Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

First ever mustard experience

• 24-05-2004 4:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

ok guys and gals, what was your first ever mustard experience?

mine was in my next door neighbours house (they always were classier than us) and my friends mam made me a ham sandwich. she asked me did i want mustard and not wanting to be impolite, i said yes.....and thus my love affair with mustard began! it was such an amazing taste....like a party in my mouth! :D

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I started putting the english stuff on my ham after watching my grandfather have it with any cold meats and saladas as a child. Took me a while to get to like the taste of it I must admit!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

ok.... this is getting warped.....

mine was when i was about 6/7 watched my dad put it on a burger, tried it, then threw up....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

my first ever memorable mustard experience, the one that changed my life forever and which made me look at mustard in a whole new light was when I went to visit my sister in france and she produced a jar of Dijon to compliment the meal she was serving us, sex for your taste buds, I was never the same person again

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Again with the plain white bread (heel of the loaf) and plain mustard on it.

I was a strange child!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

buttered white bread, slices of white cheddar and colman's mustard.

That's what I insisted on having for lunch for an extensive period of Junior infants and 1st class, with brief forays into bread and ketchup sandwiches.

Haven't had one in a while.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Originally posted by ecksor
    I started putting the english stuff on my ham after watching my grandfather have it with any cold meats and saladas as a child.

Exact same thing happened to me..

At Christmas, my grand parents would always come out to the house for dinner
    either on christmas day or stephens day and the usual condiments would be laid
    out on the table and then this little yellow jar of mustard..

Always caught my eye but never tried it.. until one day my grandfather was having
    a ham sandwich later that evening and the mustard was put on it, i advertantly
    picked it up, bit into it and got this really weird tingling sensation on my tongue..
    Loved the taste and the rest is history... :D

Have to say that the Dijon and irish whisky whole grain mustard are my favs tho..

Nyom Nyom :p

lakeshore.gif

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

mine was on holidays when i had it on a ham sambo but found out that i had being eating it for years on burgers and what not:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

my first experience of mustard was when i was about 8 or 9 and my mother used to have a jar of Colemans Mustard as a way of making me behave. if i did something wrong then i would be force fed mustard. put me off the stuff for many a year but i have since rekindled my love affair with the lovely mustard

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    my first experience of mustard was when i was about 8 or 9 and my mother used to have a jar of Colemans Mustard as a way of making me behave. if i did something wrong then i would be force fed mustard. put me off the stuff for many a year but i have since rekindled my love affair with the lovely mustard

so its a kind of fetish now is it???

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by ToxicPaddy
    so its a kind of fetish now is it???

:D

a secksy fetish

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

I remeber doing the shopping when i was about 4 and really liked the bottle (y'knwo the sqeezy yellow french mustard bottles prolly dunnes stores best imitation) and persuaded my dad to buy it for me.........bet he didnt count on me having it gone 15 mins later ............................................STRAIGHT !!

Although i'v kinda become partial to the hotter stuff in recent years, guess taste in mustard must mature like a taste in women (with mustard:P ).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

my first time...
    well I was about 5 or 6 and I remember my mom giving me a hotdog with mustard on it, I didnt like the smell of it but she made me try it and when i spit it out I discovered the first food or condiment I had ever not liked and it was mustard...ever since I cant stand the stuff.

I have been given burgers with the stuff on it since and I cant even eat it after wiping the stuff off, I have to throw the whole burger away because it has been ruined by the big bad "mustard".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I saw a strange jar in the cupboard when over at my aunts and they were making prawn cocktails or something. I wondered what it tasted like, so I opened it, dipped in a finger, and bit the bullet, as it were.

I'd never before experienced my eyeballs perspiring.

I was hooked soon after...

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭turnback

I had a hotdog in america when I was 13 (late developper) at a baseball match and the guy said do you want mustard and I couldnt say no cos there was always this yellow crap on them in the ads so I said yes i will and then i ate it and it was nice and then i started using mustard regularly and mayonaisse and even gherkins and things like that. And pickle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Mine was an accidental swapping of ham sandwiches with my mum at Christmas about six years ago. I got fierce worried 'cos I thought the ham was gone off. 'Cept it was nice.:dunno:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Originally posted by fozzle
    Mine was an accidental swapping of ham sandwiches with my mum at Christmas about six years ago. I got fierce worried 'cos I thought the ham was gone off. 'Cept it was nice.:dunno:

Sounds like that pot noodle ad. "It feels so wrong and yet it feels so right!"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

*snigger*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭gigglingrat

I've never had mustard. Its always seems kinda....yellow. Any advice on where to begin?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Any of the mustard recipies on this forum would be ideal as they'd all be complimented by another food stuff.

Perhaps a whole grain mustard?

There is huge variety out there ranging from the very mild to the er... not so mild.

Each country seems to have it's own unique style/variety. Well worth experimenting with until you find your favourite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

My first time was when I was making hot dogs, I felt there was something lacking so I went to the cupboard and poured an entire box of colmans mustard powder on the sausauge....memories.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

i was oh so young, and my uncle was having mustard. curious as an ill-fated cat, i asked what it was.
    "oh sure, try some..."
    then gives me a gigantic, heaped tablespoonful of it.
    my how i kicked...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭gigglingrat

yup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

you know when you're walking through a super market and they've got free samples of this and that, well I can never resist free stuff and well, lets just sasy I got hooked and it was down hill from there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LovelyTom

getting a spoonful in the eye... stung but when i put it in my mouth...it was...simply....okay-ish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ivialianna

I'm from America, and mustard is kind of a fact of life there.... French's Mustard gets put on everything, hot dogs, hamburgers, sandwiches... you have hog dogs quite often living in America, and mustard just goes with hot dogs. I've never really thought about it, and never thought I would ever stumble on a forum about mustard... Do people really have mustard fetishes?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

I'm from America, and mustard is kind of a fact of life there.... French's Mustard gets put on everything, hot dogs, hamburgers, sandwiches... you have hog dogs quite often living in America, and mustard just goes with hot dogs.
    Do people really have mustard fetishes?

I think the statement answers the question ..

It does appear some cases are more severe than others .. sometimes whole populations have been affected, but can be very much in denial about how much they "love" the seed, It appears the US may be affected in this way -

Welcome to the first step in recognising your true life path ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

One Christmas I asked my dads friend ''What does musturd taste like'' He said ''Take a spoon full'' dancor being smart said no and just tried a small scrape on his ham, The Musturd-Sandwich affair began.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Ivialianna wrote: »
    I'm from America, and mustard is kind of a fact of life there.... French's Mustard gets put on everything, hot dogs, hamburgers, sandwiches... you have hog dogs quite often living in America, and mustard just goes with hot dogs. I've never really thought about it, and never thought I would ever stumble on a forum about mustard... Do people really have mustard fetishes?:confused:
    I don't like frenchs mustard. It's too runny.

Anyway, on topic, my first taste was after a nightclub one night.

I was stranded in some hole in Meath and there was one of those vans which sell chips, hot dogs and burgers.
    I bought a hot dog because that was all they had left and the guy put mustard on it.
    The meat was rancid, but the mustard out-did itself and made the thing edible.

These days it's mustard only on take-away burgers. To hell with ketchup and mayonaisse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Cant remember my first mustard experience but I'llbet my brother will never forget his.

He was 4 or 5 and I told him that the Colemans Finest English on the dinner table was a jar of peanut butter and that he should get a spoonful of the stuff for hismelf before everyone ate some.

15 seconds later he was tearing around the house, hands waving in the air screaming from the burn.

Possibly the funniest thing I have ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

I first encountered mustard out working on a farm one day. I was starving with the hunger and the silage just kept coming and coming. I was weak with the hunger and my eyes popped out of my head when i saw the owner coming with a plate of sandwiches. Brown bread with ham, lovely!, but whats this yellow stuff? Ahh mustard! I hate that stuff :eek: . But the hunger got the better of me and i dug in. Nicest sandwiches ever! Nowadays would'nt even considir a ham sandwich with out mustard. Good old Colmans. :)

Advertisement