Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cruiser restoration and wheelchair adaption

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Not a lot to show this week as I had some running around to do. To mark out the wall I hung some wallpaper backing paper then holding the level rule level with a pencil in the hole at the end I followed the shape of the hull with the other end of the level and transferred the shape to the backing paper I then cut it out and checked it in place before marking it out on the plywood.

20160603_125625_zpsw85nn1ly.jpg

Im not sure yet where I want the wall to finish so I left it a bit longer, I should have spent a bit more time levelling the boat while she was on the crane as I'm a bit off level in both directions making things tricky to get right as I have to measure from point to point, not to worry nothing is level for long when it's on the water. :)

20160609_122152_zpswergng13.jpg

Cut out the framing for the bunkbeds they are just dry fitted for now as I still have to do the insulation and need to get at the rub rail bolts. There is not much head room in the bottom bunk as I need the top bunk low enough that I can wash and change the young lad.

20160610_141547_zpsfx3lo7o7.jpg

20160610_141619_zpsypceyosq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

There is not much head room in the bottom bunk as I need the top bunk low enough that I can wash and change the young lad.:P

Not to worry I was kept in a Chester drawers; for a couple of years, done me no harm.
    It will be all part of the fun when they get older

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭snowwolf

fergal you are flying along with this project if you keep going at this rate you will have it finished before the end of this season . great work .

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

snowwolf wrote: »
    fergal you are flying along with this project if you keep going at this rate you will have it finished before the end of this season . great work .

Cheers but it will all come to a more or less standstill when the young lad gets his summer holidays :(

A bit of this and a bit of that this week

Marked out to fit a fuel gauge sender as there was only a dip stick for checking the level.

20160617_083634_zpsma9vin45.jpg

20160617_083623_zpsoo8risi0.jpg

When drilling out the holes I used a magnet to catch the fillings I will leave it stuck to the bottom of the tank and it should collect any bits that are in the tank.

20160617_084737_zpsqvbh4dpk.jpg
    Job done.

20160617_101618_zps0fc91580.jpg

Next I cut out some of the bulkhead I plan to have a good bit of storage behind it so it wont be fixed inlace till I cut out the doors or cubby holes.

20160616_134643_zpschzstztq.jpg

Next job was to tackle the head I had to give it a good power wash before I was going in there.

20160305_144457_zpswjvgy7nw.jpg

Toilet has to go as it was cracked at the base there was also some movement in the mount so I will have to check that out.

20160617_105710_zpsd19pylyv.jpg

Removed the wall panels to find more rotting timber I hope this is caused by the shower and not the bad aim of the last owner :)

20160617_120231_zps1n7lmit5.jpg

20160617_125438_zpslh3rcog8.jpg

The plywood in the walls were also a bit on the soft side

20160617_130032_zpsspbhawzo.jpg

So I removed the laminate and glued it onto some new plywood.

20160617_162141_zpspcibvfez.jpg

After removing the toilet platform it was plain to see why it was so soft, I had to cut off the fibreglass to get the rotten wood out and will glass in a new piece I might even glass the ends so this job will never have to be done again :)

20160617_142215_zpsoc53zv7s.jpg

20160617_143934_zpsrp4gvtad.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Great job as usual Fergal. Would love to be able to help in some way, but I'm mad busy with work and living in Kenmare!! You put us all to shame though!

If you're ever coming down this way let me know, we have a few spare rooms and all the water you could ask for, it's called the Atlantic Ocean!

Resorcinol glue I have some available if you think you would use it

copper12 wrote: »
    Resorcinol glue I have some available if you think you would use it

Thanks for the offer :) I think I have enough epoxy to keep me going for now if I run out I will give you a shout. Cheers

This week I finished off the head, I used white car wrapping to coat the walls and fitted an electric toilet.

20160624_152219_zps49ecehqf.jpg

20160624_152055_zpsy6bo6u7w.jpg

With the rapping that was leftover I did under the windows.

20160624_182556_zpsuurlfb61.jpg

20160624_182603_zpsgb8wwjcm.jpg

Played around with the hoist that will lift Kyle from the wheelchair to the bed, I used gate hangers to mount it on this way I can have two more in the main cabin and just lift the hoist off and move it.

20160623_111911_zpswb1vnvy9.jpg

20160623_112031_zpswvzv9iab.jpg

And finally I picked up the doors and gave them a few coats of epoxy.

20160623_090245_zpsdumpllxo.jpg

20160623_115656_zpsmnzxmsab.jpg

great job fergal its coming on great .fair play to you .

• Advertisement

Well that was my last week working on the boat :( with Kyle on his summer hols I wont be getting much done over the next two months except what I can do from home.

This week I put new plywood on both sides.

20160625_130702_zpsbs9ce4nn.jpg

Fitted the doors and made a curved doorstop for the top.

20160626_174432_zpszs5qt3x2.jpg

And the side fillers.

20160625_190425_zpscqosq7t4.jpg

Gave them a few coats of epoxy and fibetglased them in place, I also gave the place a lick of paint just to tidy it up it will all be covered up later so no yellow submarine jokes :)

20160629_151019_zpsctwkg4fy.jpg

Put down some of the insulation.

20160628_122650_zpsyeieecjs.jpg

20160629_151403_zpspjasbcjh.jpg

Covered with plywood.

20160628_134057_zpsexentpfp.jpg

I was hoping to get more work done on the outside but the weather said NO at least I was able to find all the leaks :) it would be nice to have the outside finished before winter then I can just potter around inside when the weather turns, maybe I could hire some young lad to sand the whole boat for me :) there is a hell of lot of square footage in the top,bottom and sides of a 30 foot boat.

Fair play Fergal she’s coming around you have a lot of work done in so little time
    Hanging the lift off the gate hinges should work
    I just wonder if the bulk head needs some more support to take the weight of the lad as he will
    Grow and be even more handsome the yourself :D
    You may well have already thought this true
    Who knows the summer might start next week and you will get the outside sorted ;)

its coming on great fergal keep up the good work i cant wait to see the finished project .

I did indeed think it through :) there is now a large mahogany post going from floor to ceiling that is gassed in.

copper12 wrote: »
    I just wonder if the bulk head needs some more support to take the weight of the lad as he will
    Grow and be even more handsome the yourself :D
    You may well have already thought this true
    Who knows the summer might start next week and you will get the outside sorted ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭VisionaryP

Fantastic work, Fergal, really inspirational. Looking forward to seeing the rest!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Wow, great progress fergal

Making a new dash with some old mahogany and ash inlay glued onto half inch ply.

20160630_145447_zpsxhdvpgc7.jpg

20160630_154639_zpsoa9yf70q.jpg

There is something very satisfying about sanding old wood and bring it back to it's former glory.

20160704_152855_zpspug50c3a.jpg

I put a rim around it just a few mm proud and then filled it with epoxy resin and let it level out.

20160708_174933_zpsvkmo1ekt.jpg

Now for any of you into the technical side of things :) My GPS from the other boat has a built in engine management system that runs off a NMEA 2000 backbone so with this I can do away with all the gauges and run every thing off this although I might just piggyback off the old gauges and keep them where the fuse panel is as a backup and to help calibrate the new ones, my only problem it that the NMEA runs off a digital signal sort of plug and play with all modern engines these days and my old BMC has analogue switches as digital wasn't even thought of back then :) to get around this I using an AlbaCombi to convert the signal http://www.albacombi.com/ with this I can read everything on the boat and add more if needed like water and waste tank levels.

20160708_144404_zpsm4z6lzwi.jpg

20160708_144421_zpsgxjystus.jpg

20160708_144435_zpsqmufypp7.jpg

fergal.b wrote: »
    I put a rim around it just a few mm proud and then filled it with epoxy resin and let it level out.

20160708_174933_zpsvkmo1ekt.jpg

Beautiful. What do use to get that finish? Just varnish or something else?

VisionaryP wrote: »
    Beautiful. What do use to get that finish? Just varnish or something else?

It's just epoxy resin poured on it levels out on it's own then I use a heat gun to burst any bubbles.

Amazing, I didn't know epoxy resin could give that finish. Just watched this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQrRVUarzPc

I'll try it out next week.

• Advertisement

VisionaryP wrote: »
    Amazing, I didn't know epoxy resin could give that finish. Just watched this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQrRVUarzPc

I'll try it out next week.

If you are thinking of doing a table or something for outdoor use you will have to varnish it as the epoxy has very little UV protection, you can still get a mirror finish on the varnish with a bit of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭insebayguy

Is this the one you refurbished a few years back Fergal? https://www.donedeal.ie/boats-for-sale/sims-super-v/12729013

insebayguy wrote: »
    Is this the one you refurbished a few years back Fergal? https://www.donedeal.ie/boats-for-sale/sims-super-v/12729013

Yep I bought it for the engine and trailer to use on the Malahini I was building at the time, I didn't do any work to the boat just a spit and polish and sold it on without the engine for a few quid more than I paid for it :)

012-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭insebayguy

Haha, RESULT :) Nice when you have a little victory like that once in a while. She looks well in your pic...

insebayguy wrote: »
    Haha, RESULT :) Nice when you have a little victory like that once in a while. She looks well in your pic...

I think he just squirted water over it to try and get the same look :)

Not much to show this week I did a bit of sanding on the hull and removed all the handrails and filled the screw holes as I plan to make wooden rails

Fitted the glass and brass so at least now I can lock the boat up at night.

20160713_170646_zpsgbkkrgid.jpg

20160713_173205_zpsx7e19rnf.jpg

20160713_173237_zps1ov8suhj.jpg

Nothing very interesting to show again this week, I removed all the timber and fittings it was a hell of job as all the screws and bolts were steal and rusted to bits :(
    The start of the sanding it's slow going but I hope to get a few helping hands on Saturday the 6th to get a push on, feel free to drop by and give a hand or some moral support :)

20160720_165431_zpst1jlkiu6.jpg

With the help of few extra bodies I'm hoping to get back cut off something like this.

20160721_154714_zpspm9kiadh.jpg

This weeks news :) fitted a stand pipe and fuel pump for a night heater, to do this O drilled out the hole for the pipe then removed the fuel sender and passed a wire from it to the stand pipe hole then fixed the wire to the top of the piped and dropped it into the tank through the fuel sender hole and pulled it up through the other hole.

20160726_154831_zpspliyhog4.jpg

I also removed the old pull stop cable as it was very stiff maybe because of this.

20160725_153714_zpsim7vtgqb.jpg

It was also brazed in place so it had to be cut off.

20160725_153703_zps7lmrrhpy.jpg

I replaced it with a car central locking actuator that pushes or pulls the fuel shutoff valve and it works a charm.

20160725_170402_zps0gxznetb.jpg

And finally more sanding :roll eyes:

20160729_161550_zpsjqfgv9ap.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

Love the central locking actuator, very slick- cheap, reliable and powerful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Nice work as usual fergal. Isn't it amazing the amount of sanding that goes with any sort of refurb? Even my tiny punt took a lot of rubbing down, it's always great to see the back of it! Enjoying this thread as always, keep up the good work.

Advertisement