Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Luke Kelly statue vandalised

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

Looks like Bono with shades 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Looks like they painted on a pair of sunglasses. ****ty thing to do, but probably not the worst case of vandalism I’ve seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,592 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Well...I've no time for a hideous piece of 'art' like that, but I do enjoy a moan about little scrotes.

Hang 'em all, I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,542 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Wait for the excusers........

• Registered Users Posts: 14,542 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Haha they are in while I was typing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Word on the street is that a local lad called Ronnie drew it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I honestly thought it would be worse TBH but it's still disgraceful.

Oh and those of you who have no knowledge of the great Luke Kelly and think this is all a bit of craic; shame on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

No respect for anybody. Including one of their own

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The state of the thing in fairness. Plus what do they expect if you put anything in that area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Chicken George

One mans art is another mans vandalism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Luke would find it funny

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

And of course Christy "one of our own" Burke has to chime in with another worthless opinion about how the community was wronged, as if a gang of businessmen from Dalkey did it. He was curiously unavailable for comment when his family members were convicted of possessing weapons in the area though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

The state of the thing in fairness. Plus what do they expect if you put anything in that area.

Not condoning the vandalism for one minute....

But it really wasn't much to look at anyway. They could and should have done Luke's memory better service with something more dignified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

doughef wrote: »
    Looks like Bono with shades ��

Looks like Bono with Aids

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

One mans art is another mans vandalism.

I think the statue itself was vandalism in a first place.

I still want the arshwipes to be made to lick the paint off until the statue is clean again but that’s a different debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Not condoning the vandalism for one minute....

But it really wasn't much to look at anyway. They could and should have done Luke's memory better service with something more dignified.

It's an awful yolk, looks like he's about to vomit or blow someone

• Registered Users Posts: 14,592 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Duffy will be looking to get some coverage with this on the Lahvlahn.

"Its a wunderful statue.......sure isn't it great.......wasn't he marvelous etc etc"

It's in bits FFS..... before it was vandalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,482 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Disgusted by the idiots that would do something like that.
    Luke Kelly is probably the greatest Irish singer of all time, a true legend.
    It's just sickening that somebody would do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

eagle eye wrote: »
    Disgusted by the idiots that would do something like that.
    Luke Kelly is probably the greatest Irish singer of all time, a true legend.
    It's just sickening that somebody would do this.

They've probably never heard of him given the breadth of their cultural and intellectual scope.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

sabat wrote: »
    And of course Christy "one of our own" Burke has to chime in with another worthless opinion about how the community was wronged, as if a gang of businessmen from Dalkey did it. He was curiously unavailable for comment when his family members were convicted of possessing weapons in the area though.

Sounds like yoube just been waiting to have a go tbh, he was involved with commissioning the statue apparently so of course he's going to comment on it, and he implied nothing of the sort

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Sounds like yoube just been waiting to have a go tbh, he was involved with commissioning the statue apparently so of course he's going to comment on it, and he implied nothing of the sort

Auld Christy defaced many a city centre and innocent bystander in his time, so I’m sure he’ll have the awareness to keep his outrage to a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

sabat wrote: »

peter2-3-752x501.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭touts

Surprised it lasted this long. Awful piece of "art". Of the two statues the taxpayers funded that one was more about the artist showing off than a celebration of the subject. Apparently the Kelly family themselves hated it. I don't condone vandalism but arguably that thing was vandalism to start with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

Looks like the Beheading Of Lino Ritchie

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Jog on Burke, you couldn't keep a boulder nice down Sheriffer way and you bloody well knew that all the time you lobbied for this. (spare me the Joe Duffy salta dee eart community shyte too, if a community can't put a leash on its own then thats all you need to know about it)

The notion of putting a statue of Luke in Dublin 1 was always daft, famous people get prominent positions, not outside the front door they grew up in and they could have saved themselves all this bother by not having the Sheriffer statue and moving the Stephens Green one down to either O'Donoghues or Raglan Road a lá Phillo Lynott or Patrick Kavanagh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

God know what the little ****es will do to the Michael Jackson statue.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

God know what the little ****es will do to the Michael Jackson statue.

Stay the feck away. Just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Whoever did that is a scumbag of the lowest order :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I'm shocked to hear that it lasted that long if I'm honest. Pointless putting a statue like that in that part of town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

mfceiling wrote: »
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/community-outraged-as-luke-kelly-statue-is-vandalised-932988.html

It was only a matter of time. Probably the most famous person from the area (go on out of that Gately) and that's the respect he's been given.
    Little scrotes up to no good as usual....But but but they've no amenities, it's not their fault etc.
    It was a truly striking piece of art that couldn't be appreciated.
    Knackers.
    Couldn’t agree more, ah but the poor little chislers there’s nothing in the area for them sure they have to turn to vandalism, I blame the government...
    In fairness it’s probably the worst place you could put anything as it’s just a knacker hole and you can talk about all the urban regeneration horse**** you like, a knacker is a knacker

Advertisement