Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hibernia College

• 26-06-2020 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey guys, just wondering about peoples experience with hibernia college, has anybody else ever had any legal issues with hibernia? Or am I the only one?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Hey guys, just wondering about peoples experience with hibernia college, has anybody else ever had any legal issues with hibernia? Or am I the only one?

That escalated quickly.

What sort of legal issue??

I have very little positive to say about Hibernia, the reason I went with them was that they allowed me to continue in employment for most of the course, and the distance thing really suited me. Some of the tutors were immense, and I am still in contact with one or two of them in a professional capacity, but their administration staff are inept, and their lack of transparency in communication is very difficult to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 johnprofumo

I echo a lot of what you say in your post. Particularly administration staff and I am talking about senior administration staff, and also senior academic staff. I deferred my place on the course, when I went to rejoin my place was withdrawn and €9000 kept by Hibernia. After some protracted legal issues I got reinstated in the course. The matter was before the courts on several occasions.

Just wondering if anybody else ever had any similar experiences?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I finished the PDPPE in Hibernia and had a few minor issues. Usually admin based - like being sent to an onsite in Tipp instead of a Dublin venue which was 20min from my home.

I have heard some horror stories around academic grading. Two friends were given identical written feedback on an assignment with one being graded a D and the other a B. When they discovered this they questioned their tutor and both were bumped to As. I would suspect this was down to a tutor who was looking to rush through work.

I did my undergrad in UCD and a postgrad in DCU. I found that there is always admin problems in universities. I heard many a horror story in UCD. One of my friends failed an economics class, went crying to the lecturer and he gave her a pass. The same lecturer turned me away from his office because I supposedly never attended his class - a class I never missed.

Hibernia get a lot of stick but personally they were great and their program allowed me to get a hDip while working full time. I couldn't have gone back to UCD for a full time postgrad at that time in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭joeharte123

I echo a lot of what you say in your post. Particularly administration staff and I am talking about senior administration staff, and also senior academic staff. I deferred my place on the course, when I went to rejoin my place was withdrawn and €9000 kept by Hibernia. After some protracted legal issues I got reinstated in the course. The matter was before the courts on several occasions.

I haven't heard good things about Hibernia, to be honest. Principals and management seem to be often quite snobby toward those in applications with Hibernia qualifications, even though technically speaking it is the same qualification recognised by the Teaching Council like the well established courses such as Maynooth.
    However, to avoid any handicaps in getting a job in teaching I would advise against Hibernia in order to give yourself a chance in an already highly saturated market.

I find it interesting that Hibernia withdrew your place, as far as I'm aware Hibernia basically has "unlimited" courses as it is online education - this is often part of an argument that they are part to blame for the over saturation of teacher qualifications in this country in the first place!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

I haven't heard good things about Hibernia, to be honest. Principals and management seem to be often quite snobby toward those in applications with Hibernia qualifications, even though technically speaking it is the same qualification recognised by the Teaching Council like the well established courses such as Maynooth.
    However, to avoid any handicaps in getting a job in teaching I would advise against Hibernia in order to give yourself a chance in an already highly saturated market.

I find it interesting that Hibernia withdrew your place, as far as I'm aware Hibernia basically has "unlimited" courses as it is online education - this is often part of an argument that they are part to blame for the over saturation of teacher qualifications in this country in the first place!

That is a very unfair thing to say. There are many hibernia graduates who are excellent teachers and there are many terrible teachers that went to the NUIs. In the past when hibernia was launched, there probably was some snobbery but that no longer exists. I went to an NUI and the only way to describe it was chaos. Assignments being assigned late, lecturers not delivering, people in the education department not speaking to each other etc. I havn't heard anything like that from teachers I've worked with who studied with Hibernia except for the anti-hibernia teachers here and they are few and far between. The only way someone can give a true comparison of teacher education courses in Ireland, is to do both otherwise you talking through your hat. Likewise for management.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

None of my fellow Hibernia graduates have struggled to find jobs. Well, none of the ones I am in contact with. I think some of the niche subjects where there are very few posts advertised have struggled to get hours in their subject, like music, or where subjects are over subscribed, like English or geography.

So I think you're probably talking out of your arse.

That is a very unfair thing to say. There are many hibernia graduates who are excellent teachers and there are many terrible teachers that went to the NUIs. In the past when hibernia was launched, there probably was some snobbery but that no longer exists. I went to an NUI and the only way to describe it was chaos. Assignments being assigned late, lecturers not delivering, people in the education department not speaking to each other etc. I havn't heard anything like that from teachers I've worked with who studied with Hibernia except for the anti-hibernia teachers here and they are few and far between. The only way someone can give a true comparison of teacher education courses in Ireland, is to do both otherwise you talking through your hat. Likewise for management.

I agree, it is unfair. But you admitted it there is an element of "anti-hibernia". I've said in my previous post that all qualifications are recognised by the TC to allow someone register as a PP teacher, thus shouldn't be treated differently. But, there have be instances whereby applications were snubbed because of the institution of the teacher training. Not saying this bias happens everywhere, but it does happen.

I agree, it is unfair. But you admitted it there is an element of "anti-hibernia". I've said in my previous post that all qualifications are recognised by the TC to allow someone register as a PP teacher, thus shouldn't be treated differently. But, there have be instances whereby applications were snubbed because of the institution of the teacher training. Not saying this bias happens everywhere, but it does happen.

I said it happened in the past. Hibernia and the other teaching courses are equal now. Interview boards would have to have a better reason to not give someone a job based on their teacher education diploma.

sullivlo wrote: »
    None of my fellow Hibernia graduates have struggled to find jobs. Well, none of the ones I am in contact with. I think some of the niche subjects where there are very few posts advertised have struggled to get hours in their subject, like music, or where subjects are over subscribed, like English or geography.

So I think you're probably talking out of your arse.

I don't mean to offend you as a Hibernia graduate. Like I have originally stated in my post, I believe it is unfair to treat Hibernia graduates differently, but there have been cases of this happening - it hasn't happened to you or your close friends which is positive and well deserved to anyone that invests their time training to work in the career they love!

Music is particularly bad with many wasting thousands of euro qualifying in the single subject leading to them being unemployed, with the best they can hope for is casual subbing in numerous different schools along with no permanency or job security.
    I know people that have went to the UK to teach music on full hours and love it, after scratching around Ireland for years, waiting by the phone for a few classes to supervise. I believe Geography is heavily subscribed across the board, also.

The only serious anti Hibernia sentiment I have seen is students trying to get placement schools. Normally PMEs require 8/10 classes a week for a year, but Hibernia require nearly double that for a short block of time, at odd times throughout the year. Teachers are hesitant to let classes go to a PME for 6 weeks. It's one thing if they have them for the full year but 6 weeks is nothing.

• Advertisement

I said it happened in the past. Hibernia and the other teaching courses are equal now. Interview boards would have to have a better reason to not give someone a job based on their teacher education diploma.

They were always equal. But some interview panels still look down on Hibernia graduates, which is wrong. I can only speak for Secondary here, not primary.

sullivlo wrote: »
    The only serious anti Hibernia sentiment I have seen is students trying to get placement schools. Normally PMEs require 8/10 classes a week for a year, but Hibernia require nearly double that for a short block of time, at odd times throughout the year. Teachers are hesitant to let classes go to a PME for 6 weeks. It's one thing if they have them for the full year but 6 weeks is nothing.

Students must find their own placements with Hibernia?

They were always equal. But some interview panels still look down on Hibernia graduates, which is wrong. I can only speak for Secondary here, not primary.

Have you been on interviews and experienced this?

I had to find myself with no help from the university.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Music is particularly bad with many wasting thousands of euro qualifying in the single subject leading to them being unemployed, with the best they can hope for is casual subbing in numerous different schools along with no permanency or job security.

I'd agree with you on the issues music teachers face, but that is nothing to do with Hibernia. In a lot of schools a subject like economics or music isn't going to be oversubscribed like geography or business.

I think you advising anyone to stay away from a qualification with Hibernia is misinformed. It's ideal for anyone looking to change careers and who haven't the time for a full-time postgrad.

As a Hibernia grad I never found anyone questioning my decision to gain a qualification with them nor have I been subject to any unfair treatment. I even think it's a stretch to say a panel even considers it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭Treppen

Oh groan, this again.

News flash. Many interview panels look down on many applicants for many reasons.

The Alma Mater reason is as old as the hills, long before Hibernia came along.

What college provides students with automatic placements?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 johnprofumo

thanks for the contribution lads, I can see the reviews of hibernia are mixed, I take it nobody on here has been through an appeals process be it academic or otherwise with hibernia?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 pollymv1

I agree. I've personal experience of Hibernia. At the end of the day it is run as a business as opposed to an academic institution. The staff aren't treated well at all. It feels like you are in sales just churning through fee payers. Doesn't rate with real universities.

pollymv1 wrote: »
    I agree. I've personal experience of Hibernia. At the end of the day it is run as a business as opposed to an academic institution. The staff aren't treated well at all. It feels like you are in sales just churning through fee payers. Doesn't rate with real universities.

I went to a real university and thought it was a churn fest as well.

But as a mature student the degree days are well over, maybe that's why the warm fuzzy feeling isn't there. Get in do the work get out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 pharris12

I have level 8 degree but it is only a pass grade, Have I any chance at all of getting accepted into Hibernia for primary school teaching?

Honestly the "pass degree" thing is a grey area. Some say a Third Class Honours is a pass, others say a "pass degree" is the same as any other degree, and you either failed the course or you didn't.

Be careful with Colleges and PMEs though. , Some will be happy to let you in but you still have to get passed the Teaching Council afterwards.

Start by contacting the college anyway. In fact contact all colleges and see if you get anything back.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 jackie1983

On the above note about the grades. Ive only a C3 in Irish English and maths (ordinary) I know I'll have to repeat my Irish and that's fine but what about the c3s? I know they require a C2. I have a level 8 honours degree and I'm a fully qualified accountant looking to change career. Is there any chance of not having to repeat my English and maths to get into any of the colleges to do the primary PME?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Hard to understand your message Jackie. Do you mean you have C3 in Higher Irish, C3 in Higher English, and C3 in Ordinary level Maths? By the looks of it your English is fine, if it's Higher. I'm not sure if the Ordinary in brackets is in relation to the English as well. As far as I know there's no way around it, you'd have to repeat if you don't have the requirements.

Advertisement