Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Treading water.. Buoyancy shorts

• 18-06-2020 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

So I'm new to swimming and am struggling with learning to tread water... Can anybody tell me if using buoyancy shorts would help by making it a bit easier to keep myself afloat while learning the proper mechanics of treading? Or am I way off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

They probably will, but learning how to scull effectively will do more for you without the expense.

Treading is the opposite of stroke swimming in how to learn it. The arms are the first thing to get right.

Chest deep water (or slightly less) start the sculling motion with your arms, then gradually take the weight off your legs until you can tuck them up under you while keeping your head out of water using your arms.

Legs only provide a very small amount of propulsive force when treading until you really have the hang of eggbeater kick, breaststroke kick or straddle kick. smooth calm arm movements, comfort with your bouyancy position and breath control are far more important.

Work on staying calm and relaxed. Fast panicky or urgent movements are the absolute enemy.

When you get the hang of eggbeater kick, it is an absolute weapon (watch some waterpolo goalkeepers for an idea how powerful it is) but it does sap quite a bit of energy and requires quite a bit of training to master.

Keep it simple, relax and get the arms working would be my advice. Bouyancy shorts in 2m of water aren't going to help you relax at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭heno86

OK great, thanks for the advice I'll try that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Just to add to Angryhippie posted there, all of which I'd agree with. I think buoyancy shorts will help you more if you're the type of swimmer whose legs tend to drag in the water when you freestyle, ie they'll help lift your hips and legs rather than help you float when you tread the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

From my limited experience, my buoyancy shorts are no use for treading water, especially the sea. They are great for lifting the hips in freestyle and really help with sinky legs.

I'd agree with AngryHippie, learn to tread water without any aids and you'll find it's not too hard with a bit of practice

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭heno86

Yeh I've been trying for a while with the treading and just not getting it. I can scull partially but trying to learn the egg beater kick at the same time isn't working so was hoping they could provide a bit of assistance while I ingrain the technique.. Without resorting to adult armbands haha

• Advertisement
Advertisement