like Cinderella rushing out of lectures for the bus home, lol. And yep, I'll be there when term starts :) Just realised that for all I know we may have been chatting to each other on the library tour or at breaks during that induction day, lol. The aul interweb has made the world a small place, how did we ever live without it, eh?!!!! :pac:

• Advertisement

mickstupp wrote: »
    One thing that might help is to record your lectures. Little dictaphone or something. That way if you zone out / can't concentrate in there, you haven't missed it because you can go back and listen whenever you feel you can.

Jeeses, yeah! And I could get the missus to type it all up for me, when she's finished with the cooking and cleaning of course! :rolleyes: Lol, only kidding, But seriously, yeah, it certainly is an idea - wonder though whether they'd agree to that, maybe they wouldn't mind I guess. Thanks for the idea.

Larianne wrote: »
    Go in and speak to them and see what support you can get.

There is plenty of support for students in most colleges. You just need to seek them out.

Yeah, there are supports in place it seems, guess I might be slightly embarrased about accessing them though but if it boils down to a choice between getting some supports or flunking then I'd go and look for whatever support I needed, red faced or not :o Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

swish10 wrote: »
    Yeah, there are supports in place it seems, guess I might be slightly embarrased about accessing them though but if it boils down to a choice between getting some supports or flunking then I'd go and look for whatever support I needed, red faced or not :o Thanks.

That's what they are there for and they will be totally understanding. There's no shame in asking for help.

Not the exact same situation, but I'm not the best at Maths so I went to the uni's Maths Support Centre. I put it off for ages because I felt like you do, embarrassed. But I was put at ease and I went back twice more and wondered why I made a big deal out of it.

Larianne wrote: »
    That's what they are there for and they will be totally understanding. There's no shame in asking for help.

Not the exact same situation, but I'm not the best at Maths so I went to the uni's Maths Support Centre. I put it off for ages because I felt like you do, embarrassed. But I was put at ease and I went back twice more and wondered why I made a big deal out of it.

Yeah, I'll certainly look them up if I need to. Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bob.k

December wrote: »

3,500 mature students applied to UCC alone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,206 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

bob.k wrote: »
    3,500 mature students applied to UCC alone?
    Reply 9 years later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Answer? You take your diagnosis from a Registered/Chartered Psychologist, you see your disability officer and start from there. Make sure you get your entitlements made clear to you in Black and White.

Advertisement