Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cycling Ireland Registration for Events

Options
  • 13-07-2020 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭

I'm a bit puzzled as to how the CI Covid-19 booking system is meant to work for club leisure spins. There seems to be two options - either everyone registers separately inputting name, membership number, birth date, spin time and title or the ride leader can register and then add up to 11 other names for the ride.
    With either method, if someone doesn't show up or the spin is cancelled (as happened last Tuesday) is it possible to cancel your registration, edit the list of names or delete the event altogether? I know extra names can be added but no later than the day of the event.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.. if someone doesn't show up or the spin is cancelled (as happened last Tuesday) is it possible to cancel your registration, edit the list of names or delete the event altogether?....
    If the spin is cancelled it wouldn't matter whether the registration is cancelled or not as there would be no need to do contract tracing for an event which didn't occur.

If someone who registered didn't turn up, it wouldn't matter (apart from a bit of time wasting). If it transpired that someone on the ride was positive for C-19, the 'no show' rider would be contacted for tracing but they could simply verify that they weren't there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If the spin is cancelled it wouldn't matter whether the registration is cancelled or not as there would be no need to do contract tracing for an event which didn't occur.

If someone who registered didn't turn up, it wouldn't matter (apart from a bit of time wasting). If it transpired that someone on the ride was positive for C-19, the 'no show' rider would be contacted for tracing but they could simply verify that they weren't there.

Pretty much bang on the nose, the portal speeds up contact tracing but the HSE still makes contact with everyone on the list, and if one says I wasn't there, no real harm done. Wastes a tiny amount of time but better than not doing it or registering for a second time as they will still double check the original list. The only time you should really re do it is if someone who wasn't on the list joined in and were missed.

I'd also reiterate, once you are over one rider, you should register, even for non official spins.

CramCycle wrote: »
    ....I'd also reiterate, once you are over one rider, you should register, even for non official spins.
    I can't see how that would work as a club name has to be entered.

If several members of my club arrange a cycle outside of normal club days, it must not be referred to a a 'club' ride. If the organiser puts a message up in advance on Whats App/Face Book etc., they must specify that it is not a club ride even if all present are club members.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Thanks for the replies.

I found a document on the CI site that seems to indicate that they will only release the information to an authorised official of the club involved. Presumably it is then up to the club and not CI to send on the list of possible contacts and their contact details to the HSE.

For some reason our club favours individual registration rather than the ride leader doing a group booking even though it involves more work and potentially more confusion with people entering different event names. It also means that the ride leader has no way of knowing whether everyone has booked or not.

I can't see how that would work as a club name has to be entered.

If several members of my club arrange a cycle outside of normal club days, it must not be referred to a a 'club' ride. If the organiser puts a message up in advance on Whats App/Face Book etc., they must specify that it is not a club ride even if all present are club members.
    But you can still enter what club you are in. I go out with two or three lads for a spin not in my club, I can still enter on the CI website. The purpose is for contact tracing, nothing else, it should be done for all non solo spins. If this was the case, only club soins would be insured and not any randome training sessions. I asked CI directly and they confirmed this via email. your not doing this as a club thing, it just makes contact tracing easier.
    Thanks for the replies.

I found a document on the CI site that seems to indicate that they will only release the information to an authorised official of the club involved. Presumably it is then up to the club and not CI to send on the list of possible contacts and their contact details to the HSE.

For some reason our club favours individual registration rather than the ride leader doing a group booking even though it involves more work and potentially more confusion with people entering different event names. It also means that the ride leader has no way of knowing whether everyone has booked or not.
    Not the way I read it, I understood from our secretary that they could ask for the info but that if I tested positive, the HSE would start the process, they would ask me questions, I would identify I was on a spin and it was with CI, they would contact CI and get the relevant details that way. There are other issues here, rider not being a CI rider etc but thats not the point of the contact tracing form. The point is for contact tracing, if they have a name, they can find a contact.

EDIT: also individually entering the riders might defreat the purpose as they will all show up as an individual riders with CI and defeat the purpose of registering. Hopefully the system would pick up on the similar times but it might not. I would talk to your club and explain that one person entering all the names of their group makes alot more sense in regards to the purpose of the form.

• Advertisement

As a matter of interest, have you ever had to amend a booking to add someone on? Having booked/registered for a club spin in the morning, I tried to go back into the system to add another name. It seemed to treat it as a completely new booking and presumably ditched the original one.

As a matter of interest, have you ever had to amend a booking to add someone on? Having booked/registered for a club spin in the morning, I tried to go back into the system to add another name. It seemed to treat it as a completely new booking and presumably ditched the original one.

I don't think it ditches the original one, but it is a new booking, so you should add everyone again. I could be wrong. Might be worth flagging to CI to see can this be changed but while more work for you, it achieves all it is meant to achieve. Also asking them in case I am wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,212 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I’ve led a few club spins recently and I’ve advised any club member who has a CI license to register themselves.

While it’s possible for a spin leader to register the names of up to 12 riders, the system only asks for the riders names. I assume this is because CI are assuming that all 12 have a C I license and therefore, they already have their email and phone numbers in file.

If that’s not the case, then I can only assume that in the event that they need to know who was on a specific club spin, they would contact me and it would be my responsibility to provide the contact details of all the riders?

In short I don’t see why they have the facility for one rider to add another 12 names?

On the day of the spin I take note of the names of all the riders who were actually on the spin, especially any Non- club members or members who have IVCA licenses.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    While it’s possible for a spin leader to register the names of up to 12 riders, the system only asks for the riders names. I assume this is because CI are assuming that all 12 have a C I license and therefore, they already have their email and phone numbers in file.

If that’s not the case, then I can only assume that in the event that they need to know who was on a specific club spin, they would contact me and it would be my responsibility to provide the contact details of all the riders?
    Its a bit of both, if they get 8 of the 12 riders within minutes from CI, brilliant, they then only have to hunt down the other 4.
    In short I don’t see why they have the facility for one rider to add another 12 names?
    Because if you all register separately, it looks like 12 separate events. If someone tests positive and they say they were out on day X with Club Y, HSE contacts CI, gets all the names, the majority of contact details and even if one or two are lapsed or ICVA or whatever else, they will be found and contacted quicker.

If you all register separately, CI thinks it was just you on your own, so then begins the longer process of tracking down all the names of everyone who registered, or simply contacting you and hoping you remember who was there.
    On the day of the spin I take note of the names of all the riders who were actually on the spin, especially any Non- club members or members who have IVCA licenses.
    Your thing of taking notes on the riders who were there is ideal, and either send it round via whatsapp or give everyone your contact details, essentially the same thing. Most people won't do this and the CI app gives a way to achieve the requirement to help with contact tracing.

On the question of who notifies the HSE, the CI document "Booking System/Contact Tracing support document" is quite clear that the onus is on the club to get the basic information from CI as to who an infected cyclist rode with and to then notify the HSE presumably with contact details for the riders potentially exposed. See http://www.cyclingireland.ie/downloads/tracing%20app%20-%20instructions.pdf

I have been on to CI about editing a list of names provided in a group booking and they seem to think this is possible. I'm waiting to hear from them how this is done.

• Advertisement

On the question of who notifies the HSE...
    From my experience at work, the HSE will probably be ahead of the pack and know before the club or CI. When a person tests positive, the HSE will contact the infected person (or close relatives/carers where applicable) and find out where/who they have been with over the past few days

07Lapierre wrote: »
    ...In short I don’t see why they have the facility for one rider to add another 12 names?...
    Possibly to allow addition names of those who don't do internet/email/smart phones etc.

I have been on to CI about editing a list of names provided in a group booking and they seem to think this is possible. I'm waiting to hear from them how this is done.

Amazingly, they have now discovered that it's not possible to edit an existing booking and suggested I register the group of 12 just before heading off at 9.00 in the morning. Did anyone in CI actually try this system out before they launched it? Do any of them actually cycle?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

I don't know why you have to enter multiple details (Name; DOB; club: liscence no.; etc etc every single time when all those details are on record anyway - e.g. if you enter your liscence no. the details will be the same every time).
    Over-complicating it means people are less likely to use it.

After a few more emails, CI have stated that they will look at giving clubs access to the event booking system. I'm taking this to me that it will allow for modifying/updating bookings already made.

I went ahead and booked a Thursday spin group in on Wednesday night. Fortunately everyone showed up and no changes were needed. They still recommend making the booking just before heading off on the spin but doing it afterwards before 9.00pm might actually be the best option until they allow editing.

Advertisement