Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So what size is your wrist?

Options
  • 27-06-2020 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭

The average male has a 7.25" wrist. Always thought mine were small, but I needed extra links in most of my recent watches. Just measured and I am at least 7.5" measured fairly tightly. What are you? Choose the one that is closed to your size.

What size is your wrist? 29 votes

<6.5"
    0%
    7.0"
    27%
    Darwinquattro777td2008wayne0308LunohitemfrankVowel MovementOmegaGene 8 votes
    7.5"
    44%
    LorddrakuldavidMr MagnoliaThirdfoxNIMANCharlie 22blindsiderredleadscwazrhoxocubeIrishPlayerCyclingtouristWorking class heroes 13 votes
    >8.0"
    27%
    unkelmicks_addressbanie01dakarblue5000brimalOldBeanCalamariFritti 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

>8.0"
    7.5 and quite surprised at that. Reason being that I really dislike bigger watches on me and I always thought I must have a small wrist. I couldn't wear anything over 40mm and even 40 would be pushing it to my limit. I have a small number of watches and none of them are bigger than 39mm.
    Currently have a Seiko 5 for sale which is the biggest watch I own.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

6.5 here. Means I can get away with wearing vintage far more easily. :) The vintage straps I've found down the years certainly seems to show we're getting bigger as on "standard" length vintage straps from say the 30's, 40's and 50's I've usually got a couple of strap holes left over, whereas on modern standard straps I'd be on the last one or would either have to try and source a small or punch an extra hole. Though how a particular watch wears is often more about design than size in bare numbers.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭dakar

>8.0"
    7.5 and quite surprised at that. Reason being that I really dislike bigger watches on me and I always thought I must have a small wrist.

7.5 as well, and also always thought I had a smallish wrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,467 ✭✭✭✭banie01

>8.0"
    Just over 7.2" for me, usually 2 links off a new bracelet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

7.5"
    I think lug-to-lug is more important than case diameter. As to wrist I'm pretty average. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

>8.0"
    Funnily enough I never thought I had wide wrists, but 7.5" too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭scwazrh

7.5"
    OldBean wrote: »
    Funnily enough I never thought I had wide wrists, but 7.5" too.

Just under 7” for me , I’ve been dieting for the last year and recently had to resize the bracelets of all my watches as my wrists were near 8” .

I also now have to buy more watches as most of my collection is over 44mm as watches in the 39-42 mm range used to be too small on me.
    Let’s see if my wife believes that excuse .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

7.0"
    I've mentioned my small wrists a few time on here and after seeing what's been posted so far I would be very surprised if I don't have the smallest wrists in here.

6 inches around the wrist knuckle and an 8th of an inch thinner just up from the knuckle. Wrists of a child lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

>8.0"
    scwazrh wrote: »
    Just under 7” for me , I’ve been dieting for the last year and recently had to resize the bracelets of all my watches as my wrists were near 8” .

Fair play!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭micks_address

>8.0"
    Somewhere between 7.25 and 7.5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Don't really wear watches too often..

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

>8.0"
    How's the Mercedes, big man? :)

unkel wrote: »
    How's the Mercedes, big man? :)

Running like a Rolex, using it a lot recently while the jeep is getting the turbo and dpf done and loving it.

Got it all spray sealed underneath a few months ago and a few other small jobs done to it.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

>8.0"
    Nice work. I couldn't help buying another W201 just after I sold my first one to you. Had it for over a year and the new owner also drove it back to Kerry about a month or so ago :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

7.5"
    Don't really wear watches too often..

You could wear one with a diver's extension on it :pac:

tudor-pelagos-rubber-strap_360_0cdd635700f0d095f42874324a269b67.jpg

The third piece straps onto the normal straps for additional length and is meant to go over thick wetsuits (or perhaps extra chunky wrists) :D

Cheers for that Thirdfox never saw one of those before and enjoyed the laugh.

I have a couple of watches that fit, one is a cheap smart/fitness watch from Amazon that fitted me straight out of the box and I have a Gucci for the odd night out that I got a watchmaker to put a new strap on.

I prefer a traditional looking thin minimalist watch myself but to be honest between the kind of manual work I do and my hobbies of fishing and hunting if I spent big money on a watch it would be a waste as it would hardly ever be worn in case it was damaged.

I'll treat myself to one when the first child gets married or the first grandchild is born or if I ever officially retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

7.5"
    Actually being serious now - if you are okay with wearing bracelets then it is very easy to size up a bracelet - just keep on adding links (that you can purchase separately). They don't have to be super expensive either - if you go the Chinese watch route you could ever get 2 minimalist watches on bracelet, scavenge the extra links from one watch for the other one and if the first one gets damaged by rough use you'd have a second spare head to fit onto the other bracelet :D

https://www.seagullwatchstore.com/Classic-Rodina-Automatic-Wrist-Bauhaus-Watch-p/r005-arabic-white-dial.htm - or get this, give the strap away and get an aftermarket bracelet sized for your wrists - at $99 for the watch it's not breaking the bank :) - and the first review states the strap is "extra long" - might not even need a bracelet ;)

edit: and arguably because of fishing/hunting a wristwatch might be even more important - since you don't want to fumble around to check your mobile for the time... it's why soldiers went from trench pocket watches to "effeminate" wrist watches during the course of WW1 (Wibbs can confirm or correct that :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Not sure of my wrist size but had to use the longer of the 2 straps Barton send you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,467 ✭✭✭✭banie01

>8.0"
    OmegaGene wrote: »
    I’ve gone from just under 8” to <6 1/4 now in the last year thanks to taking up a new lifestyle and taking up training, pain in the hoop taking links out of everything

That's some improvement!
    Well done, it's not easy to make a change that can lead to that kind of difference.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    I’ve gone from just under 8” to <6 1/4 now in the last year thanks to taking up a new lifestyle and taking up training, pain in the hoop taking links out of everything

To lose over 20% off the width of your wrist in 12 months must equate to a massive reduction in other measurements. Fair play to you.

What kind of training did you take up if you don't mind me asking, I'm guessing it would be more aerobic than resistance training?

• Advertisement
Advertisement