Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Senda Litoral Route Portuguese Camino

• 19-01-2020 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Afternoon fellow Boardsies
    I will be walking the Portuguese Camino this April for the first time. I have a few questions for anybody that has done it.
    Aim is to start with the Senda Litoral route from Porto to Caminha and then walk to the main Portuguese Central route via Valenca.
    I hope to complete it in 10 days..Is 10 days too aggressive for the walk?
    Also whats the story with accommodation along the way. Do i have to book in advance on websites like booking.com or can i reach each town and look for these camino albergue's? Whats the story with these albergue's? Just arrive each day and look for a bunk bed? What would the availability be like in April just rocking up to these albergue's without booking in advance does anybody know?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭amber69

I did the Portuguese central route in 2018 in 10 days. Prebooked all accommodation. Buy John Brierleys book on the route your taking. I've walked the camino France way from Leon previously. I didn't use the hostels so I can't help. Spoke to plenty of people who did.. Bring ear plugs. Wouldn't imagine you'd have any issues getting a bed. I did one 39km day and a few 33 or so others also 1 17km. Towards the end I met people who left Porto 2 days before me.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭KinnegadKid

Thanks for the reply..if I book on booking etc the hostels are 15 to 20 euro per night...I'm sure the albergues are cheaper than that?

Thanks for the reply..if I book on booking etc the hostels are 15 to 20 euro per night...I'm sure the albergues are cheaper than that?

You can get private rooms in some hostels. Seen signs in house windows for 7 euros a bed in places. I've stayed in nice hotels farmhouse bandb private rooms in hostels ect. The advantage to prebooked bed or rooms is there's no rush to getting there. Best lesson I've learned is to take your time. You'll enjoy the experience more and less likely to get blisters. I've had serious blisters caused by speed.. Heat and goretex boots. You learn to forget about the uncomfort and get on with it

Thanks for that....not worrying about money or prices but these albergues are less than half of the price than booking website....I might book the first 5 days with booking and see how the land lies after that....mite just walk and stay on a daily basis in the albergues....what time in the morning did you set out each day?

Around 8 depending on the breakfast time the longer the day the earlier the better. My longest day didn't finish until 5pm. 39km.. wasn't too tired or sore but fed up walking done nearly all on my own. Most people follow John Brierleys book. One guy on my first trip when asked where he was finishing that day just said I'm going to the top of the page. You'll understand if you read the book

• Advertisement

caminodesantiago.me... is a forum dedicated to the camino.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Gorteen

I'm cycling the route from Porto in April too. I've prebooked hotel accommodation using Booking.com

When are you heading out from Porto in April? I'm starting my walk on the 16th of April...Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Gorteen

When are you heading out from Porto in April? I'm starting my walk on the 16th of April...Thanks

21st April. Arriving in Santiago 27th April

• Registered Users Posts: 1 WaitingAround

Do you know if all the hotels in Porto remained open during April?

• Advertisement
Advertisement