Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice for Carrauntoohil

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

duckysauce wrote: »
    even if your dog is on a lead it can cause sheep distress and if they run when preggers it's game over.
    True. Sheep can abort when they're pregnant and 'worried' by a dog, even one on a lead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Wouldn't want to encourage anyone to bring a dog where they're not wanted. But I kinda doubt if a sheep could be 'worried' by a dog on a lead. They might well move away, trot off to a safer distance but they're hardy enough animals and well able to deal with minor threats and the normal vicissitudes of life out on the hill or in the open. The dog owner would want to be pursuing the animal with the dog on the lead to cause any real concern to it. That'd be a different matter entirely.

We'd be surrounded by sheep here and I'd often enough walk our dog through our neighbour's fields, with their full knowledge. The ewes will flock when they see a potential threat and watch from a distance, then carry on grazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

BarryD wrote: »
    Wouldn't want to encourage anyone to bring a dog where they're not wanted. But I kinda doubt if a sheep could be 'worried' by a dog on a lead.
    I'm only going on what I've been told by a couple of hill farmers over the years. As I understand it, if sheep have been involved in any kind of worrying incident from off-lead dogs, this makes them extra skittish and they can bolt away from any dog, on a lead or otherwise, even in the worst case the farmer's own sheepdogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

How close do people get to sheep on Carantouhill? Ive never even seen one on the Hydro route. Off on the horizon when you're up there maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Wouldn't want to encourage anyone to bring a dog where they're not wanted. But I kinda doubt if a sheep could be 'worried' by a dog on a lead. They might well move away, trot off to a safer distance but they're hardy enough animals and well able to deal with minor threats and the normal vicissitudes of life out on the hill or in the open. The dog owner would want to be pursuing the animal with the dog on the lead to cause any real concern to it. That'd be a different matter entirely.

We'd be surrounded by sheep here and I'd often enough walk our dog through our neighbour's fields, with their full knowledge. The ewes will flock when they see a potential threat and watch from a distance, then carry on grazing.

depends on the dog , mine would go ape sh ite when she would see a sheep --constant barking and snarling which did spook the sheep.

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    How close do people get to sheep on Carantouhill? Ive never even seen one on the Hydro route. Off on the horizon when you're up there maybe.

A dog can cover a lot of ground pretty quickly when it wants to. But it's all about perception - I'd dare say that most incidents of dog worrying sheep happen lower down, in fields and the like. It's easier for the hill farmer though to just have a blanket ban rather than arguing over the niceties.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

duckysauce wrote: »
    depends on the dog , mine would go ape sh ite when she would see a sheep --constant barking and snarling which did spook the sheep.

Thats it really. My dog has no interest in other animals, not even dogs. He just loves people and wants to be around people.

When other dogs approach him, his tail goes down between his legs and hides behind me.

Wouldn't want to encourage anyone to bring a dog where they're not wanted. But I kinda doubt if a sheep could be 'worried' by a dog on a lead.

Sheep can abort, and can also tear themselves apart on barb wire trying to get away from dogs. They can't really tell from a bark that the dog is actually very gentle soul and is on a leash.

I see Cronin's Yard have put a note on Facebook today saying their "dogs not allowed" signs were cut down. As they say "not a good way to foster relations between farmers and walkers". Then again, I guess John Cronin, the third or fourth generation of a family that have provided help to walkers for generations and allowed access through their lands, and who himself has an impressive mountaineering record alongside Con Moriarty, might be one of Thargor's "jobsworths making up their own laws".

Very generous of him, such kindness from his lordship, letting Irish people see Irelands highest mountain, what a time to be alive :rolleyes:

Unique places like Carantouhill shouldn't be in private hands, the government should just compulsory purchase it and turn it into a proper national park, livestock + hills= environmental disaster, so they can stick their permission and rules up their asses imo.

Similarly I also refuse to pay at the gate of Powerscourt Waterfall and just ignore the guy if he sees me going in, Ireland's biggest waterfall and some planks can claim it belongs to them and charge to see it just because some ancestor paid tuppence and 2 shillings for it. Same for Lough Tay, Ive walked all around that many times and many other similar places aswell. I just tell them to call the guards if they have a problem, funnily enough they never seem to think its worth sending a squadcar out for, I go where I want, often with my well trained dog with me.

Sheep can abort, and can also tear themselves apart on barb wire trying to get away from dogs. They can't really tell from a bark that the dog is actually very gentle soul and is on a leash.

Come on Conor, you can't seriously be suggesting that someone walking quietly through a field or hillside with a dog on a lead will cause harm to any ewe, pregnant or otherwise.

The problem lies with people who won't put their dogs on a lead, let them run and then can't control them when they do have a go. The easiest solution is just to ban all dogs.

But as a walker, I've done more in my time extricating sheep from difficulties - sometimes they get stuck on their backs, they get caught in a bog or heads trapped in sheep wire/ feeder etc.

Having a dog with you in a field of cattle (bullocks) though is not a good idea whether they are on a lead or not. They will charge over to investigate and there's serious weight involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

If they're worried about keeping sheep safe, then keep them off a mountain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Thargor wrote:
    I go where I want, often with my well trained dog with me.
    If they're worried about keeping sheep safe, then keep them off a mountain

Jesus wept. Sure it will be fine to walk through your garden anytime we want with whatever we want? Free world and all that........:rolleyes:

If I had the tallest mountain in Ireland or some other national monument in my garden it wouldn't shock me to see people walking in it, no.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

By private property I'm guessing people mean commonage as opposed to it being owned by one person?

If I had the tallest mountain in Ireland or some other national monument in my garden it wouldn't shock me to see people walking in it, no.

Tallest mountain, tallest waterfall, tallest mushroom, tallest garden shed... so as long it is the tallest thing it should be free and you can do what you like. You are welcome to walk up the highest mountain, many different routes, you just can't bring your dog. It's not rocket science. I wanted to bring my dog up it and I can't, so when I go up she will stay at home. One of my friends brought her dogs up all the time but the last time she was challenged by several different groups so she leaves them at home now.

FrostyJack wrote: »
    Tallest mountain, tallest waterfall, tallest mushroom, tallest garden shed... so as long it is the tallest thing it should be free and you can do what you like. You are welcome to walk up the highest mountain, many different routes, you just can't bring your dog. It's not rocket science. I wanted to bring my dog up it and I can't, so when I go up she will stay at home. One of my friends brought her dogs up all the time but the last time she was challenged by several different groups so she leaves them at home now.
    Lol, read the rest of my sentence "or some other national monument", or any site of interest really. They can challenge all they like, some people just enjoy forcing their will on others, they get a little thrill out of it.

Lol, read the rest of my sentence "or some other national monument", or any site of interest really. They can challenge all they like, some people just enjoy forcing their will on others, they get a little thrill out of it.

Presume you mean heritage sites as waterfalls and mountains aren't man made i.e. monuments.

Some "heritage" sites require payment as they provide up keep, facilities like toilets and parking etc, so I imagine this requires some money. Though I suppose if the world owes everything, just walk in where ever you want.

Very generous of him, such kindness from his lordship, letting Irish people see Irelands highest mountain, what a time to be alive :rolleyes:

Unique places like Carantouhill shouldn't be in private hands, the government should just compulsory purchase it and turn it into a proper national park, livestock + hills= environmental disaster, so they can stick their permission and rules up their asses imo.

Yeah, property law sucks, tear up the Constitution and put your dog in charge of all decisions!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Until such time as we get proper access laws in this country, we are dependent on the kindness of landowners to allow us access to most upland areas. It's stupid and selfish to ignore the wishes of those landowners who do give permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

How close do people get to sheep on Carantouhill?

I don't know about the Reeks, but in Wicklow sheep can be absolutely anywhere and you can get to within a few meters of them before they move on. There were sheep at the summit of Mullaghcleevaun (second highest mountain in Wicklow) a few days ago

I agree with what others have said here. When we're entering private land we should abide by the few simple and reasonable requests from the owners of that land (like no dogs allowed)

• Advertisement

FrostyJack wrote: »
    Presume you mean heritage sites as waterfalls and mountains aren't man made i.e. monuments.

Some "heritage" sites require payment as they provide up keep, facilities like toilets and parking etc, so I imagine this requires some money. Though I suppose if the world owes everything, just walk in where ever you want.
    Stop being a pedant, you knew what I meant three posts ago, I even spelled it out again for you "any site of interest really..." Get it now?

Stop being a pedant, you knew what I meant three posts ago, I even spelled it out again for you "any site of interest really..." Get it now?

I spelled out what you were saying if you read the post already. I see you ignored the rest of the post about facilities and up keep, doesn't fit your world view. I think I will go to the cinema on the way home and not pay in, sure they can call the cops if they want, I will bring my dog too, she is trained so it won't bother anyone.....*satire*

http://www.wicklowmountainsnationalpark.ie/dogs.html

http://wicklowuplandscouncil.blogspot.com/2012/12/walkers-asked-to-leave-their-dogs-at.html

Where did I mention not paying into the cinema? :confused:

You think right of access to places like Carantouhill and Lough Tay can be confused with going to the cinema without paying? Do you actually think like that or are you just pretending to be thick for the sake of mindless arguing?

Where did I mention not paying into the cinema? :confused:

You think right of access to places like Carantouhill and Lough Tay can be confused with going to the cinema without paying? Do you actually think like that or are you just pretending to be thick for the sake of mindless arguing?

I never said you did. The cinema is a place of interest, someone owns/rents the land, someone has to supply the facilities etc therefore they have the right to charge admission and restrict people going in. If you can't see the parallels, I cannot help you, but I am sure everyone else can see. Rules are there for a reason, I don't fully support them, but I respect them as it is not my land or property. Some access is better than no access.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Mod:

Okay, the fact of the matter is that Carrauntoohil is in private ownership, and whether people agree with it or not, private landowners are allowed to exclude people from their property and they can exclude dogs from their property too.

This discussion has moved off topic now. Can we move back on topic now, please.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Might be heading up around the 20th. Good to refresh some thoughts/advice from this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

Might be going up this weekend. Have no climbing experience although Croagh Patrick was easy enough :cool:

Might be worth investing in a compass, and learning how to use one. Anyone got a link to a map I can print off? I was hoping to follow the crowd up and down?

Jovetic wrote: »
    Might be going up this weekend. Have no climbing experience although Croagh Patrick was easy enough :cool:

Might be worth investing in a compass, and learning how to use one. Anyone got a link to a map I can print off? I was hoping to follow the crowd up and down?

At this time of year, map and compass or GPS should be brought alright, and no point bringing them unless you can use them to some extent. Don't bank on following the crowd, if it's very misty out there you won't see them! Climbing experience not really necessary, many people only go up one mountain, and that is Carrauntoohil. But common sense is needed.

Sure here: http://www.homeatfirst.com/2007/CarrountoohilMap.gif

But if you want a proper map, well go and buy a decent one and support the making of more maps :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Use common sense. I had a guide thankfully who knew the area inside out but if I didn't, the fog/mist was so bad at the top I would have really struggled with finding the right path down.

Read up on the routes and pick the one most suitable. Go equipped, with water/snacks and the right gear - it is cold at the top. If the weather is not clear and if you can't use a compass, don't risk it.

Advertisement