Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Marathon 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

It won't happen this way.
    They will cave to Garmin/Strava files when they realise the lack of interest and number of complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭The Davestator

First World Problems!
    :rolleyes:

If you dont want to carry your 165 gram phone, then don't do it!

Maybe their app will crash, maybe they will cave to strava but its better than the nothing that was an option a couple of days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

First World Problems!
    :rolleyes:

If you dont want to carry your 165 gram phone, then don't do it!

Maybe their app will crash, maybe they will cave to strava but its better than the nothing that was an option a couple of days ago.

Nothing has changed bar giving someone €20 for a medal and beanie hat if you run 26 miles in a day with your phone.

Lets not pretend the marathon is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭jlang

I signed up because I wouldn't want to see Marathon 2020 hats going around town and not have taken the chance to have my own. I'd happily donate any extra money to charity if they'd let me opt to not take a medal as the there's not a lot of cool dad points in showing the kids the medal you "won" when you were the only person on the course. I'm thinking pace will be more long long run than PB attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

On a slightly separate matter, I really think the AAI should focus on organising a marathon championship with tight GFA to limit numbers (Mondello?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

jlang wrote: »
    I signed up because I wouldn't want to see Marathon 2020 hats going around town and not have taken the chance to have my own. I'd happily donate any extra money to charity if they'd let me opt to not take a medal as the there's not a lot of cool dad points in showing the kids the medal you "won" when you were the only person on the course. I'm thinking pace will be more long long run than PB attempt.

Thought you could buy the merchandise after the race most years?

Personally wouldn't pay for virtual race.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 bullethead

echancrure wrote: »
    On a slightly separate matter, I really think the AAI should focus on organising a marathon championship with tight GFA to limit numbers (Mondello?)

With you 100% on this, unfortunately there is more interest in a hat and medal than an actual proper championship race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

No need for the app anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Van.Bosch wrote: »

Money talks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,117 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Van.Bosch wrote: »

Sense at last

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Yay, best dig out my wallet now to get myself a hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭event

Fair play to them, they take the feedback on board anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

Using the app didnt really bother me but always great when organisers listen to feedback from participants

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Good to see they listened. And in fairness they have been very good at responding to feedback on events. Happy to pay, do a nice long long training run, get a beanie and support a great race series.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 N.Fusco

App is up and available to link to your profile. Running 42k with some friends this weekend so will see how badly it drains the battery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

For someone who has never raced Dublin, I wonder if you were to take part in the virtual marathon would you have a better chance of getting into next years marathon?

MY BAD wrote: »
    For someone who has never raced Dublin, I wonder if you were to take part in the virtual marathon would you have a better chance of getting into next years marathon?

2022 you mean?
    2021 is sold out as it is basically 2020 transferred.

To answer your question about kudos for doing the virtual marathon, no, 2022 will be a ballot too it looks like.

2022 you mean?

To answer your question about kudos for doing the virtual marathon, no, 2022 will be a ballot too it looks like.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

On the plus side (at least for people like me that missed out on the lottery this time), there has got to be an awful lot more withdraws come 2020 which should put more tickets onto the market?

Ever the optimist..........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Seán, you could always run a sub 3 marathon before the GFA entry opens up again (next April if they follow the same schedule as this year) and get in that way :) very doable for you.

• Advertisement

Probably won't be to many options for a marathon between now and April in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Probably won't be to many options for a marathon between now and April in Ireland

Prob not... But here's hoping. You never know what the lie of the land will be come Springtime. If any sort of medium scale events are viable I'm sure there will be marathon options.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Big city marathons no, but there are a few options if you're happy to run a small scale event, without spectators.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

Ran one on the 11th of July Have one on Monday at the same venue and another in Mid August in Ballina.

Lockdown v2 aside is anyone else planning on running the normal route on the Sunday in Oct?
    Thats the direction I'm heading anyway, only way to do it.

Lockdown v2 would be depressing, 10 out and back 2kms....

Can see huge crowds on the 2nd half of the route acting as support crews.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭iancairns

Lockdown v2 aside is anyone else planning on running the normal route on the Sunday in Oct?
    Thats the direction I'm heading anyway, only way to do it.

Lockdown v2 would be depressing, 10 out and back 2kms....

Too many traffic lights doing old route. I’ll be going coastal. Fair is to Sutton x 2 all along coast. Flat as pancake and no lights to worry about.

iancairns wrote: »
    Too many traffic lights doing old route. I’ll be going coastal. Fair is to Sutton x 2 all along coast. Flat as pancake and no lights to worry about.

Sounds a good plan for elevation and lack of stops, but what if its a windy day?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭iancairns

Yep, if it's windy I am goosed (but same applies for anywhere else to an extent). Just gotta hope it's not too bad and pick a quiet 3hr over 48hr period.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

2022 you mean?

2021 is not sold out. Alot has changed on the marathon front. London now in Oct will free up alot of the UK spots in the Dublin Marathon.

There will be spaces, might not be a load but there be a least a 1000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭event

God I hope not

Advertisement