Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to DJing or production? Need help or advice? Post here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 mango1888

cheers bud

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Hi, looking to start dj'ing need a bit of advice though

Want to start dj-ing for house parties etc so would be playing chart, indie, electro, and dance. Have an ipod full of music so would like to use that, what equipment would be best for me starting off?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

dmcg90 wrote: »

Want to start dj-ing for house parties etc so would be playing chart, indie, electro, and dance. Have an ipod full of music so would like to use that, what equipment would be best for me starting off?

Ipod's are no use for DJing as you have no way to manipulate the track.

Have you got a laptop? If so download some software such as Tracktor to try as a Demo. If you still want to get into it after playing around buy a software package with a external soundcard and some sort of Mixer.

Ipod's are no use for DJing as you have no way to manipulate the track.

Have you got a laptop? If so download some software such as Tracktor to try as a Demo. If you still want to get into it after playing around buy a software package with a external soundcard and some sort of Mixer.

I've already tried Virtual DJ and want to get into it further, so wheres best to buy the external soundcard and mixer?

• Advertisement

http://images7.thomann.de/pics/expert/0135_rane_serato.jpg

Think this would be the best set up for me, what equipment would you recommend? Whats cheapest

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭franklyshocked

compare the prices at www.dv247.com as well. based in the UK so the sterling prices is really helping. good alternative to thomann

http://images7.thomann.de/pics/expert/0135_rane_serato.jpg

Think this would be the best set up for me, what equipment would you recommend? Whats cheapest
    I have something similar but I use Torq software which in my opinion is better and half the price of serato.
    If your buying turntables, Buy Technics you can fing them second hand on adverts.ie or buyandsell.ie .
    If cdj's Pioneer cdj's are the best IMO I have a Pioneer cdj-400 and it is excellent but expensive.

Have a look and the M-Audio xponent all you have to do is plug it into a laptop. Zascar on this forum uses one.

Have a look and the M-Audio xponent all you have to do is plug it into a laptop. Zascar on this forum uses one.

Yeah that looks like the one for me, is there any other brands of this? Something entry-level and cheap (sub 150)

Yeah that looks like the one for me, is there any other brands of this? Something entry-level and cheap (sub 150)

Look on youtube for the Vestax VCI range there is a 100 and a 300 not sure of the prices tough.
    Search for "ean golden"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Vestax VCI 100 SE (Special Edition - the black one) is about the same price as the M-Audio Torq Xponent. Got the Vestax last month, really like it - hooks up brilliantly with Traktor (It comes with the LE version, haven't used it as I had the Pro one already).

You'll need an external sound card for headphones, unlike the M-Audio which has it builtin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 dianababyddori

Heya. just looking for abit of advice..
    Ive also wanted ta get into djing but never got into it cos ive no experience what so ever with decks..
    always wanted to do course or something cos always wanted to learn but was just abit embarresed applying cause everyone seems to have experience and me been a stupid girl dont have a clue. haha
    any help would be brill;)

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭happy_acid_face

First things first, djing is an expensive hobby but if you are willing to part with the cash it can be some of the best fun you can have.

There are courses available in Dublin (see below) but to be honest I think it would be an awful lot cheaper to have a look at this guy first

http://www.djtutor.com/ellaskins/index.php

He basically thought me the ropes of djing when I started out. Just flick through the catagories on the top left under his screen name Ellaskins. You can learn the basics at home then when you feel like you need to expand your knowledge you can do a course like this.

http://www.soundtraining.com/coursedetail.php?id=21

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Your best bet is to talk to someone you know who has the equipment and get them to show you the basics...

There's a chap who posts on here who runs regular DJ clinics where a bunch of heads all gather in his gaff with records and take it in turns to do a short mix and then discuss it, once you have the basics sorted that's a really good way to get feedback and advice from others...

Another tip is to make sure you buy a wide selection of records when you're starting out; every single genre of dance music demands different things from a dj, and the more of them you tackle the more you learn about the way you like to mix and the way you like to use the equipment - i'd never have been so confident with EQ sweeps if i hadn't borrowed a stack of techno records off a mate years ago, nor would i have felt so confident about slip-cueing and quick mixing if i hadn't had an interest in hip hop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭superglue

Hi there,

If you want to DJ using just an iPod it might be worth your while checking out the Numark IDJ2. I don't know much about this product but could be worth a google.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

hi guys,
    i've been looking for a mashup of push - strange world vs cece peniston - finally. i had this years ago (cant remember but
    probably mp3) and there may have been a 3rd tune in there too. it's a long-shot but where could i track this down?

superglue wrote: »
    Hi there,

If you want to DJ using just an iPod it might be worth your while checking out the Numark IDJ2. I don't know much about this product but could be worth a google.
    Don't bother its only a Fisher Price toy! Faders on that are useless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭zainabc

i really wanting to get into djing even in my bedroom 4 now em just want simple twin cd decks and mixer how much would it cost and wats the diffrnce between al of them

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Hagakure_irl

Right lads need a bit of helping deciding between Live and Logic.

From what I've read and what I need its right done the centre between the 2. However as I'll be getting Traktor Scratch Pro as well, I won't be using Live for DJing, this is simply for music production, what do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Right lads need a bit of helping deciding between Live and Logic.

From what I've read and what I need its right done the centre between the 2. However as I'll be getting Traktor Scratch Pro as well, I won't be using Live for DJing, this is simply for music production, what do you think?

definitely logic

• Advertisement

zainabc wrote: »
    i really wanting to get into djing even in my bedroom 4 now em just want simple twin cd decks and mixer how much would it cost and wats the diffrnce between al of them

Mate read this thread, also check http://www.thomann.de

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Finally, Lethal is happy :) And surprised.

I have been having problems with noise on my external soundcard. Random and sometimes regular cracks and pops. Couldnt for the life of me find the source, untill reading a thread today on techsupportforums.

If you have a Dell laptop, and are experiencing cracks an pops, turn off your Wi-Fi(Fn+F2), see if that solves it.

Just a tip to remember for troubleshooting with new hardware. I really wouldnt have guessed it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Mull3T

Force Of Gravity (Orjan Nilsen Remix)

get you going.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo

Hey guys

If i'm using burned CD's on CD-Js do i ahve to convert the files to wav or can I use MP3. Someone told me CD-Js wont play burned cd's that are Mp3?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

CDj 1000 mk 3's will play MP3's, cdj mk2 and below will only play audio cd's so be sure to burn them as audio cds

• Registered Users Posts: 45 woozle

Hi-i thought my musical knowledge was quite good, but i went into a record shop and only knew the Kitsune label. I love all their stuff and those on their label, i like Digitalism, the Bugged out cds, Justice, old Chemical bro's, old Prodigy-but like the new one too, and just discovered Evil Nine. any recommendations for music that is similar to these styles that i might like? i know asking is cheating, but i'm hitting all sources in the quest to expand my record collection past Kitsune

Hi-i thought my musical knowledge was quite good, but i went into a record shop and only knew the Kitsune label. I love all their stuff and those on their label, i like Digitalism, the Bugged out cds, Justice, old Chemical bro's, old Prodigy-but like the new one too, and just discovered Evil Nine. any recommendations for music that is similar to these styles that i might like? i know asking is cheating, but i'm hitting all sources in the quest to expand my record collection past Kitsune

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭acman

woozle wrote: »

I have always liked Kitsune as well, they have supported some good artists over the years and always acted as a good music label should: A **** Music Filter :D

Some of my fav labels at the moment would be:

Get Physical

DIM MAK Records

Rekids

Cocoon Recordings

Cheers Acman-i'll check them out! -yeah Kitsune have some wicked stuff, you know you cant' go wrong buying a record under that label-but i need to take a few risks and spread my musical wings!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 35 langer123

Hi All

I'm considering purchasing a DJ controller than I can hook my laptop and ipods up to.
    The Vestax VCI-300 looks fairly good from what I can see and have been told by a mate. Is this easy enought to get to grips with for a beginner i.e. the software bundled with it at this link (Rane):
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/vestax_vci300.htm?sid=606369d9c1d262ee7b7abb96dc1133b0

http://ci.vestax.com/en/products/vci300_03.html

Also, and ideas on a sound system to hook up to it? I dont need anything too powerfull. Was looking at the following:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=340414

All thoughts welcome.

Advertisement