Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Just found a translation of Satoshi Tajiri's Mother review for Famicom Hisshou Hon, placed sometime around the late-80s.

http://yomuka.wordpress.com/2011/12/18/mother-1-review-by-pokemon-creator-satoshi-tajiri/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Etrian Odyssey announced for the US for the 3DS. Kind of unlikely there'll be an EU release.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

EO4 is one of the main reasons I picked up a US 3DS, along with the SMT 3DS games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Same here. Code of Princess out soon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Etrian Odyssey announced for the US for the 3DS. Kind of unlikely there'll be an EU release.

With the 3DS having a proper digital infrastructure I'm hoping American companies will just digitally publish in Europe like with what happened with the psp.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/10/30/dragon-quest-vii-remake-announced-for-nintendo-3ds/

DQVII is getting a 3d remake next year. I wonder will they bother localising it since it's supposedly massive.

I hope it does get released even though it's meant to be a very weak Dragon Quest with massive pacing issues (you don't open the job system until 20-25 hours in and the game is supposedly 100 hours long skipping side quests). A good 3DS make over would be nice as well since it looked ropey on release on the PS1 let alone how it looks now. Nintendo have been pushing Dragon Quest hard in the West so hopefully they'll step up as publisher if Squenix don't.

SMTIV news:

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/11/30/shin-megami-tensei-ivs-battle-system-detailed-new-screens-of-ruined-tokyo/?utm_source=Siliconera+Feed&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+siliconera%2FMkOc+%28Siliconera%29&utm_content=FaceBook

Battle system will have demon negotiation like all the main series games. Press turn just like in Nocturne and Persona 3/4 returns and you can attack demons in the field to get a first strike just like Persona 3/4.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Ni No Kuni demo on US PSN tomorrow, out here in the Wednesday Store update.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/12/02/the-drop-week-of-december-3rd-2012-new-releases/

I'm not so sure about Ni no Kuni. It seems pretty, but that's all level 5 seem to be able to do these days.

Level 5 seem to do a lot better when you are handling some one elses properties. Their best games have been stuff like Dragon Quest and Layton. The problem seems to be Akihiro Hino who just is a terrible writer. While I like their game systems other than their obsession with combining items when Hino is in charge it's usually not great news. The recent anime Gundam AGE which was written by Hino got massive fan backlash recently because the story and writing was so poor. I'm pretty sure Hino is writing this one.

Yeah I was really excited when Matsuno joined level 5. Shame he left without working on anything substantial. Hino's writing is garbage. Dark Chronicle was the only game really where the other parts compensated for it so much that it was still a great game.

I put together my thoughts on Phantasy Star 3 if anyone is interested. I've also wrote about Phantasy Star 1 and 2 some time back:

http://lifein16bit.blogspot.ie/2012/12/phantasy-star-3-generations-of-doom.html

After Sony refused it an English release on the PS1 and PSP Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers is finally coming to 3DS. Only announced for a US release but tbh if you have a PAL 3DS you should expect these things. Hopefully Ghostlight will pick it up for eveyone else.

Official trailer:

Also happy 25th anniversary Phantasy Star!

Wasn't the psp release the first devil summoner rather than this one?

megaten wrote: »
    Wasn't the psp release the first devil summoner rather than this one?

Ah you are right.

Fingers crossed we see Devil Summoner get a western release as well, I have it on the saturn but it being in japanese doesn't help at all :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

FFIV IOS is out today. The launch trailer also confirms an IOS port of FFV, with much more to come. So FFVI is pretty much confirmed as well. One would expect VII, VIII and IX later on.

some RPG bargains on playasia at the moment. I think these are only up for another few hours.

I think these are only up until tonight but you can get Pokemon Black and White 1& 2, Miles Edgeworth investigations and The three Etrian Odyssey games on playasia for very cheap.

I recommend you get all three etrian odyssey games, they are less than 20 euro and I played the first one and it was one of the best games I ever played. Top it off with the price gouging that these games usually suffer from (they usually sell for 80 euro) then these three are a steal.

Also some of these come with free shipping to boot.

Of course I don't get paid until tomorrow and I'm 5 euro short for Pokemon B&W 2 :'(

Just finished off Phantasy Star IV. It really is a wonderful game. It ties the entire series up and finishes it off in the best way possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Although not an RpG does anyone know if this date is correct for Persona Arena

http://www.ie.wowhd.com/games/persona-4-arena-xbox-360/dp/30385921#bc=9d62

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Although not an RpG does anyone know if this date is correct for Persona Arena

http://www.ie.wowhd.com/games/persona-4-arena-xbox-360/dp/30385921#bc=9d62
    I've seen a few different dates come and go. Such a shame they region locked the US version!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Ys I & II Chronicles+ is out on PC tomorrow, heard the Ys games are meant to be a good series, any opinions on these?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/223810/

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Ys I & II Chronicles+ is out on PC tomorrow, heard the Ys games are meant to be a good series, any opinions on these?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/223810/

Haven't played them but the first two are meant to be very different to the rest of the series.

megaten wrote: »
    Haven't played them but the first two are meant to be very different to the rest of the series.

They aren't really. The first one is a great 10 hour RPG, one thing however lets it down however. It's a little bit obtuse where you will need a faq to know how to continue in places. Even XSeed knew this so included a FAQ with the PSP version for the first game. The second game however is a classic. Some of the puzzles can bit a bit difficult to solve but at least they aren't ibtuse like in the first game. It's a wonderful little classic.

I'd definitely recommend them, I had a blast with them and the combat is blisteringly fast paced and fun, it's so fast paced it would give half minute hero a run for it's money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time and Gungnir made it to PSN yesterday.

Is it just me or does €29.99 seem steep for a PSP game?

Advertisement