Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brid Smith comments on High Court Judge

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

PeadarCo wrote: »
    So again you don't like the result but don't know and or understand the reasoning. And just because a law has been passed it does not mean its automatically constitutional. Its the courts job to decide that. Its Brid Murphys job as a TD to pass legislation. However the Dail or any TD does not get to decide if a law ultimately is in line with the constitution. That's the job of the Supreme Court. This case is not the first time the Supreme Court has overruled the Dail and hopefully it won't be the last. As the Supreme Court particularly acts as a check on the Dail and more importantly the government of the day it is very important that they are not only independent but seen to independent. Brid Murphy has brought this into question.

The wages of everyone who have been impacted and the judges that made the decision are irrelevant. The judges didn't rule on wages specifically. That's not to say you can't have a discussion on them but she has used the judges wages to bring them into question saying they are beholden to some mythical "elite" and therefore can't be trusted because they earn X salary. As I have said if she really wants to help the people impacted she could start by doing her job and not by acting like a wanabe dictator.

Brid Murphy is challenging the rule of law in a small way. Look a Trump and any dictator. One of the biggest steps to a dictatorship is undermining the independence of the judiciary to ensure its does not hold members of Parliament to account. Now remember Brid Murphy is a TD. She is challenging the right of the court to overrule her on the basis that it doesn't support her ideology. So the AJI was perfectly correct. Look at Trump and the damage he did, look at the damage dictators do full stop.

It's important that the rule of law is upheld. That starts with the people who make the law TD's like Brid Murphy. If TD's make laws that are bad worded or go against the constitution it's important that they accept the authority of the courts to overrule them.

Actually , when law is passed, there is a very strong Presumption that it adheres to the Constitution . The courts are slow to strike provisions down as Unconstitutional, and find methods to avoid dealing with such issue ie look at the facts and whether ordinary law of contract Or criminal law etc is relevant - so it’s not far off being automatically constitutional

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I do want to get into that last bit
    Ok, but it's going to be very longwinded and tedious, and is now straying from politics to Legal Discussion; so apologies to anyone reading this, if there's anyone left.
    He has ruled it as unconstitutional because the primary legislation does not provide sufficient clarity to pass secondary legislation.
    It does.

The judgment says that the statutory language is too imprecise, despite the guidelines given at s.16(4) and elsewhere in the primary legislation where it lists five very specific guiding principles of Government policy, laid down by the Oireachtas.

It was clearly the intention of the Oireachtas in s.16(4) that, although sometimes these principles might come into conflict, this conflict is to be settled by way of an harmonious accord as between the employers and the employees within the sector so as to
    (a) promote harmonious relations between workers and
    employers
    and assist in the avoidance of industrial unrest in the
    economic sector concerned, and

(b) [...] ensure fair and sustainable rates of remuneration,

The Labour Court would be acting beyond its powers if it were to permit an acrimonious and/ or unsustainable obligation on parties to which they did not consent. It is clearly the policy of the Oireachtas, therefore, to recognise that market forces (as between employers and employees) will determine the outcome of deliberations.

These market forces are a crucial safeguard, yet this safeguard does not involve the abdication of responsibility by the Minister, since it is she who must then review the recommendation of the Labour Court with respect to the detailed Chapter 3 requirements.

In Part 3 of the Judgment, the Court says that the vagueness attached to the above is so vague as to render judicial review impossible. What he somehow forgets, is that he has just completed a successful judicial review of the process earlier in his judgment, finding against the Applicants. If it were impossible to judicially review the Application, he ought never have proceeded with Parts 1 and 2 of the Judgment, the Judicial Review.

This is a minor point, but the language that is objected to, such as "fair and sustainable" and "substantial" is described as hopelessly vague. Yet, these are exactly the kinds of terms that are used throughout primary and secondary legislation and crucially, which the courts themselves encounter, and pass judgement on, in perhaps the majority of cases. Nevertheless, some of the statutory provisions mentioned above give the necessary context to such language.

It would be impossible for any secondary legislation to meaningfully curtail the deliberations of the Labour Court without this -somewhat loose- terminology. The alternative would be, for example, to set specific and quantifiable limits on pay adjustments in secondary legislation, which for obvious reasons is impossible in the context of the far-reaching work of the Labour Court in making its recommendations.

The reason I didn't want to get into that long and probably pointless essay, is because I think it's moot anyway. The judge had no business in straying into the constitutionality of the legislation to begin with. He didn't have grounds to drag the presumption of constutionality into his court once he had finished with the Judicial Review -- a Review he now claims is constitionally impossible. Very strange logic.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

One post deleted, along with a reply quoting that post.

Please read the forum charter:
    Keep your language civil, particularly when referring to other posters and people in the public eye. Using unsavoury language does not add to your argument. Examples would be referring to other people or groups as scumbags, crusties, sheeple, shills, trolls, traitors or saying that recently deceased people should “rot in hell” or similar. Repeated use of terms like that will result in a ban from the forum.

In short, be nice.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The reason I didn't want to get into that long and probably pointless essay, is because I think it's moot anyway. The judge had no business in straying into the constitutionality of the legislation to begin with. He didn't have grounds to drag the presumption of constutionality into his court once he had finished with the Judicial Review -- a Review he now claims is constitionally impossible. Very strange logic.

I appreciate the reply, but its also clear even from your explanation that his judgement was not remotely based on the concern about high wages and it is disingenuous to describe it as such. That is what I take issue with, not a general comment on the soundness of the actual judgement. I would claim that the elements he conducted a judicial review on are not the ones that he has constitutional issues with as it never got that far.

Smith's issue is not with encroachment on judicial restraint - she just didn't like the outcome and went off on some personal attacks on the judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Deleted post.
    Brid Smith didn't say anything in the ball park of what was in the post you quoted. She just went off on an ad hominem attack because she didn't like the judgement. It is possible for the judgement to be wrong, and Smith to be in the wrong. The former is up for debate (and that's what the appeals process is for). The latter is not.

All that the post you quoted confirms is that Smith isn't even up to the level of debate of an internet forum, let alone the national legislature

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

28064212 wrote: »
    Brid Smith didn't say anything in the ball park of what was in the post you quoted. She just went off on an ad hominem attack because she didn't like the judgement. It is possible for the judgement to be wrong, and Smith to be in the wrong. The former is up for debate (and that's what the appeals process is for). The latter is not.

All that the post you quoted confirms is that Smith isn't even up to the level of debate of an internet forum, let alone the national legislature

At the end of the day she didn't like it and said as much. Nobody is above scrutiny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Bowie wrote: »
    At the end of the day she didn't like it and said as much. Nobody is above scrutiny.

Including Ms. Smith?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

Isn't the issue here that she determined the judge was bias because she didn't agree with the decision the judge made based on their interpretation of the law?

Kind of like saying the referee in a soccer match is fixed for one team instead of saying he's blind when a decision goes against you!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Isn't the issue here that she determined the judge was bias because she didn't agree with the decision the judge made based on their interpretation of the law?

Kind of like saying the referee in a soccer match is fixed for one team instead of saying he's blind when a decision goes against you!

If that was the case there would be no issue as anyone is entitled to critically analyse a decision based on merit. The issue is that she didn’t analyse the judgment or give any thesis on it but jumped straight to the judges salary and stated he can’t make a rational decision because of it.

If I’m wrong (which I don’t think so) show me any analysis of the judgment by her, and even more so did she raise the fact that the judgment is subject to appeal.

I find Richard an excellent representative and even handed. I don’t find Brid the same.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

She scrutinised absolutely nothing.

She went off on a rant about the judge's salary. It was a personal attack, nothing more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

joeguevara wrote: »
    If that was the case there would be no issue as anyone is entitled to critically analyse a decision based on merit. The issue is that she didn’t analyse the judgment or give any thesis on it but jumped straight to the judges salary and stated he can’t make a rational decision because of it.

If I’m wrong (which I don’t think so) show me any analysis of the judgment by her, and even more so did she raise the fact that the judgment is subject to appeal.

I find Richard an excellent representative and even handed. I don’t find Brid the same.

That's sort of what I meant - she attacked the judge himself rather than the decision he made.

That's sort of what I meant - she attacked the judge himself rather than the decision he made.

That is slightly different than saying she criticised their interpretation of the Law. She implied that as they had such a high salary, they should not be judging on the matter. I didn't actually see her criticising any interpretation.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,169 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/scrutiny

Scrutiny: the careful and detailed examination of something in order to get information about it

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/scrutiny

Scrutiny: a searching examination or investigation; minute inquiry.
    surveillance; close and continuous watching or guarding.
    a close and searching look.

I have looked at the definitions of scrutiny and I find it impossible to accept the categorisation of Ms Smith's tirade as anything close to the meaning of scrutiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I had forgoitton all about this post.
    So the legislators and Judiciary completely separate.
    Yet i read a couple of weeks ago that Barry Cowan (a senior legislator)
    He had hired a high profile team to challenge what was on Gardai file in relation to his conviction.
    I think this is the reason he was sacked.
    So the legislators and rhe Judicary are completely separate.
    Yet a senior legislator can challenge something that happened 4 years before.
    I may not understand but i cannot see how they are separate in this instance...

I had forgoitton all about this post.
    So the legislators and Judiciary completely separate.
    Yet i read a couple of weeks ago that Barry Cowan (a senior legislator)
    He had hired a high profile team to challenge what was on Gardai file in relation to his conviction.
    I think this is the reason he was sacked.
    So the legislators and rhe Judicary are completely separate.
    Yet a senior legislator can challenge something that happened 4 years before.
    I may not understand but i cannot see how they are separate in this instance...

Do you understand the separation of powers?

Do you understand the difference between legal team and judiciary?

Do you understand what happened in the Barry Cowen case?

Because from what you have posted this has nothing to do with anything here.

So its perfectly ok for a serving Minister (senior legislator) to challenge circumstances of his arrest of 4 years after event in court?
    The initial complainer in this thread was the serving Minister for Justice at the time.

You seem to know more about this than me so you can explain...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,644 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

So its perfectly ok for a serving Minister (senior legislator) to challenge circumstances of his arrest of 4 years after event in court?
    The initial complainer in this thread was the serving Minister for Justice at the time.

You seem to know more about this than me so you can explain...

He is challenging the record of his arrest as a private citizen, something which every citizen is entitled to do, his status as a minister or TD has literally no bearing on this process.

He also is asking why and how a private arrest record was made public which again he has every right to do as someone within the gardai has done something illegal for that to happen and that absolutely needs to be investigated.

Also as far as im aware he didnt hire a legal team for this purpose till after he was sacked as a minister but havent been able to find and exact timeline for that.

None of this has anything to do with seperation of powers

VinLieger wrote: »
    He is challenging the record of his arrest as a private citizen, something which every citizen is entitled to do, his status as a minister or TD has literally no bearing on this process.

He also is asking why and how a private arrest record was made public which again he has every right to do as someone within the gardai has done something illegal for that to happen and that absolutely needs to be investigated.

Also as far as im aware he didnt hire a legal team for this purpose till after he was sacked as a minister but havent been able to find and exact timeline for that.

Well Michael Martin said he had no option but to terminate once Mr Cowan took legal option. I be thinking MM must have known.
    Anyway there nothing about it now but interesting all the same...

Well Michael Martin said he had no option but to terminate once Mr Cowan took legal option. I be thinking MM must have known.
    Anyway there nothing about it now but interesting all the same...

No Michael Martin said he sacked him for refusing to make a second statement to the dail

No Michael Martin said he sacked him for refusing to make a second statement to the dail

What i read in the printed press is MM said when Mr Cowan took legal route the game was over...

• Advertisement

What i read in the printed press is MM said when Mr Cowan took legal route the game was over...

This is completely off topic but he clearly said at the time he was sacked for refusing to make a second statement

Show me where that was written. Because it’s not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

Even if it was, MM made a judgment on who he wanted in his cabinet, which is his prerogative. It could have been based on the colour of Cowen’s shoes that morning. The hiring and firing of ministers has absolutely nothing to with the separation of powers and even implying it does is so inaccurate that it’s not even just wrong, it’s just weird

Yes i will post it later...

//www.irishmirror https:.ie/news/irish-news/politics/barry-cowen-sacking-micheal-martin-22363024

So this story is lies?

//www.irishmirror https:.ie/news/irish-news/politics/barry-cowen-sacking-micheal-martin-22363024

So this story is lies?

As per this story He sacked him because he refused to answer questions About the real facts of the case and faith in him was lost. Completely different from what you had stated. And as far from separation of powers argument that you had made as possible.

As per this story He sacked him because he refused to answer questions About the real facts of the case and faith in him was lost. Completely different from what you had stated. And as far from separation of powers argument that you had made as possible.

You said the article did not excist so get over it.
    I did not ever mention separation of powers, someone else made that comment, i stated nothing the article is what happened and you said it did not exist.

You do not know what you on about as its clear in the article that MM said he went to the courts and it game over.
    Cowan was simply stupid to respond to the Sunday article and the hole just got bigger every time i spoke.
    BTW i actually was one of the few people i know who liked Brian C so i am not having a go.
    Barry likely recover as these ar the politicians we like...

You said the article did not excist so get over it.
    I did not ever mention separation of powers, someone else made that comment, i stated nothing the article is what happened and you said it did not exist.

You do not know what you on about as its clear in the article that MM said he went to the courts and it game over.
    Cowan was simply stupid to respond to the Sunday article and the hole just got bigger every time i spoke.
    BTW i actually was one of the few people i know who liked Brian C so i am not having a go.
    Barry likely recover as these ar the politicians we like...

You made the point of Cowen questioning his case as a senior legislator and the judiciary. That is you mentioning a breach of separation of powers. That is not what happened. I don’t think you understand what you’re really arguing. You aren’t comprehending anything the article is saying. And not Being pedantic but it’s Cowen.

• Advertisement

You made the point of Cowen questioning his case as a senior legislator and the judiciary. That is you mentioning a breach of separation of powers. That is not what happened. I don’t think you understand what you’re really arguing. You aren’t comprehending anything the article is saying. And not Being pedantic but it’s Cowen.

He did ask the question and Michael Martin acknowledeged that in the article, it may be the press told lies as you say.

So we Cabinet of Ministers with collective accountability for the running of our country.
    Then we have one of these people going to court in front of the Judges they appoint to office to complain about false reporting by the Gardai.
    The reason for going to court is to question the details of arrest before he accepted whatever penalty imposed.
    The reason he can ask the question is because it did not go to court 4

years earlier the case was not contested.
    Also Mr Cowan was also a legislator at the time of the offence, he was mature person? around 50 driving on a provisional license and he turned away from the checkpoint.
    So these are the people who we want to run our country.
    I think you should have a glass of something strong...

Advertisement