Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death of ivan cooper

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

However I do agree that H & H certainly would be better off without this stuff.

Nothing quite like censorship tbf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

volchitsa wrote: »
    Yes.

The Ballymurphy killings by the same regiment six ....

There were numerous bullet hole marks and evidence of scorch marks (petrol bombs) on the security force base after the battles in Ballymurphy, I suppose you will say the security forces done that themselves too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,788 ✭✭✭volchitsa

janfebmar wrote: »
    There were numerous bullet hole marks and evidence of scorch marks (petrol bombs) on the security force base after the battles in Ballymurphy, I suppose you will say the security forces done that themselves too.

"Alternative facts", eh?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballymurphy_massacre

And FYI, the priest that another poster mentioned who was killed in Ballymurphy was not Fr Edward Daly, that was the priest who was fired at but not hit in Derry.
    It was Fr Hugh Mullan who was murdered by the Parachute Regiment in Ballymurphy.

Where is the base in ballymurphy?

And FYI, the priest that another poster mentioned who was killed in Ballymurphy was not Fr Edward Daly, that was the priest who was fired at but n....

Fr Edward Daly ( who later became Bishop Daly ) was not hit or injured in Derry, but he was there and later testified he saw a Republcan gunman (unseen to the British soldiers) fire shots at the soldiers. That " did not make him the most popular man in Derry" he later said.

• Advertisement

Fr Edward Daly ( who later became Bishop Daly ) was not hit or injured in Derry, but he was there and later testified he saw a Republcan gunman (unseen to the British soldiers) fire shots at the soldiers. That " did not make him the most popular man in Derry" he later said.

I know very well who Fr Daly was, and he was not in Ballymurphy. You misunderstood (possibly deliberately?) which priest the other poster was referring to when he mentioned a priest who was killed by the Parachute regiment in Ballymurphy. That was Fr Hugh Mullan. He and the others they killed were by no means all killed during a "battle" at the army base. That would have been some famous battle as it would have had to last at least 36 hours.

But the Parachutists were the same regiment who went on to kill more civilians in Bloody Sunday, which is why it's very likely that Bloody Sunday would have happened regardless of any alleged attacks on the army on that day.

BTW, here is his account of the killings. It's a little long and I haven't read it for some years, so perhaps you'll be kind enough to point out where he makes that claim, as I can't find it.

I know very well who Fr Daly was, and he was not in Ballymurphy.

You thought I did not know who Fr Daly was and you tried to tell me (post no. 34), so it was you who misunderstood. We all know he was not in Ballymurphy. No need therefore to read the rest of your post.

You thought I did not know who Fr Daly was and you tried to tell me (post no. 34), so it was you who misunderstood. We all know he was not in Ballymurphy. No need therefore to read the rest of your post.

Not what happened at all - another poster pointed out that the same regiment had previously killed a priest in Ballymurphy (which is true) and you made an eejit of yourself trying to be sarcastic about what you wrongly thought was his mistake.
    Nope. Perhaps Creative Writing, because Balcombe is dreaming again when you read this nonsense :-
    Well they took a priest waving a white flag at them in Ballymurphy as provocation and shot him dead, so they didn't need much petrol for the fire,
    Fr. Daly went on to be a bishop and died just a few years ago. Maybe thread should be moved to Paranormal?
    I saw that what you clearly didn't know was who Fr Hugh Mullan was, rather than Eddie Daly. And possibly you also didn't know that the same regiment was involved in both massacres.

So now we've established that the mistake was yours, you can safely read the rest of my post. :)

I saw that what you clearly didn't know was who Fr Hugh Mullan was, rather than Eddie Daly. And possibly you also didn't know that the same regiment was involved

Of course I knew the history of Fr Mullan and the B. Army, people like you never stop going on about it.
    What about the priest suspected of the Claudy bombing , if you want to pick out specific priests?

Of course I knew the history of Fr Mullan and the B. Army, people like you never stop going on about it.
    What about the priest suspected of the Claudy bombing , if you want to pick out specific priests?

So why did you think the poster was talking about Fr Daly when he was talking about Fr Mullan? We can all read, you know. :)

• Advertisement

So why did you think the poster was talking about Fr Daly when he was talking about Fr Mullan? We can all read, you know. :)

How else was he/she going to try blame ivan cooper for the claudy bombing then?

_blaaz wrote: »
    How else was he/she going to try blame ivan cooper for the claudy bombing then?

Ivan Cooper had nothing to do with the Claudy bombing. The main suspect in the sectarian Claudy bombings was a Catholic priest, Fr. Chesney. He got away with it because of a secret agreement between the Catholic Cardinal William Conway and the then Northern Ireland Secretary Willie Whitelaw.

They felt that protecting the priest was the lesser of two evils.

As someone else said "During that turbulent period in 1972, many believed that Northern Ireland was on the brink of a sectarian civil war. Almost 500 people were killed that year.

If a priest had been arrested in connection with the Claudy bomb, it could have pushed community relations over the edge.

Loyalist paramilitaries may have used it as an excuse for more attacks on Catholics. The IRA would have retaliated and turmoil would have ensued."

Quote: "Extracts from the state documents in the report by the NI Police Ombudsman confirm that even traces of explosives found in his car were not enough to get him arrested.

Intelligence information not only linked him to the Claudy bombing in which nine people died, it also indicated that he was the "quarter master and director of operations of the south Derry Provisional IRA".

Nothing to do with Ivan Cooper.

Ivan Cooper had nothing to do with the Claudy bombing

We all know that...but your the only one brought it up in a thread about him....now backtravking heavily copying and pasting more rubbish about an unrelated person to the thread when called out on it

Kinda like how you also like to blame civil rights protesters for getting emselves short....ive little patience to play your bigoted games tbh mate

We all know that...but your the only one brought it up in a thread about him...

It was you who mentioned Coalisland and Ballymurphy : I did not bring up those places, but when they were brought up, I asked "What about the priest suspected of the Claudy bombing , if you want to pick out specific priests?"
    Kinda like how you also like to blame civil rights protesters for getting emselves short...

I never blamed "civil rights protesters for getting emselves short"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Thread has gone irrecoverabley off-topic

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement