Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jack Charlton has died

15678911»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

cml387 wrote: »
    Lovely tribute by David Squires in today's Guardian

Love this bit. :pac:

279-A281-D-D1-B9-4802-A626-204-C692483-B8.jpg?dl=1

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭batman75

With all due respect to Big Jack I think the team was far better than the style he made them play. You can judge an international squad by the clubs they played for. Between 1986-1990 we had the following at our disposal

O'Leary, Quinn (Arsenal), Moran, McGrath, Stapleton (Manchester United), Beglin, Lawrenson, Whelan, Aldridge, Staunton, Houghton (Liverpool), Hughton, Galvin (Tottenham), Sheedy (Everton), Bonner, McCarthy, Morris (Celtic) Brady (West Ham) Townsend (Norwich) Cascarino (Aston Villa)

It was an incredibly strong squad of players and he made us play like Wimbledon. Don't get me wrong as a kid I loved it. Loved seeing our little nation go toe to toe with the big guys. Despite getting to the two consecutive tournaments I would still feel a sense of an opportunity squandered when you consider the talent we had.

N.B. I know we lost Lawrenson and Beglin to injury prematurely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭veryangryman

What's the craic with Bobby Charlton?

The brotherly tributes have come from Tommy his other brother alone.

Is Bobby still holding a grudge or is he himself not too well at the moment. Alot of hush hush on this is making me think the latter as nobody mentioned jacks Alzheimer's until after the passing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

batman75 wrote: »
    With all due respect to Big Jack I think the team was far better than the style he made them play. You can judge an international squad by the clubs they played for. Between 1986-1990 we had the following at our disposal

O'Leary, Quinn (Arsenal), Moran, McGrath, Stapleton (Manchester United), Beglin, Lawrenson, Whelan, Aldridge, Staunton, Houghton (Liverpool), Hughton, Galvin (Tottenham), Sheedy (Everton), Bonner, McCarthy, Morris (Celtic) Brady (West Ham) Townsend (Norwich) Cascarino (Aston Villa)

It was an incredibly strong squad of players and he made us play like Wimbledon. Don't get me wrong as a kid I loved it. Loved seeing our little nation go toe to toe with the big guys. Despite getting to the two consecutive tournaments I would still feel a sense of an opportunity squandered when you consider the talent we had.

I put my hands up and say I'm not a soccer fan. And I was only a child when jack was in charge. That said, brilliant memories.

I've heard your argument about we should have done better countless times in recent days. In particular I heard John Giles and Dunphy get quite animated about it again (same argument they seem to have about every Irish manager in fairness but that aside).

I don't know enough to comment either way but from the outside looking in as such, we qualified for three tournaments, got to the last 8 of the WC, beat some huge names in world football and I think were ranked 5th(?) at one stage in the rankings. What exactly was the aspiration as regards doing better? How much better could we have done?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

We could have shook them up, SeaFields, we could have shook them up. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Earthhorse wrote: »
    We could have shook them up, SeaFields, we could have shook them up. :(

I thought we did! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Despite getting to the two consecutive tournaments I would still feel a sense of an opportunity squandered when you consider the talent we had.
    In fairness, other countries had good players too. You can't just look at our squad in isolation.

Bonner and Morris were at Celtic - who were knocked out in the first round of the Cup Winners' Cup in 1989/90. Compare that to Lung, Hagi, Balint and Rotariu playing in the 1989 European Cup Final.

Celtic were more competitive then than now overall - but then so were lots of teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭partyguinness

It is fair to say it was not pretty football. It was effective. That is what drove Dunphy around the bend.

Ireland always had a very good core of top players and played 'nice' football but got nowhere. A whole series of hard luck stories. I suppose it was important psychologically to break through that mental barrier and to start winning (or not losing) and qualification would follow.

To be fair:

1. Lawrenson and Beglin never played past 1987 due to injury. Lawrenson had to retire at 30 and Beglin while he did make a brief comeback for Leeds was finished as a player at 27/28 after a leg break (you do mention that)

2. Brady missed Euro 88 due to suspension and ended up injured anyway. He was well past it by the time 1990 came around.
    3. Stapleton- started Euro 88 games but was past it by 1990. Even Charlton said he should not have brought him to the WC90. He had left ManU several years before and had turned into a journeyman- was playing old Division 2 with Blackburn.
    4. Hughton and Galvin- Galvin never made it past Euro 88 and Hugtton was the wrong side of 30 by 1990 and lost his pace to Staunton

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

What's the craic with Bobby Charlton?

The brotherly tributes have come from Tommy his other brother alone.

Is Bobby still holding a grudge or is he himself not too well at the moment. Alot of hush hush on this is making me think the latter as nobody mentioned jacks Alzheimer's until after the passing

Well why does everything have to be in public? Why would they announce that Jack had dementia?
    Why does Bobby have to release a public tribute?

Not all brothers have great relationships.

None of our business anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭batman75

SeaFields wrote: »
    I put my hands up and say I'm not a soccer fan. And I was only a child when jack was in charge. That said, brilliant memories.

I've heard your argument about we should have done better countless times in recent days. In particular I heard John Giles and Dunphy get quite animated about it again (same argument they seem to have about every Irish manager in fairness but that aside).

I don't know enough to comment either way but from the outside looking in as such, we qualified for three tournaments, got to the last 8 of the WC, beat some huge names in world football and I think were ranked 5th(?) at one stage in the rankings. What exactly was the aspiration as regards doing better? How much better could we have done?

"It ain't what you do it's the way that you do it, that's what gets results" as the song says and Jack would say the means were justified by the ends.

We had the players to play a much more attractive brand of football than merely reincarnate Wimbledon FC on the international stage. Nobody is cribbing about what Jack achieved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Leeds United most capped player.

" It's a joy to us all, when Big Jack has the ball,to know, that he is on our side"- from the Leeds united F.A. cup song 1972 (the centenary final).

A week to the day that Jack left us, Leeds United have returned to the top flight.

Welcome back Leeds- "Now go and compete".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    Leeds United most capped player.

" It's a joy to us all, when Big Jack has the ball,to know, that he is on our side"- from the Leeds united F.A. cup song 1972 (the centenary final).

A week to the day that Jack left us, Leeds United have returned to the top flight.

Welcome back Leeds- "Now go and compete".
    Delighted they got there, Bielsa is a football genius. A club with a great tradition

• Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Dont like the look of yer man in the glasses lurking in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

John Delaney's father was involved in extensive ticket touting schemes during that period so it doesn't surprise me that John himself would have premium tickets and access to the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Watching that interview with Jimmy Magee and Jack makes me a bit sentimental for those days. It just seemed more chilled out and easy going than the equivalent of today.
    Jimmy was just having good humoured chat with jack rather than the poo faced overly analytical approach taken now by sports broadcasters. Also the interview took place at the side of the pitch with fans mingled around with no security, of course this was a time people didn't have compulsions to act like jackasses in the presence of "celebs" or camera's.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭chrisd2019

Watching that interview with Jimmy Magee and Jack makes me a bit sentimental for those days. It just seemed more chilled out and easy going than the equivalent of today.
    Jimmy was just having good humoured chat with jack rather than the poo faced overly analytical approach taken now by sports broadcasters. Also the interview took place at the side of the pitch with fans mingled around with no security, of course this was a time people didn't have compulsions to act like jackasses in the presence of "celebs" or camera's.

No such thing as a sefie either.

I recall being in Japan in 2002, mingling with the players in the hotel lobby before they were bussed to the training ground. I believe such interactions were positive for the players as it gave them a sense of perspective that is lost when they are cocooned for long periods.

Advertisement