Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Assassins Creed Valhalla (Vikings)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Ridley wrote: »
    It is the same part but Kassandra's the canon protagonist in Odyssey for reference material so Alexios shouldn't be able to be there. At least not without (divine?) intervention. ;)

Would be neat if
    one or t'other cameo'd based on your Odyssey save game
    in Valhalla.

I suppose it doesn't really matter then, if its not cannon they don't really need to explain it as it never actually 'happened'. Could drive yourself mad thinking about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭Ridley

Markitron wrote: »
    I suppose it doesn't really matter then, if its not cannon they don't really need to explain it as it never actually 'happened'. Could drive yourself mad thinking about that.

I think what they're aiming for in the end is that all players' experiences are alternate realities and will come in handy for reboot talk if They ever point out that Layla's Animus is always rewriting the past.

I suspect that's partly why the Atlantis DLC is basically an Animus within an Animus. Helps keep the Isu/precursors mysterious but also leaning into the "nothing is true, everything is permitted" of the Creed.

Though I've just come back here from finding out the Dark Horse prequel is going with female Eivor so I guess my nose is bleeding. ;)

I think what they're aiming for in the end is that all players' experiences are alternate realities and will come in handy for reboot talk if They ever point out that Layla's Animus is always rewriting the past.

I suspect that's partly why the Atlantis DLC is basically an Animus within an Animus. Helps keep the Isu/precursors mysterious but also leaning into the "nothing is true, everything is permitted" of the Creed.

Though I've just come back here from finding out the Dark Horse prequel is going with female Eivor so I guess my nose is bleeding. ;)

Trying to make sense of AC's overarching story is a fools game. I have actually always liked the modern day stuff but since AC3 they have been clearly making it up on a game by game basis with no pre-planning.

Trying to make sense of AC's overarching story is a fools game. I have actually always liked the modern day stuff but since AC3 they have been clearly making it up on a game by game basis with no pre-planning.

The modern day lost focus after Desmond and I didn't care for Juno stuff being not wrapped up in a game, but I think it's unfair to suggest they're not consciously giving Layla an arc.

"Reality is a simulation" is in The Empirical Truth from Origins and Reality as a Simulation is in Odyssey. They're doing Something.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,199 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The modern day lost focus after Desmond and I didn't care for Juno stuff being wrapped up in a game, but I think it's unfair to suggest they're not consciously giving Layla an arc.

"Reality is a simulation" is in The Empirical Truth from Origins and Reality as a Simulation is in Odyssey. They're doing Something.

Yeah it does sound like they're going to push the modern-day aspect further in his game and try to properly integrate it into the entire story. I skipped Origins but all I remember from the modern-day stuff in Odyssey was checking Layla's emails a few times and then retracing a few small steps of Kassandra's into the vault and climbing something to finish a puzzle. It was completely bland and uninteresting.

For the modern-day story in this game, I'll keep low expectations which they'll hopefully exceed.

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    Yeah it does sound like they're going to push the modern-day aspect further in his game and try to properly integrate it into the entire story. I skipped Origins but all I remember from the modern-day stuff in Odyssey was checking Layla's emails a few times and then retracing a few small steps of Kassandra's into the vault and climbing something to finish a puzzle. It was completely bland and uninteresting.

For the modern-day story in this game, I'll keep low expectations which they'll hopefully exceed.

https://assassinscreed.fandom.com/wiki/The_Empirical_Truth

If you want the experience without the gameplay!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Yeah I'm the same, I really enjoyed the modern day stuff and enjoyed playing as Desmond whether it was in the Colosseum or in the stadium in Brazil; there was something really enjoyable about it.

I'm sure it was probably difficult to map out a full game based on 'modern times' but the core story was great and I remember being genuinely shocked at times, like when Desmond was forced to stab Lucy. It felt like they could at least continue the narrative in chunk through games (outside of the absolutely dire first person office work stuff) but clearly decided they weren't bothered and now its just a construct they feel they have to keep in to explain the broader parameters of what you can and cant do but it's so jarring these days when you're pulled out to play as Layla.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I reckon the reason they haven't gone with a modern day game yet is because it will be very hard to make it with modern weaponry and tech. Melee combat doesn't really make sense, in a large scale, in modern times. I also reckon that's why they haven't gone beyond the 1860's (not including the Russian one). Modern weapons and assassiney stuff don't mix well imo, and the only reason it was bearable in 3/4 etc is because of single use firearms and the time it takes to reload. Doesn't matter how good of an Assassin you are, you're not going to dodge all the bullets from an MP7 or M4!

Anyway, it's not until someone mentions it that I remember there was a modern day part in Odyssey, but saying that I still haven't finished/started the Atlantis DLC (I started to lose interest after getting the Plat...)

Please explain what they are doing?
    Layla's animus makes no sense in lore terms. The way they tried to explain away how you can play as either male or female in Odyssey is laughable. Atlantis basically messed up the lore as well with far too many plot holes to take seriously.

I loved the modern day, the problem is rather than fleshing it out they did away with it completely and now only include it here and there to placate those that miss the way it used to be but a half assed present day story line is worse than none at all imo.

They seem to be building towards Layla Hassan using the Animus to hack reality/change history.

*Some First Civilization/Isu members can view time simultaneously.
    *Isu Aletheia ("truth") is described by Layla as a hacker and it's theorised in-game that she can perceive multiple realities.
    *The Atlantis of the DLC, a city rebooting every seven years, is Layla in the Animus as [Kassandra] in an Aletheia simulation built from of Isu memories so what actually happened is muddied.

Plus

*Tech capable of time travel has existed since the first game in the modern day emails of that. "Corporate policy remains in place: any objects found to interfere with or manipulate time must be contained."
    *Alternate realities is the Assassin's Creed III DLC.

I'm not saying they've been planning this since the start, mind.

Origins:
    But the Animus bears a fatal flaw. It follows the rules from those who embrace Order just as we did. It allows you to witness – but not alter.
    Your Animus is different. As is the mind that imagined it. It could escape the code. It could do that leap, and make possible a decision that defies the order of things that are.
    Part of The Empirical Truth saying Animus is too Templar when it should be more Assassin: "Nothing is true, everything is permitted."
    Also says in the article that the modern day side of the story will actually see Layla entering the Animus to explore and fix things in the Eivor's world herself, so that actually sounds decent enough. Better than checking her emails.

"You can go into the Animus layer of our game," [Darby McDevitt] said. "There's an option to change the memory stream. To explain why would spoil a long-running secret, but I will say that the whole reason for why you can switch [Eivor’s gender] back and forth fully embraces the often overlooked science fiction nature of our series."

[Insert Always Sunny in Philadelphia conspiracy gif here]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Why they still bother with the modern day animus crap is beyond me, does anybody even like it? Even the Desmond stuff was a loada sh!te :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

nix wrote: »
    Why they still bother with the modern day animus crap is beyond me, does anybody even like it? Even the Desmond stuff was a loada sh!te :rolleyes:

Love the modern day stuff and hope they flesh it out a bit more!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

nix wrote: »

They left it out of Odyssey if I remember correctly.

They left it out of Odyssey if I remember correctly.

No it was definitely in Odyssey. A few main story missions ended with you being pulled out of the Animus for a quick chat with someone as Layla or checking her emails, or a small platforming section to get Layla into Pythagoras' chamber thing by retracing Kassandra/Alexio's steps.

Again though, unmemorable, short and something which was tacked-on. If they properly expand and integrate it in gameplay, it might be decent.

No it was definitely in Odyssey. A few main story missions ended with you being pulled out of the Animus for a quick chat with someone as Layla or checking her emails, or a small platforming section to get Layla into Pythagoras' chamber thing by retracing Kassandra/Alexio's steps.

Again though, unmemorable, short and something which was tacked-on. If they properly expand and integrate it in gameplay, it might be decent.

It was a fairly big part of the Atlantis DLC as well. If anything I would say the modern day stuff was getting more prominent.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Hmm I can't remember that at all, I remember it was in origins, they were in a cave or whatever.

It was a fairly big part of the Atlantis DLC as well. If anything I would say the modern day stuff was getting more prominent.

Skipped the DLC so fair enough. I'll probably watch the cutscenes on Youtube prior to getting the next game just as a catchup.

Skipped the DLC so fair enough. I'll probably watch the cutscenes on Youtube prior to getting the next game just as a catchup.

Yea that is a good idea, as its events will probably become relevant. As an aside, the Atlantis DLC is really good, well worth a go. If you are into the ISU side of things it is near-essential.
    Hmm I can't remember that at all, I remember it was in origins, they were in a cave or whatever.

You start off in an apartment and end up in a huge underground cavern. There is a very memorable scene that takes place there at the end of the Pythagoras questline.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Here's a taste of Jesper Kyd's soundtrack;

Yea that is a good idea, as its events will probably become relevant. As an aside, the Atlantis DLC is really good, well worth a go. If you are into the ISU side of things it is near-essential.

My issue is I went back to Odyssey after a break and learned about a farming thing to level up quickly, so went from Level 50 to Level 99.

However, I forgot it meant all my items and weapons were then severely underlevelled and nowhere near enough resources to upgrade them without some serious farming, so I doubt I'll bother go back to playing it again.

My issue is I went back to Odyssey after a break and learned about a farming thing to level up quickly, so went from Level 50 to Level 99.

However, I forgot it meant all my items and weapons were then severely underlevelled and nowhere near enough resources to upgrade them without some serious farming, so I doubt I'll bother go back to playing it again.

If you get the DLC you will be inundated with new items and resources, I really do not see it being a problem. You can even make your new items look identical to the old underlevelled ones.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Here's a taste of Jesper Kyd's soundtrack;

Jesper Kyd is one of the reasons I'm looking forward to this, his work on the Hitman series was incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

CatInABox wrote: »
    Jesper Kyd is one of the reasons I'm looking forward to this, his work on the Hitman series was incredible.

Nah, THIS is his finest work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Assassin's Creed Valhalla now releasing week earlier
    https://twitter.com/assassinscreed/status/1303685357335187458?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Niska

That one Viking name other than Ragnarok then. :p

I think God of War : Ragnarok (though with added umlaut) reveal kinda proves this point!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Is there any advantage to get the ps5 version of this? Ps4 comes with promise of free update to ps5 version, so can effectively play on either system. Ps5 disk will be restricted to ps5 only.

It only a small thing, but for any console hoarders who might have both in the house come November, am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

JimBurnley wrote: »
    Is there any advantage to get the ps5 version of this?

Not much but if your getting a PS5 in the next year it seems pointless to play this on a PS4 rather that waiting for the superior version, I'll get this game myself when I have a PS5 in 2021

Do we know if it's going to be the next gen version for XSX/S on release date, or just supported? I find it strange if the XSX/S has the next gen version and PS5 will only have support for the PS4 version, unless that's actually what's happening with the Xbox too? Can't find anything concrete on t'interwebz.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Do we know if it's going to be the next gen version for XSX/S on release date, or just supported? I find it strange if the XSX/S has the next gen version and PS5 will only have support for the PS4 version, unless that's actually what's happening with the Xbox too? Can't find anything concrete on t'interwebz.

I predict based on the wording above, its the PS4/X1 versions with the option to upgrade to the next gen versions when they're out.

That's what I was thinking. I'd nearly hold off for the PS5 version, as I don't have a great track record of replaying games again, even if it's shinier and fancier. Think we'll hear a good announcement soon after the release date for the current gen ones.

• Advertisement
Advertisement