Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Assassins Creed Valhalla (Vikings)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I'm on base PS4 and have had only a few animation bugs. Once I had to reload a save cause i was trapped in a sliding animation bug.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

30 hours later and I've switched to male Eivor. My only regret is that I didn't pick him from the start. He's great.
    Female Eivor tries way too hard, she's one note and has no emotional variation in tone.

I much preferred using Evie, and thought Kassandra was infinitely better than Alexios, but that is the vibe I was getting pre-release. There is just something about her that feels a little out of place, gonna go with a male Eivor when I start it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

I think they've knocked it out the park on this one. I've only just got to England but I'm loving it so far. Yes, it's a little buggy but that in itself can have its own charm, nothing quite like a Viking doing pirouettes whilst talking about raiding.

I love the music, really adding some atmosphere with Tempe ambient soundtrack. The combat feels much better to me also, I've put it on hard and it can occasionally actually be a challenge.

The only thing I'm not keen on is the HDR implementation, although I feel like it's always been poor in Assassins Creed. I have to stick my contrast on pretty much 100% and increase the nuts to a value high above what my monitor is actually capable of for it to even seem remotely good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

What platform are you on?

Series x

On a side note I made it to England and butchering people while raiding monasteries is a lot of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Probes wrote: »
    I think they've knocked it out the park on this one. I've only just got to England but I'm loving it so far. Yes, it's a little buggy but that in itself can have its own charm, nothing quite like a Viking doing pirouettes whilst talking about raiding.

I love the music, really adding some atmosphere with Tempe ambient soundtrack. The combat feels much better to me also, I've put it on hard and it can occasionally actually be a challenge.

The only thing I'm not keen on is the HDR implementation, although I feel like it's always been poor in Assassins Creed. I have to stick my contrast on pretty much 100% and increase the nuts to a value high above what my monitor is actually capable of for it to even seem remotely good.

Seems Ubisoft have finally achieved the coveted Bethesda trophy of people considering your bugs to be charming. They'll be over the moon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Seems that the PS5 and XSX version are practically identical, that's nice to hear.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

*chuckles*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Morathi

The combat feels much better to me also, I've put it on hard and it can occasionally actually be a challenge.

This doesn't sound like a positive. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Female Eivor has got this Norwegian Katie Taylor vibe going on!
    It's very monotonous alright!
    Haven't used the male version yet, he's much better then? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Tip: Something that may/may not be obvious. On the map, the big yellow orbs indicate treasures, like ingots etc.
    But the tiny yellow orbs indicate chests which have money/resources etc :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

To be fair oddessy didn't really make sense if you played as a male I don't see why they bother tbh just pick a character and build them better

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

nerd69 wrote: »
    I don't see why they bother tbh just pick a character and build them better

Because it's not the cool thing lately to have to play as a character with a specific gender. It's BS, I play games to enjoy the story, and it's extremely difficult to make a proper story (regardless of your feelings on if the story is good or not, I liked it) fit both genders.

Like yourself, I don't care if it's a male or female character, as long it's engaging and fun. Many games have proven this, Uncharted, Tomb Raider, Horizon, God of War...

Then again, maybe it's an RPG thing, but Ubi haven't figured out how to do it properly yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

I'm enjoying it so far. Probably more so that I got it free with my ryzen cpu. It's fairly buggy though on PC though. Seems there's an issue with using a Bluetooth controller. Causing mad stutter and slowdown. People talking about it on reddit. No stutter if used with a wired controller or mouse and keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,224 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Because it's not the cool thing lately to have to play as a character with a specific gender. It's BS, I play games to enjoy the story, and it's extremely difficult to make a proper story (regardless of your feelings on if the story is good or not, I liked it) fit both genders.

Like yourself, I don't care if it's a male or female character, as long it's engaging and fun. Many games have proven this, Uncharted, Tomb Raider, Horizon, God of War...

Then again, maybe it's an RPG thing, but Ubi haven't figured out how to do it properly yet.

Given recent reports about Ubisoft, it seems like some of the higher-ups have been dead set against having just a female protagonist for a while. Most of the game designers just wanted Evie as the main character in Syndicate but they were forced to have Jacob and Evie, they wanted Aya in Origins after playing the beginning as Bayek but had to stick with Bayek for the whole game, and wanted Kassandra in Odyssey but had to go with the Kassandra/Alexios option.

Most of it stems from the complaints from Unity where they introduced multiplayer but only 4 male characters because they said it was too much hard work to make one of the characters female.

They haven't been allowed to actually just go with a female protagonist and instead have been trying these half measures to give the option of having both, even though it leads to really messy ways of trying to incorporate it.

Those higher-ups are mostly gone now due to abusive work practices and harassment, and given the attention surrounding why they weren't allowed to go with a single female protagonist, I imagine that's the way the next game will go.

If I am wearing raven gear should I add all my skill points to the raven branch in skills? Or should all branches be getting skill points added?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

If I am wearing raven gear should I add all my skill points to the raven branch in skills? Or should all branches be getting skill points added?

That's what I've been doing, specifically towards the Raven Gear bonuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Got my first really bad bug. So I was starting a raid, and the long boat is thrown in the air, and Eivor got stuck in the ground for a few seconds, and then she got out some how and the long boat leaning against the tree and the crew were all needing to be revived.

It was pretty hilarious, wish I had the sense to record or take a screenshot :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I'm about 30ish hours into this so far and it was going pretty well until it crashed last night, have seen a lot of bugs been mentioned but this is the first issue I've had.

I'm enjoying the game so far but I did find it very annoying when I ended up in
    Asgard and had to do quests before I could leave
    . I find attacking the bosses from above with arrows then stealth attack makes the boss fights a lot easier

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

Went to make a new manual save a while ago and saw that a previous one had been corrupted, seems to be happening to quite a few people. Quitting the game seems to fix the bug for most but for others all their save files including autosaves have been corrupted! Seems to be happening across all platforms too. I’m hoping it was just a once off fo me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hey_Listen

Went to make a new manual save a while ago and saw that a previous one had been corrupted, seems to be happening to quite a few people. Quitting the game seems to fix the bug for most but for others all their save files including autosaves have been corrupted! Seems to be happening across all platforms too. I’m hoping it was just a once off fo me :(

Seems like it's best to leave this game until they've finished getting the general public testing it for free :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

Hey_Listen wrote: »
    Seems like it's best to leave this game until they've finished getting the general public testing it for free :)

I’d say it might the best to leave it a while unless you really want to play it right now, saying that there are still probably plenty of people who’ve had no problems. I had one incidence of stutter and lag but it’s been running great since then apart from the corrupted save which is a worry, I don’t think I’d bother re-starting until they fixed it if I ended up losing all my saves.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

It's funny that there's an achievement I got, 'It's Not A Bug, It's A Feature'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Penn wrote: »
    Given recent reports about Ubisoft, it seems like some of the higher-ups have been dead set against having just a female protagonist for a while. Most of the game designers just wanted Evie as the main character in Syndicate but they were forced to have Jacob and Evie, they wanted Aya in Origins after playing the beginning as Bayek but had to stick with Bayek for the whole game, and wanted Kassandra in Odyssey but had to go with the Kassandra/Alexios option.

Most of it stems from the complaints from Unity where they introduced multiplayer but only 4 male characters because they said it was too much hard work to make one of the characters female.

They haven't been allowed to actually just go with a female protagonist and instead have been trying these half measures to give the option of having both, even though it leads to really messy ways of trying to incorporate it.

Those higher-ups are mostly gone now due to abusive work practices and harassment, and given the attention surrounding why they weren't allowed to go with a single female protagonist, I imagine that's the way the next game will go.

I liked playing as Kassandra in Odyssey, and Alexios was a more believable evil guy. However for a Vikings game, I'd much rather play as a male. I know you had shield maidens like Lagertha in Vikings, but I'd say vast majority would want to be Ragnar not Lagertha.

Advertisement