Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tokyo 2020 Qualifying. Athletes to watch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭AhhHere

Scullion running Houston right now. Aiming for 2:11:30 to qualify fo Tokyo. Knows the course after running here last year (and taking a wrong turn at 1 point). The weather is much milder than last year and this a flat course compared to Dublin.

I think he'll do it.

Stream> https://abc13.com/watch/23374/

Through halfway at: 1:05.48

Exactly on pace

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

AhhHere wrote: »
    Scullion running Houston right now. Aiming for 2:11:30 to qualify fo Tokyo. Knows the course after running here last year (and taking a wrong turn at 1 point). The weather is much milder than last year and this a flat course compared to Dublin.

I think he'll do it.

Stream> https://abc13.com/watch/23374/

Half way in 1.05.48. Gonna be a big ask to negative split judging by how pace has gone so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

KSU wrote: »
    Half way in 1.05.48. Gonna be a big ask to negative split judging by how pace has gone so far

No better buachaill :) #animal

Scullion in 9th place!

+3.29 off first. By the times, he's a min a head and behind the nearest men.

• Advertisement

Scullion in 9th place!

+3.29 off first. By the times, he's a min a head and behind the nearest men.

7th now. One pacer definetly dropped out. Assumed another one did too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

4 mins behind leaders at km 35, What are the predicted finishing times??

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Itziger wrote: »
    4 mins behind leaders at km 35, What are the predicted finishing times??
    Scullion predicted at 2:12:03 at the last split, he's gaining on 6th and well ahead of 8th.
    Seems to be holding his pace well

Up to 5th at 3.19 from leader.

Through 40k in 2:05:23, slowing slightly. Predicted finish slipping towards 2:12:30 ISH.
    Hopefully he can finish strong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

2:11:51

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    2:11:51
    Ah, balls

He was all out at the end, just seconds off 4th. Great run by him.

Ah, balls

Some effort though. What a shame, does that mean Tokyo is out or can he still be sent. Was giving it everything there but just couldn't take 3rd or find the seconds needed.

Some effort though. What a shame, does that mean Tokyo is out or can he still be sent. Was giving it everything there but just couldn't take 3rd or find the seconds needed.

It will be a long wait. Might be enough to improve his ranking to put him in a spot but there is alot of time still in the window.

It will be a long wait. Might be enough to improve his ranking to put him in a spot but there is alot of time still in the window.

3 marathons in the last 5 months, no? Body must be well tired at this stage. Will he have one more attempt?!?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

This and you can also bet that there will be a lot more automatic places with Saville, London Rotterdam and Paris marathons just to name a few.

Can anyone clarify the qualifications criteria.
    From memory there were only 80 place. Being made up of automatic times and ranking places.
    Is this still the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

3 marathons in the last 5 months, no? Body must be well tired at this stage. Will he have one more attempt?!?!?!

I think he said he was doing Boston. Maybe he might look for an entry to London a week later instead?

Whats the state of play now? Is this right?

1. Pollock- 2:10:25
    2. Scullion- 2:11:51
    3. Clohisey- 2:13:xx
    4. Seaward- 2:13xx

Scullion just tweeted saying a 5th place finish in gold standard races qualifies him.

https://twitter.com/scullion262/status/1218918852366684160

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭browne_rob5

He has actually qualified already as he finished top 5 in an IAAF gold label marathon!

• Advertisement

Ceepo wrote: »
    This and you can also bet that there will be a lot more automatic places with Saville, London Rotterdam and Paris marathons just to name a few.

Can anyone clarify the qualifications criteria.
    From memory there were only 80 place. Being made up of automatic times and ranking places.
    Is this still the case.

80 including auto qualifiers but with only 3 per country it confuses things a bit.

Currently the last person in a ranking position that will get a spot is on 1140 points based on a 1.01.58 half and 2.10.58 full.

Between the bonus points for National Championships in Dublin and the Silver Label in Houston Scullion should overtake him putting him in a Q position following this weekend but only barely.

He has actually qualified already as he finished top 5 in an IAAF gold label marathon!

I thought the Half was gold label and the full was silver?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭browne_rob5

The full became gold label this year

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Gold this year: https://www.chevronhoustonmarathon.com/2020-houston-marathon-elite-athlete-field-2/. Looks like he's good

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Scullion just tweeted saying a 5th place finish in gold standard races qualifies him.

https://twitter.com/scullion262/status/1218918852366684160

Brilliant news

I think he said he was doing Boston. Maybe he might look for an entry to London a week later instead?

Whats the state of play now? Is this right?

1. Pollock- 2:10:25
    2. Scullion- 2:11:51
    3. Clohisey- 2:13:xx
    4. Seaward- 2:13xx

Am I right in saying that Pollock has an automatic slot due his time and Scullion because of point accrued.
    Clohisey or Seaward would need to run the time as it would be hard to see them getting the required points.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

Am I right in saying that Pollock has an automatic slot due his time and Scullion because of point accrued.
    Clohisey or Seaward would need to run the time as it would be hard to see them getting the required points.

I think I read that two more Irish Athletes would have to achieve sub 2:11:30 in order to bump Scullion from getting a spot.

I think Pollock is number 1 in the list.

Top 5 in a Gold label event counts as an automatic qualifier so him and Pollock are viewed as being in the same boat.

The only thing which could deny him now would be if more than 3 get Auto Qualifiers (either time or top 5 in any gold label marathon) in which case it would be down to AAI to select team. This would be down to there discretion in the selection policy.

Top 5 in a Gold label event counts as an automatic qualifier so him and Pollock are viewed as being in the same boat.

The only thing which could deny him now would be if more than 3 get Auto Qualifiers (either time or top 5 in any gold label marathon) in which case it would be down to AAI to select team. This would be down to there discretion in the selection policy.

Thanks.
    I dont see that happening tbh.
    It will be interesting to see how Sean Tobin gets on in Saville

• Advertisement

Thanks.
    I dont see that happening tbh.
    It will be interesting to see how Sean Tobin gets on in Saville

Depends on how the last min changes to training camp affected him (with Fall Creeks being closed due to Bushfires)

Would be a huge ask to put him in the mix off his debut especially as to my knowledge he has not yet ran a half.

Advertisement