Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone tempted by the open water?

• 24-03-2020 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

I'm really really missing swimming,
    Any of ye though about scratching the itch with the open water?

I'm half thinking of sorting myself out for some sea swimming.
    Mind you the temps look scary at 7-8deg
    https://seatemperature.info/malahide-water-temperature.html

anyone here recommend a beginners wetsuit for swimming?
    what else would be needed? neoprene hat, gloves, socks??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Kurt_Godel.

I've been in 3 times last week, 10mins each time. My hands were really sore the first time, but soon got used to it. The next couple of times it felt a lot easier. With all the crazy stuff going on now, it felt fantastic to be out there in the sea.

Wore a wetsuit and 3 latex hats, others I was with wore gloves and boots too and said it was more comfortable. But its all a matter of perspective; there are plenty of folk swimming year round in Ireland in just a pair of trunks and a smile, and I have to say they tend to have a lovely perspective on life in general.

If you have a wetsuit you should go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Verry tempted. Maybe this weekend for 5 or 10mins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I have been in all winter, 20 or 25 minutes at a time, about a kilometre. Just togs and 3 hats. The biggest factor is not so much the water temperature as the air temperature/chill factor when you get out. Much easier to get dressed in a mild ambient air temperature with a bit of sunshine. If you keep moving and swim as hard as you can you will generate heat in the water. First minute is where you want to be careful to get your breathing and stroke going after the initial immersion shock. Prepare for cold hands and feet in the water if air temperature is low or there is a breeze.

Try and minimise any buttons on your clothing and use slip on shoes if possible. Hang your clothes in the order you are going to put them back on. Something like a gardening mat or newspaper to stand on is useful. Get dressed as quick as possible and go for a brisk walk rather than standing around. Wear a hat but if you are using gloves make sure they are relatively loose so you can pull them on with cold fingers

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

I am tempted by the sea , I can't stand the cold though . Might get in this weekend any tips on best time to get in ? Does it matter much if you get in at high or low tide , I'm thinking more in regards to currents etc is there any specific time that is best to get in? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

Any recommendations on a wetsuit? or perhaps what thickness to get (east coast swimming)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,773 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Is now really the time to be considering trying sea swimming for the first time as a complete novice?

In the tail end of winter, with the sea at its coldest, and emergency services stretched beyond breaking point?

Really???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭degsie

Some people live in a bubble

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭martin6651

Year round open water skin swimmer BUT cant get in because of Covid-19 ban.

martin6651 wrote: »
    Year round open water skin swimmer BUT cant get in because of Covid-19 ban.

No ban on exercise. I assume the travel ban is affecting you?
    If you live within 2kms of sea/river/lake you should be ok.
    Unfortunately most people don't..:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Would you not just stay at home? Is it that hard???

• Advertisement

Out side the 2k limit of Blackrock(Galway) so staying at home.

Out side the 2k limit of Blackrock(Galway) so staying at home.

Inside the limit for Seapoint Dublin but recovering from Covid (day 13 in my room) so definitely staying at home!!

Seaswimmer get better soon. Not expecting to get a swim in before June if things keep going as predicted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

9.5 degrees in Seapoint today. I built up to 17 minutes in the water today but felt grand. It took me a long time to build up to 10 minutes. At the start it was a 30 second dip and gradually built it up. From what I've read if you can go 2 or 3 times a week you'll build up your tolerance quickly. Read up on vasoconstriction. Makes sense. And stay within your 2k radius!

Went to have a look at the River Corrib today(I'm getting desperate for a swim) temp. 11deg. area where I would swim was blocked off. May have to go further up to a spot within my 2k limit.

Why can't people just go for a brisk walk instead of finding ingenious ways to place themselves and the over-stretched front line responders at risk? If people think that lone swimming is safe, they need to take a long look at themselves in the mirror.

degsie I always swim on my own that way I have no one else to worry about except myself . I'm also going for brisk walks as well.

P.S. I don't need to have a long look at myself I'm just too ugly.

Irish Coast Guard urge people not to use the sea for recreation

This was issued yesterday- always better to take info/guidance from official sources. I've not been in the sea since the 2km rule came into force, but know plenty who have who will now stop on the Coast Guard recommendation.

Good luck to all, hopefully we will be back in the waves soon enough.

P.S. I don't need to have a long look at myself I'm just too ugly.

You're lucky so as they don't provide mirrors in ICU afaik.

• Advertisement

degsie I dont need this **** here. I get enough on facebook/twitter when I swim during the winter.

degsie I dont need this **** here. I get enough on facebook/twitter when I swim during the winter.

Ignore it Martin, there is an unfortunate amount of posters over-enforcing lockdown regulations across various sports forums the past couple of weeks. Its a shame people who never posted in forums before suddenly think their opinions have weight. Everyone is stressed and sometimes silence is golden.

Enjoy any current freedom, accept those freedoms will change, and look forward to when we are free to enjoy the OW again. I'm on a whatsapp group that is planning relay swims once we are free to do so; and I have to say its a release to plan that (rather than reply to zealots who don't even exercise :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭elperello

https://rnli.org/news-and-media/2020/april/09/rnli-urges-people-not-to-use-the-sea-for-exercise-or-recreation

Freshwater swimmer here.

RNLI + Coastguard that's enough for me, togs staying dry till we get the all-clear.

Thank you Kurt. Hopefully it wont be long to wait for you to get in your relay.

elperello wrote: »
    https://rnli.org/news-and-media/2020/april/09/rnli-urges-people-not-to-use-the-sea-for-exercise-or-recreation

Freshwater swimmer here.

RNLI + Coastguard that's enough for me, togs staying dry till we get the all-clear.

You already have the all-clear, the RNLI guidance only mentions the sea. You are quite free to swim lake and rivers within a 2km radius of your home...

But you know that, you've specified you are a freshwater swimmer. Another poster with zero prior input to the forum, looking for a fight when saying nothing would have been more useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You already have the all-clear, the RNLI guidance only mentions the sea. You are quite free to swim lake and rivers within a 2km radius of your home...

But you know that, you've specified you are a freshwater swimmer. Another poster with zero prior input to the forum, looking for a fight when saying nothing would have been more useful.

No need for that tone. I didn't criticise anyone.

I just saw the headline, I looked in to see the posts and I knew the RNLI had issued that warning so I added it to the discussion.

As it happens the RNLI have three freshwater bases in Ireland so I consider their advice is applicable to me also.

Swim Ireland have just cancelled OW events until August- that's a huge blow and personally I'm surprised by the length of their cancellation when other Gov agencies are adopting a fortnightly wait-and-see approach.

Swim Ireland statement:
    Cancellation of Open Water Swimming Events

May 01, 2020

Update – 1st May 2020

The following update provides Swim Ireland clubs further direction and guidance in relation to the Open Water Season and training considering guidelines from the Irish and UK Governments regarding Covid-19.

Open Water Season

Swim Ireland announces today that all open water races under its jurisdiction originally scheduled to take place between now and the end of July will no longer take place. This decision has not been taken lightly and due consideration has been given to advices from the Irish and UK governments and consultations with the open water community. The situation will be further reviewed for August/September, should restrictions ease, however, events that might be given the go-ahead will only be where they can be delivered in line with all Government and public health advices and diktats and where this might be possible Swim Ireland in consultation with our open water community will issue specific guidance in this regard.

We have written to the HSE seeking advices in relation to the impact of COVID 19 in relation to open water specifically and we are currently considering these advices. At this juncture club training is to remain ceased in line with existing public health measures.

If clubs have queries or concerns, please contact your Club Support Officer who will be able to provide you with assistance.

We continue to monitor the situation very carefully and will issue further advice to our clubs and members as this become available. Please continue to regularly check the Swim Ireland website for further updates and contact Swim Ireland if you have any urgent questions or concerns.

The sea is calling and on Tuesday it will be within my 5K range.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I live right by the sea and have been swimming in just swimsuit and hat since January, more now since the lockdown.
    It's not that cold now (east coast), and I swim an hour before high tide so the water's heading in.

Definitely agree that the coldest bit is when you get out! I just dry myself and put on a massive coat and flip flops and walk really quickly back to my flat, takes about a minute. I used to change once I got out but by the time i got dry and dressed again I was freezing. Easy to do now rather than in winter!

I only swim for about 40 mins, I'm not a proper swimmer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement