Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Conti's GP 5's mixed reviews ?

• 27-06-2020 7:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭

I'm going to change the tyres on my 2020 giant advanced 2.

I was going for conti's GP 5000's but have heard from owners that they are prone to failure. Owners have seen slash marks in the side walls etc. so they don't appear to be as durable as stated. Yet they are expensive. Has anyone here any experience of them please ?

Here is what I'm looking for:
    I want tube clinchers. I don't want nor like tubeless. Don't know if I want to go 28's, 30s 32's. I need comfort most important, durability is a huge factor too and speed would be nice.

Besides conti's gp 5000's, are there any other tyres that are good or even better please ? Must be tubed.

What size would be best for me ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I got a set of 28s recently. No issues so far

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

godtabh wrote: »
    I got a set of 28s recently. No issues so far

Ok thanks. What bike do you have ? I'll think I'll go 30s at least as my bike is more endurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Gp 5000s are race tyres so would be more prone to punctures if you not riding on good surfaces. Michelin pro 4 endurance or conti 4 seasons or pirelli p zero 4s are the best winter tyres or if you like fast tyres with puncture protection.
    If you change your mind and want to run tubeless the pirelli centurato velo tlr as really good puncture resistant and not awful rolling resistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

byrnem31 wrote: »
    Ok thanks. What bike do you have ? I'll think I'll go 30s at least as my bike is more endurance.

I’ve just gotten a set of 25’s for my bike and 32’s for a mate.

Only been out on two spins so can’t speak much for durability, one dry and one wet spin.

I had a set of GP4000ii before this, and grip seems about the same. They maybe have a little bit more grip but it’s more likely the new tire feeling more than anything.

They certainly feel like they roll a little faster too.

I feel like they are just better than the 4000, but it being more of a evolution than a revolution!

My mate is coming from 35c cross tires so he’s flying on them, no complaints from him and he says they’re comfy.

FWIW, we both got them from Mantel who have them half

https://www.mantel.com/ie/continental-grand-prix-5000-tyre?autocomplete=1

I don’t think there’s another tire that strikes as good a balance of everything, maybe the Vittoria Corsa 2.0 but they’re more expensive and heavier but with lower rolling resistance, or something like the GP 4 Seasons would be a bit tougher but slower.

Deano12345 wrote: »
    I’ve just gotten a set of 25’s for my bike and 32’s for a mate.

Only been out on two spins so can’t speak much for durability, one dry and one wet spin.

I had a set of GP4000ii before this, and grip seems about the same. They maybe have a little bit more grip but it’s more likely the new tire feeling more than anything.

They certainly feel like they roll a little faster too.

I feel like they are just better than the 4000, but it being more of a evolution than a revolution!

My mate is coming from 35c cross tires so he’s flying on them, no complaints from him and he says they’re comfy.

FWIW, we both got them from Mantel who have them half

https://www.mantel.com/ie/continental-grand-prix-5000-tyre?autocomplete=1

I don’t think there’s another tire that strikes as good a balance of everything, maybe the Vittoria Corsa 2.0 but they’re more expensive and heavier but with lower rolling resistance, or something like the GP 4 Seasons would be a bit tougher but slower.

I ordered a set of conti gp 5000's just there. It will take a week to arrive at which point the giant is due its 8 week free service so I'll get penny farthing to bang them on. I'd say they won't charge me for fitting after buying the bike there so it's a win win.

It's like everything I suppose. You only hear what goes wrong with something and never how good a product is.

I'll update this thread after a few weeks of use to give an opinion on what they are like and possibly begin a 20 pager debate on the pros and cons of both tube and tubeless.

Thanks for advice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The minimum I expect from any tyre is revolution

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I ordered a set of conti gp 5000's just there. It will take a week to arrive at which point the giant is due its 8 week free service so I'll get penny farthing to bang them on. I'd say they won't charge me for fitting after buying the bike there so it's a win win.

It's like everything I suppose. You only hear what goes wrong with something and never how good a product is.

I'll update this thread after a few weeks of use to give an opinion on what they are like and possibly begin a 20 pager debate on the pros and cons of both tube and tubeless.

Thanks for advice.

Also, you should change them yourself. Do it at home in prep for doing it on the Sally gap

I’ve done about 800k on 28mm 5000s and had no issues other than a pinch flat, caused by hitting a badly protruding inspection cover at about 35kph on the N11.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

Thanks for advice.
    I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect a bike shop to change tyres for free, that you bought elsewhere. But that’s just an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

TGD wrote: »
    I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect a bike shop to change tyres for free, that you bought elsewhere. But that’s just an opinion.

I'd agree with this. Spending your money online and then bringing the product to your LBS and expecting it fitted for free is a bit much. Also, it's not a great way to build a loyal relationship with the shop. As above, just my opinion.

I bought a pair of GP5000 23s a while back and I fitted them a couple of weeks ago. 500km on them so far and no issues. I'm really happy with them. They certainly roll better than the Michelin Power Competition 25s that they replaced (and I've no complaints with the Michelins either).

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    The minimum I expect from any tyre is revolution

Ba-dum-tish :pac: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Do not think you should ask the shop to fit the tyres you bought on line they may remember the next time you need them also anybody who takes up road cycling must learn how to change the tubes or tyres its a basic task you have to learn .

TGD wrote: »

I'm buying the tyres off the shop also. They have them ordered for me. Plus in just over one year, I bought a brand new trek ds 2, two top of the range kids bikes, and a giant defy advanced 2 2020 worth €2250 7 weeks ago. Plus another €500 odd on other bicycle related products, including shoes, servicing my other bikes, tyres for my other bikes etc. I'm a good customer.

If they charge me a standard rate of fitting though I won't mind. I was being optimistic.

Thanks for advice.

What size did you go for in the end?

When it comes to the reliability and hearing the good and the bad, I think another point is that the 4000 was around so long there was such a huge amount of people using them and data that the good and bad points were plain to see.

Just if you do end up re-fitting them yourself down the line for any reason, I found both the 25's and 32's really tight to get on so might be worth packing some tire levers in your saddle bag if you don't have them already!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'm buying the tyres off the shop also. They have them ordered for me. Plus in just over one year, I bought a brand new trek ds 2, two top of the range kids bikes, and a giant defy advanced 2 2020 worth €2250 7 weeks ago. Plus another €500 odd on other bicycle related products, including shoes, servicing my other bikes, tyres for my other bikes etc. I'm a good customer.

If they charge me a standard rate of fitting though I won't mind. I was being optimistic.

Ah right. In that case, yeah - they'll most likely fit them for free.

Your post read (to me) like you had ordered the tyres elsewhere. My mistake.

crosstownk wrote: »
    Ah right. In that case, yeah - they'll most likely fit them for free.

Your post read (to me) like you had ordered the tyres elsewhere. My mistake.

You'd want balls like bangali tiger to expect that lol. I love dealing with penny farthing and I come from tallaght to give them my business. It has an old school traditional bike shop customer approach and they know anything you ask them.

I went into a bike shop up here in tallaght when I was looking at bikes and asked the guy working there how much was a particular bike. He looked about as bright as a two watt bulb and replied, I don't know and walked off.

What size did you go for in the end?

When it comes to the reliability and hearing the good and the bad, I think another point is that the 4000 was around so long there was such a huge amount of people using them and data that the good and bad points were plain to see.

Just if you do end up re-fitting them yourself down the line for any reason, I found both the 25's and 32's really tight to get on so might be worth packing some tire levers in your saddle bag if you don't have them already!

I went with 32s clinchers in the end. Thanks for the advice, I've heard they can be a bit of a pig when fitting. That's why I'm getting the shop to do it but I have a set of levers on the bike for emergencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭rolling boh

my apologies i also read it that you got the tyres elsewhere the shop should stick them on of course but still hope you can change them yourself as well because the dreaded punture will surely happen at some stage .

my apologies i also read it that you got the tyres elsewhere the shop should stick them on of course but still hope you can change them yourself as well because the dreaded punture will surely happen at some stage .[/quote

Ah yeah it's grand, I didn't explain it properly.

I can fly tyres on and off fairly handy. The bike is due its 8 week free service the same time the tyres are arriving so it's best to get a pro do it while they're at it in anyway.

Continental gp 5000 32 clinchers.
    At last they arrived. Went back to tubed as I don't like tubeless. These were a tight fit but got them on with tyre levers.

They are very fast and roll well. And they are as comfortable if not more comfortable than the tubeless fondos that were on it. They are a light but durable looking tyre too.

I'm running them at 90 psi but I might drop it to 85/80 for added comfort. And most importantly, they look great. I'm glad I went for the 32's in the end.

I put standard tubes in them as the shop advised against latex tubes unless I'm racing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I found their grip and rolling resistance better than the GP4000S II. Only in race conditions though, as in all out cornering like a lunatic. This said, personal experience is they are not as durable but it is still early days and the 4000s had the odd bad batch but so far, if it was long distance cycling, Id pick the 4000s over the 5000s, hopefully the 5000s improve over time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I put standard tubes in them as the shop advised against latex tubes unless I'm racing.
    odd place to put the pump? unless it's completely sheltered by the crud catcher?

odd place to put the pump? unless it's completely sheltered by the crud catcher?

I had large crossbar bag in the mid section of the bike so moved the pump and bottle holder to the current position.I'll be moving it back to the seat tube soon.

I had large crossbar bag in the mid section of the bike so moved the pump and bottle holder to the current position.I'll be moving it back to the seat tube soon.

I had a pump where it hung there as its holder was held by the bottle cage bolts and it hung off to the side by design. I think all the BBB ones used to do this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

mine do too, but i've always used the bolts on the seat tube to mount it, as mentioned above.

mine do too, but i've always used the bolts on the seat tube to mount it, as mentioned above.

Several of my old bikes only had the one bottle cage holder so no choice really but it does look smarter

Had a 30 min blast to work on them there.
    They are unreal. Very fast and comfortable. I was pushing them at 40klm into the corners and they grip the road like glue.
    Can't get over how good they are. They are better than I expected.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I put about 5000km on a set since last February 2019 and they are holding up great, done spins on the canal and no problems

• Advertisement

Had a 30 min blast to work on them there.
    They are unreal. Very fast and comfortable. I was pushing them at 40klm into the corners and they grip the road like glue.
    Can't get over how good they are. They are better than I expected.

That's what sold me on the grip. I was racing early last year and there is a 90 degree bend about 800m shy of the finish. I went early before the corner but everyone sped up so I barely came round the group before the corner. Not far off 60km/he. The bunch slowed but I came round. Someone had parked an RV round the corner. In a split second I had to decide to ditch it or hit the RV as the angle was too tight. Somehow I held the road and actually pulled in tighter than my experience would have told me was possible. Fantastic grip. Admittedly I blew up 10seconds later and came in last but the grip was incredible

Advertisement