Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nest multiple items - advice needed!!

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

nheav wrote: »
    I'm the same, only use the Google WiFi.
    Problem is, because it's an Airtight house (I assume anyway) that the signal isn't getting through the walls very easily to the cameras.

At the moment I have the WiFi Hub set up on the window sill and it is powering 2 of the cameras and the doorbell (but the 2 are a bit away and occassionally dropping) and the WiFi point is set up near the back door to get the camera to the back garden.
    However neither are in the ideal location, especially for the 2 cameras at the front of the house, so I was thinking of an alternative!

The signal is very weak outside, but as soon as you step inside the house it's a full strength signal!

How about temporaily moving your satellite close to the door to see if that makes any difference, maybe even "dangle" it out the window next to the camera, that'll figure out if it's a signal issue or something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nheav

Clareman wrote: »
    How about temporaily moving your satellite close to the door to see if that makes any difference, maybe even "dangle" it out the window next to the camera, that'll figure out if it's a signal issue or something else.

Thanks for that, but what you mean by the Satellite?

Am I missing something??? We've a fixed line service....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

nheav wrote: »
    Thanks for that, but what you mean by the Satellite?

Am I missing something??? We've a fixed line service....

Sorry, access point, the node or the dohickey of the yokey, the other white yoke that isn't the main 1 :o

Clareman wrote: »
    Sorry, access point, the node or the dohickey of the yokey, the other white yoke that isn't the main 1 :o

Haha,
    With you now!

So I have 1 of them, and currently it is just inside the back door, and the camera on the back garden has had no issues.

I am going to test it in our sitting room in a place nearest the 2 cameras that are struggling, I am confident it'll give a good enough signal.

However my problem is, they are €120+ for an additional point, which is not too bad, but I was hoping a different solution (such as powerline etc) might be available, as ideally, long term, I want a WiFi point upstairs as we plan to convert the attic so having the Google point on the 1st floor will allow signal to the 2nd floor.
    So if I'm buying 1 I would have to buy 2 really, and if it would do the same job (or a god enough job) I was hoping for a different solution of some kind!

Hope that all makes sense!

Spotted this on Prime Day, might solve your problem for about half the price of a new wifi point (I looked up the proper name :D)
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B013SYHHI2

• Advertisement

Great, thanks a lot!
    Will check it out!

Advertisement