Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Puroresu (Japanese Wrestling) thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭michael.etc...

flahavaj wrote: »
    Dynamite said the same. In fairness to Misawa, no one would ever be able to equal Sayama, the first Tiger Mask, in that particular role. Once he shed the mask and wrestled under his own name, however, he surpassed anything Sayama ever did. In fact he surpassed pretty much everyone else in history.

The thing is as well, Sayama was a Junior Heavy, and a fricking revelation in the role. Misawa just didn't look as comfortable at that weight, and came into his own when he worked a more heavyweight style. The tag match where Kawada unmasked him had some awesome heat.... the pop for that moment was unreal.
    We should get an intro to Misawa posted on here with his most important bouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

The thing is as well, Sayama was a Junior Heavy, and a fricking revelation in the role. Misawa just didn't look as comfortable at that weight, and came into his own when he worked a more heavyweight style. The tag match where Kawada unmasked him had some awesome heat.... the pop for that moment was unreal.
    Awesome moment.

We should get an intro to Misawa posted on here with his most important bouts.
    Yup I jave plans to do something like this for all the legends over time. But by all means fire away if you get the urge!

I tell you what my favourite All Japan matches from the golden era are? Not the big singles matches, but those amazing 6 man tags between Misawa/Kawada and AN other Vs Jumbo's older generation. Jesus the fire the young guys showed in those matches was absolutely unreal. So much fun to watch the plucky young underdogs show absolutely no respect for the older guys at the top of the card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Maybe we could get Alan4L to come to Boards to give us the lowdown on whats happening in Japan.

Maybe we could get Alan4L to come to Boards to give us the lowdown on whats happening in Japan.

Alan4L is a God, we are unworthy of his presence. That guy is the best poster on the internet, I only have to read one of his posts and it makes me want to spend the day watching wrestling. I don't know where the guy gets the time to watch all the stuff he does, hes an absolute beast and his positivity is a shining light in the internet world of jaded b*tching about how "bad" wrestling is.

Did anyone look at KENTA Vs Low Ki?:(

• Advertisement

Hopefully........?

I'm was already familiar with the match, but i noticed that Low Ki is really dominant in the match. As in, everytime there seems to be the slighest hint of a communication issue, he just blasts KENTA with a kick. Similar stuff to when he was in the tag match at Unforgettable, with Joe against Homicide and Kenta Kobashi. Ouch.

But those two dudes just absolutely click- the chemistry there is amazing, and they really pull off some slick sequences. To me, this is the sort of advancement on the early 80's Junior Heavyweight stuff, that the WWE should be pushing a little more.

Hopefully........?

I'm was already familiar with the match, but i noticed that Low Ki is really dominant in the match. As in, everytime there seems to be the slighest hint of a communication issue, he just blasts KENTA with a kick. Similar stuff to when he was in the tag match at Unforgettable, with Joe against Homicide and Kenta Kobashi. Ouch.

But those two dudes just absolutely click- the chemistry there is amazing, and they really pull off some slick sequences. To me, this is the sort of advancement on the early 80's Junior Heavyweight stuff, that the WWE should be pushing a little more.
    I think there are so many little things in that match that are really great. Right from the opening lock up when Ki goes for the arm bar over the ropes and jumps to the floor landing on his feet, to the usual great finishing sequance. Just a great stiff, athletic contest, that combines well exectuted spots with realistic looking wrestling and a match you could watch over and over.

Also do you think they'll let Ki work nice and stiff if/when hes called up to the main roster? I remember after he did that try out on Metal or Velocity (can't remember which) they didn't sign him as they thought he worked "too stiff."

Also do you think they'll let Ki work nice and stiff if/when hes called up to the main roster? I remember after he did that try out on Metal or Velocity (can't remember which) they didn't sign him as they thought he worked "too stiff."

Was that the one against Essa Rios? GREAT MATCH. I don't think they will to be honest, and i think the only time you'll really get to see that is if he's up against someone who was already familiar with him (Punk/Bourne/Kendrick), or who goes for that style themselves (Regal/Finlay etc...). Worse still, they'll probably condense his stuff down into a couple of innovative looking spots, and make everything else completely generic. But the matches i've seen him in down in FCW look great, so who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Jolt2007

Was a pretty good match, just short of being great but I already forget why I think that. I did enjoy the Low Ki/TJ Wilson FCW match I saw just before I watched this a bit more, and if they let Ki work like he did in that he'll be just fine, but that's a big if.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I absolutely LOVE this match. Must have watched it more than any other match I reckon. When I saw it first, I had never seen either of these guys before. Afterwards I made it my business to see as much as possible of both.

Seriously, anyone who is reading this thread and not looking at the videos, watch this match, it is a joy to behold.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Yup. Watched it twice.

I think it was a great bout. Very athletic. Even though the match had its share of high spots, they still looked like they were actually trying to hurt each other, which isn't easy to do.

Starting with the good points: KENTA's heelish taunting kicks made me smile. Especially the one following the slingshot. I thought it was a great incorporation of classic heelishness (may not be a real world) in the modern style

Low Ki's bodyscissors. After showing how strong his legs are with his kicks, it made it believable as move that could do some damage. Actually, that whole part when Ki worked on the torso was great.

The butterfly suplex/bridge/armbar. Don't see stuff like that in Sports Entertainment.

The sense of escalation in the match. Like, going from the Falcon Arrow to the Super Falcon Arrow. It was a nice continuation.

The bad: I thought the armbar spot at the start of the match was wasted. It was great from a psycology point of view, as it showed Ki wasn't intimidated by the champ and wasn't going to play nice. But it would have been better if Ki had then gone on to target the arm. Instead, Low Ki had his arm targeted be KENTA.

The slaps. One 'slap off' in a match is more than enough.

I think the match went on 2 minutes too long. The crowd were red hot at one stage. They were exhausted when the finish did come.

Good to se people watching and showing an interest, I'd urge others to do the same, its a fantastic match and would be a real eye opener to a lot of people jaded on mainstream wrestling.

Tricity: Now that you say it, you're right that they should have played into the armbar attempt that Ki made at the start, its like he went into the match with a very specific plan and then abandoned the idea 30 seconds in. Theres nothing I find more rewarding when I'm watching wrestling than someone CONSISTENTLY working a bodypart and his opponent going along with it and selling it correctly and working the story into the finish of the match. Its one of the reasons I'm marking so hard for Arn Anderson at the moment.

As for the slaps, they're VERY commonplace in Puro, especially when you have a plucky underdog trying to gai the respect of a veteran. I enjoy them to be honest, but then again, I like uber stiff work anyway.

Thanks for aking the time to reply man, makes putting the match up worhwhile to see someone enjoying it.

Oh and Gimmick, I knew well you'd enjoy my first choice bai.

Everyone feel free to suggest the next match to be put up. I'm thinking some 94/95 new Japan juniors matches, or possibly some Dragon Gate, which will blow the minds of those not familiar with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭The Cannibal

For KENTA matches in ROH, I fell in love with his match with Davey Richards this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

For KENTA matches in ROH, I fell in love with his match with Davey Richards this year.

That match would have been an absolute masterpiece if they didn't botch the finish twice. That brought it down to only awesome.

Not watched that match yet. The second I saw it announced I had it marked as a huge match.

For people looking for 90s japanese matches and are unsure of whether you would liek the styles and so on, I would also say look out for a fella called Tsuyoshi Kikuchi, a super quick sympathetic babyface. Any match I have seen with him involved is just brilliant, most notably

The crowd here are wild. Incredible match

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I did just their. Others have described its goodness in much more articulate terms than me though. :pac:
    I do hope Low Ki gets called up but he has been injured so long, I would not be surprised if Vince decided to release him to cut costs. :(

gimmick wrote: »
    Not watched that match yet. The second I saw it announced I had it marked as a huge match.

For people looking for 90s japanese matches and are unsure of whether you would liek the styles and so on, I would also say look out for a fella called Tsuyoshi Kikuchi, a super quick sympathetic babyface. Any match I have seen with him involved is just brilliant, most notably

The crowd here are wild. Incredible match
    Aw, man I absolutely adore that match, I'd have it in my top 10 of all time easily. The bauld Alan4L calls it the greatest ever and its easy to see why. Are the Can Ams the most underrated team ever? I'd say so. Easily Kikuchi's finest hour and tyhe young Kobashi is supreme as ever. You're right about the crowd in Sendai, that night the were as un-Japanese as you can get.

As for Davey/KENTA, thats one I've on the back burner for a rainy day. When a match like that gets hyped beyond recognition, I always give it a few months to let the dust settle, as I hate going into a match with expectations the match couldn't possibly keep. Davey is f*cking on fire this year though.

I haven't watched this one yet either. I'm up to Steel City Clash, so I should get to Supercard of Honor soon. Looking forward to it. Davey's fairly taken alot of Japanese influence, and used it wisely to improve his own stuff.

That AJPW bout is absolutely fantastic. If i remember right, i think it might be Fin Martin's (editor of Powerlam) favourite match ever.
    Kikuchi's fire is just so exciting- he was a great partner to Kobashi, and actually made Kobashi seem reserved (for me Kobashi's always been the more emotional, intense in almost all partnerships). That said, this one was all Kobashi. The sequence towards the end leading to the Double Arm DDT is unreal.

OK time to bump this thread and time for the second of our matches in our look into the wonderful world of Puro. I've gone for A Hulk Hogan match from New japan pro Wrestling, because:

1) I want fans not familiar with Japanese wrestling to look at this and the curiousity factor of seeing hogan work the japanese style may attract them
    2) It proves Hogan could actually work when he had to (See 3.27 into part 3 where he his a motherf*cking ENZIGUIRI!!!)
    3) It introdues one of the legends of Puro, the Great Muta. Hes a bit more accessible to non-Puro fans because hes probably the most "Sports Entertainment friendly" Puro star. He was as much about the gimmick as the wrestling and people will remember him from JCP and WCW. One of the features of the gimmick is no selling, just be warned, so him and Hogan have more than one similarity.;)

I'll write up more about Muta et al tomorrow, I'm tired.
    Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Never seen Hogan work in Japan before. That was an eye opener. Not a great match by any means, but it was miles from any of the other WWE/WCW Hogan stuff I have seen.

Good post.

• Advertisement

Well, did anyone watch the Hulkster work his socks off?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭The Cannibal

I was always a fan of Hulk Hogan Vs Stan Hansen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvYrS3w-tro
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vPhBvW_JVs&feature=related

Hansen is not Japanese but probably the most succesful foreign wrestler to make his career there.

I remember this being the first time I saw anything from Japan as it was included on a Hulkamania Coliseum VHS I had when I was a kid. I remember thinking how much of a fight it was compared to his WWF stuff.

Good lad cannibal, we must nurture this thread so it blossoms and grows into something quite wonderful.

I'm a hopeless mark for Hansen. Greatest ever gaijin without a doubt. I love the way he'd storm to the ring through the audience swinging his bullrope and throwing little Japanese people out of his way. The bout with Vader from New Japan is ridiculously stiff, for anyone that hasn't seen or heard of it, he punches Vader so hard in the face that his eyeball pops out. Vader being the man that he is just pushes it back in and resumes the fight. Westlers today aren't real men at all.

I have only recently learned of Hansens greatness. There are a few versus Kobashi which are just outstanding and one I watched a few weeks ago Vs Steve Williams which is a beaut as well.

Ill watch that Hogan one when I get home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭ScumdogV2

Westlers today aren't real men at all.

You want a real man? Two words: Shinya Hashimoto.

The closest way I can describe him is being the Samoa Joe of his generation (that's being very generous to Joe, Hashimoto sh*ts all over him in every way conceivable). A tad overweight but he looked and wrestled like the meanest motherf**ker on the planet.

As soon as he entered the ring, it was obvious his physique was not to be questioned. He had the speed and stamina of many a man half his age, and the reaction to his fiery comebacks had to be seen to be believed.

He sadly died in 2005.

Top ten moves of Shinya Hashimoto: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azyXSNs4N_o

Great Muta VS Shinya Hashimoto (part 1): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7hdDIF1WGQ

Great Muta VS Shinya Hashimoto (part 2): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXzmoq4caRE&feature=related

A boy scumdog, one of the few men I've heard to appreciate the greatness that is Hashi! Criminally underrated as you said, his connection with the audience was second to none. People bang on more about Mutoh and Chono, but Hashi was the best of the three musketeers IMO.

Finally burnt NJPW Divergence to DVD after skipping through it on the laptop.

Match listings:

NJPW "DIVERGENCE", 05.05.2009
    Tokyo Korakuen Hall
    2,005 Fans - Super No Vacancy

1. Jado vs. Nobou Yoshihashi

2. Ryusuke Taguchi & Prince Devitt vs.
    Milano Connection A.T. & Taichi

3. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Jushin Thunder Liger & AKIRA vs.
    Yuji Nagata, Super Strong Machine & Mitsuhide Hirasawa

4. Manabu Nakanishi, Takao Omori & Tiger Mask vs.
    Giant Bernard, Karl Anderson & Black Tiger

5. Togi Makabe, Wataru Inoue & Tomoaki Honma vs.
    Shinsuke Nakamura, Toru Yano & Tomohiro Ishii

6. Special Tag Match - NJPW vs. NOAH Battle Intentions:
    Hirooki Goto & Kazuchika Okada vs. Takashi Sugiura & Atsushi Aoki

7. Special Tag Match - NJPW vs. NOAH & DDT Battle Intentions:
    Hiroshi Tanahashi & Koji Kanemoto vs.
    Takeshi Morishima & Kota Ibushi

I havnt been keeping up with my pouresu but who is this . This video alone is very entertaining . Best Diva Ever !! Again i tip her to be in the WWE .

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/80699807/

I havnt been keeping up with my pouresu but who is this . This video alone is very entertaining . Best Diva Ever !! Again i tip her to be in the WWE .

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/80699807/

Ahhh, I can't remember her name but I think she was part of that wacky HUSTLE promotion.

• Advertisement

ScumdogV2 wrote: »
    Ahhh, I can't remember her name but I think she was part of that wacky HUSTLE promotion.

Inrin Sama or something? HUSTLE is beyond bizarre.

Advertisement