Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Today I did something in my Garden

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

bleached down the coop after coming out this morning to find a hole dug underneath it and both chickens gone except for a mass of feathers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

Put up 3 washing line poles, making most of the dry weather and being able to get some concrete down.

Also used the excess concrete to patch up a hole on the outside of the house, hopefully it'll stop rats getting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Is it just me or do you find you can spend hours in the garden and appear to have done feck all.
    I think I spend more time daydreaming of what i will do :)

Is it just me or do you find you can spend hours in the garden and appear to have done feck all.

I put it down to getting older, time just ain't what it used to be. Now I err on the side of over-estimating the length of time needed on tasks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭macraignil

Definitely not just you and am doing more of this myself as well. Reading up on and looking at a number of videos recently about the ideas of forest gardening and permaculture which seems to often be based on a more ecologically conscious approach to gardening and keeping the garden working on more nature and wildlife promoting principles. A number of the sources I've looked at seem to emphasise the value of observing how nature is working in the garden in order to make the right decisions on managing the area to work better for nature and wildlife and to improve it rather than just making change for the sake of it, so you are going in completely in the right direction according to the research I've done on the topic so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Just you.:)

Making a herb garden from pallets.

Just planned on putting them together but all it needs now are some plants.

I got 4 euro pallets, painted them and lined them( with silage plastic).

After screwing them into a square I filled it with branches and compost to pack it out. Then put in cardboard, leaves and seaweed. Topped with compost.
    The runners are lined and filled with compost for flowers. Herbs will go in the main section on top.
    I'm even using some stones from the beach for decoration.
    Total cost without plants 10 euro for the compost. Everything else was free.

I'll post a picture when it's finished.

Will look something like this
    https://pin.it/YZOXTVSGEEFDKK

Finally got started on my wildlife pond. My back won't be happy with me in the morning
    :) but delighted to finally get at it
    20200304-174301.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭farmerval

please explain more about your pond

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Does any of the more seasoned gardeners know if a bag of manure that was left open since last year would still be effective?

Does any of the more seasoned gardeners know if a bag of manure that was left open since last year would still be effective?

Might be even better. I'd have no worries using it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

might be a bit whiffy, but i've used it before with no qualms.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

macraignil wrote: »
    Definitely not just you and am doing more of this myself as well. Reading up on and looking at a number of videos recently about the ideas of forest gardening and permaculture which seems to often be based on a more ecologically conscious approach to gardening and keeping the garden working on more nature and wildlife promoting principles. A number of the sources I've looked at seem to emphasise the value of observing how nature is working in the garden in order to make the right decisions on managing the area to work better for nature and wildlife and to improve it rather than just making change for the sake of it, so you are going in completely in the right direction according to the research I've done on the topic so far.

Have you seen bealtaine cottage, amazing what she has created over the years. Her videos on you tube are wonderful.

Finally got started on my wildlife pond. My back won't be happy with me in the morning
    :) but delighted to finally get at it
    20200304-174301.jpg

Looks like you've got great soil! I've wanted to do this for years but our soil is v heavy clay. Please post pics as you progress

Newbie here... started haybale towers for strawberries and trying growing spuds in old baths so prepping hay for that. Garden v soggy still. Working on window boxes from old pallets..

Anyone here with chickens.... are they worth it...

Well I used it anyway, if nothing else it’ll mulch the flowers. Got a case of what I call ‘gardeners anxiety’ today, that moment when you step outside and realize the scale of what you have to do each spring!

At least I started the ball rolling, did a bit of spring weeding, tidying and mulching in a few boarders. Found my first winter casualty too, I have 2 climbing roses on a north facing wall ‘ zephirine Drouhin’ but it died a second year in a row in one area. They’re in self made containers almost 1m x 1/2m and over a foot deep. I suppose I have to accept that they don’t thrive in containers! I’ll give them one more shot this year with a different variety and if the fails I’ll change plants. Any idea what variety I could use instead, I’m after a climbing pink rose?

Looks like you've got great soil! I've wanted to do this for years but our soil is v heavy clay. Please post pics as you progress

Yeah I'm very lucky. Have great soil. Hope to get back at it on Sunday. Couldn't face the spade today :)

Spring has finally sprung! I got the veg bed turned and manured yesterday. Gardening with a view, no better way to spend quarantine!

507181.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Not quiet gardening. I'm in the middle of building a new chicken run

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Planted some asparagus in a big pot. In 2-3 years i’ll Eat like a king!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I've just had two areas of the 'new to me' garden cleared by a digger and one area which was a horrible wilderness of brambles, ancient elders and rubbish was cleared out and some soil that was surplus to requirements in another area moved to it, so now I have two new areas to work on. Since this was gardening by digger, while he did a very good job, there is a lot of tidying up edges, removing stray brambles and other stuff and general smoothing out and tidying up to do.

Planted a whole lot of lonicera where there had previously been a lonicera hedge that was almost gone to brambles. All the new hedging was dug up suckers from other parts of the garden, about 20+, so that's a good start made.

I have bare root trees and shrubs coming from Future Forests (just squeeked in before they closed) and a load of other stuff, both purchased and gifts so I have a lot of planting to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This thread is about to get busy. I was fearing more intense restrictions.

This thread is about to get busy. I was fearing more intense restrictions.
    i suspect the reason it hasn't already been busy is that people have been too busy in the garden to post...
    have done quite a bit of work in the garden in the last week, and that weather certainly helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭macraignil

i suspect the reason it hasn't already been busy is that people have been too busy in the garden to post...
    have done quite a bit of work in the garden in the last week, and that weather certainly helped.

Good amount done in the garden here as well last week and looks like there will be time for a good bit more over the next couple of weeks. Most of the essential weeding caught up with today. Still got a bit of tidying around the fruit trees and a few other small jobs to do but I think there's going to be another area of lawn that will be converted to something more useful fairly soon.

i mulched the cherry tree which had been standing in my neighbour's front garden - it was diseased and had started to drop branches, not good when it was three foot from a busy footpath. al least i have a good supply of mulch, some firewood for a year or two away, and some wood for the lathe.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Cal04

Looking at some small hydrangeas, think they dmcoukd do with a feed of something, must Google what. Thank god we have gardens to take our mind off everything else

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

i mulched the cherry tree which had been standing in my neighbour's front garden - it was diseased and had started to drop branches, not good when it was three foot from a busy footpath. al least i have a good supply of mulch, some firewood for a year or two away, and some wood for the lathe.

Is mulching plants with diseased wood a good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Have some heavy garden work to dcof removing and old deck and lifting slabs. Had planned to get a skip for that but doubtful I’ll be able to get a skip now. Shame with the extra bit of time now

Is mulching plants with diseased wood a good idea?
    Bark mulch will be broken down by fungus anyway. And the fungus in the tree had been fruiting for a year or two anyway, probably already had been plenty of spores floating about.

Spent yesterday putting in a 3rd flower bed at the front of the house. I got a good deal on Hellebore, Dahlia, Grape Hyacinth, Tulip, Primrose, and Daffodil. A bit late in the year for some, but next year should be quite spectacular.

Sadly I haven't any more plants to put in during the lockdown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'll just pop in a tree just here, says I. Digs fork into ground. An inch in there is a rocky clang. Ok, prise out rock. Try again, another rock. Hm, more digging, more rocks. Ah well I wanted rocks for a little wall nearby. Several more rocks and, hang on a minute this is not rock, its a lump of concrete. Light slowly dawns, if you look at Google images for ten years ago there was an old building along here, guess what, we are digging up a pigsty...

Advertisement