Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are farmers ever happy?

• 14-07-2020 8:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

For as long as I can remember, news stories of angry and discontented farmers have kept popping up in the newspapers as well as on television.

Whether it be from complaining about subsidies, to complaing about hedgerows, to complaining about pylons, to complaining about wind turbines, to complaining about foxes and badgers, to complaining about hikers and strollers, to complaining about environmental impositions, to complaining about drones, to complaining about just about everything, they never seem to be happy with their lot in life. Despite being subsided by urban workers, they will nonetheless complain about townies along with tales of this and that being Dublin-centric.

They will complain that their boreen doesn't have the same standards of infrastructure, waste disposal services, public transport or access to other such key services as the evil Dublin-centric Dublin area full of Dubliners, forgetting of course that these urban areas are densely populated ones which also happen to pay more than their fair share of taxes in order to cover and justify such services. They act like they are self-sufficient guardians of the land and have an almost messiah complex that they're keeping the rest of us alive with their hard work and toil. When in reality, they are heavily subsided by government taxes, paid of course in large part by the urban workforce.

They consistently flout environmental laws almost to the point of criminal negligence. Miles upon miles of rivers and groundwater sources throughout the land are heavily polluted thanks to corrupt and incompetent farmers allowing run off from farms to continue with often disastrous results for everything from fresh water fish populations to the sources of drinking water for others.

Greedy farmers often with land on flood plains have for decades strong armed their local gombeen TD's and councillors into getting their parcel of land rezoned and cashing in big time in the thereafter. During periods of heavy rainfall, whole housing estates built within unsuitable river valley areas have been flooded resulting in millions of euros worth of damage. As per usual, if a local authority refuses to grant farmers planning permission to rezone their land to residential - they will kick up a fuss and complain

Whenever they feel the slightest grievance, whether real or imagined - they will decend upon Dublin en masse in their tractors intent on causing traffic chaos throughout the city until they've felt they've gotten their point across and gotten what they wanted in the first place. If that doesn't work, they will bring their tractors down again and thus - complain, again.

In short, it seems like farmers are never happy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,789 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I know a few of them and they're always happy.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭screamer

Jees did you have your weetabix this morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

screamer wrote: »
    Jees did you have your weetabix this morning?

Maybe an infected spinal column on a bap.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

They have big sheds and nobody is allowed in

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

If I had a brush that size, I could paint my house in a couple of minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,719 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Did a farmer shıt in your garden OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Did a farmer shıt in your garden OP?

That's what happened to his weetabix!

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

DS86DS wrote: »
    For as long as I can remember, news stories of angry and discontented farmers have kept popping up in the newspapers as well as on television.

Whether it be from complaining about subsidies, to complaing about hedgerows, to complaining about pylons, to complaining about wind turbines, to complaining about foxes and badgers, to complaining about hikers and strollers, to complaining about environmental impositions, to complaining about drones, to complaining about just about everything, they never seem to be happy with their lot in life. Despite being subsided by urban workers, they will nonetheless complain about townies along with tales of this and that being Dublin-centric.

They will complain that their boreen doesn't have the same standards of infrastructure, waste disposal services, public transport or access to other such key services as the evil Dublin-centric Dublin area full of Dubliners, forgetting of course that these urban areas are densely populated ones which also happen to pay more than their fair share of taxes in order to cover and justify such services. They act like they are self-sufficient guardians of the land and have an almost messiah complex that they're keeping the rest of us alive with their hard work and toil. When in reality, they are heavily subsided by government taxes, paid of course in large part by the urban workforce.

They consistently flout environmental laws almost to the point of criminal negligence. Miles upon miles of rivers and groundwater sources throughout the land are heavily polluted thanks to corrupt and incompetent farmers allowing run off from farms to continue with often disastrous results for everything from fresh water fish populations to the sources of drinking water for others.

Greedy farmers often with land on flood plains have for decades strong armed their local gombeen TD's and councillors into getting their parcel of land rezoned and cashing in big time in the thereafter. During periods of heavy rainfall, whole housing estates built within unsuitable river valley areas have been flooded resulting in millions of euros worth of damage. As per usual, if a local authority refuses to grant farmers planning permission to rezone their land to residential - they will kick up a fuss and complain

Whenever they feel the slightest grievance, whether real or imagined - they will decend upon Dublin en masse in their tractors intent on causing traffic chaos throughout the city until they've felt they've gotten their point across and gotten what they wanted in the first place. If that doesn't work, they will bring their tractors down again and thus - complain, again.

Would you be happy if you had 150 acres, a herd of milk cows, 1000s from E.U. without getting out of bed and all you get from your government is " a raw deal"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

But sure there's no money in farming!

........but a load of grants!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

Their grievances are genuine.

Unlike overpaid, underworked leeches who call themselves teachers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Edgware wrote: »
    Would you be happy if you had 150 acres, a herd of milk cows, 1000s from E.U. without getting out of bed and all you get from your government is " a raw deal"?
    Would you be happy paying €30 for a chicken or €20 for a litre of milk?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭ratracer

I like the way this is going........let’s not forget taxi drivers, publicans....

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭SlowMotion321

ratracer wrote: »
    I like the way this is going........let’s not forget taxi drivers, publicans....

Don't forget EVERYONE in Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

hawkwing wrote: »
    Would you be happy paying €30 for a chicken or €20 for a litre of milk?

Or maybe a universal imcome of 10k a year plus food vouchers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

Off to Venezuela you go.

You do realise UBI will drive inflation causing prices to go up, thus defeating the purpose of UBI?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

And the chickens are saying, why am I so massive?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Off to Venezuela you go.

You do realise UBI will drive inflation causing prices to go up, thus defeating the purpose of UBI?

Correct. Merely shifts the demand curve upwards. No point in that.

Many of our left-leaning pals don't like talking about curves/equilibrium stuff though. They prefer to talk about free everything for everybody forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

It's a labour of love, because no one could be in it for the money. Most farms around the country are lucky to break even if not have a small bit of profit.

Funny how you think city workers subsidise farmers in the country - there could be no people living in the cities if farmers were not able to produce such a substantial, reliable yield. Its the government that very minimally subsidises farming. Imagine the early covid panic buying X 10 if food chains actually broke down and people were starving because the only plant they own is an aloe vera.

Either subsidise farming to an extent or let food prices dramatically increase nationwide and face protests for increase in the minimum wage, like what happened in France with the yellow vest riots

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

What do we need farmers for anyway? I get every thing I need from the supermarket! ;)

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 33,573 ✭✭✭✭listermint

topper75 wrote: »

Many of our left-leaning pals don't like talking about curves/equilibrium stuff though. They prefer to talk about free everything for everybody forever.

woo woo fight to the death, last man standing.

libertarianism yehaaaaw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,319 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Sounds like someone failed their leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Farmers are personally happy and professionally unhappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

topper75 wrote: »

Tig98s post is the reality that most whingers obviously don't get.

My suggestion was an attempt to allude to this reality by placing a farcical alternative for the consumer. It must have been a little abstract in its reference to the current agricultural commidity/food price subsidy system that is the status quo, which is disastrous for farmers and the environment.
    Probably went over some people's heads, but that bar may be low given how far to the right they're leaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭joeguevara

A person who isn't happy about farmers not being happy. Oh the irony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

DS86DS wrote: »

Sounds like someone is jealous of farmers :-)

Terrible thing jealousy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Teachers! I knew it was them! Even when it was the farmers I knew it was them!

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭SlowMotion321

I was a teacher for a number of years thanks for the sh1tload of money you gave me, ah ha hahahahahahaha......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

listermint wrote: »
    woo woo fight to the death, last man standing.

libertarianism yehaaaaw

Ah - it's more I'm willing to produce lettuce if I can get €1 a head for them and somebody else is willing to spend €1 for a head of lettuce = the lettuce is sold.

No deal at 80c a head or €1.20, but no death ever. I think you might have lost the run of yourself there a tad.

Give everybody magic money and you have more people with more money looking to buy that same lettuce. The price comes under pressure and rises.
    You are at square minus 1 (less competitive economy). Das Kapital doesn't seem to cover any of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,055 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Edgware wrote: »

If it was that good everyone would be at it

Advertisement