Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Too late to change career?

Options
  • 30-04-2020 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hi all,

I completed a degree in software engineering in 2004, however I never pursued it any further or worked in the IT field as I changed career into aviation as a pilot.

As the current crisis is unfolding it seems I may be unemployed for some time.

My question is, what are my options (if any) to get re-educated, preferably into IT?

Does already holding a degree open any doors into another degree course?

Many thanks and sorry for being vague.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Loads of options to get into I.T, pm me if you have any specific questions I will point you in the right direction.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Never too late to change career. Your skillset sounds like you would have many options.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭CantThinkOfANam

Thanks guys, signed up for a PHP online course, just to get started back and refresh the mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

It is never too late to make a change. Especially since you have a former skillset that has rested but that can be reinvoked. I suggest to look for a government supported Higher Diploma course that reduces your costs for a re-entry to next to nothing. You only need to bring a year of dedication and from there you could even go to a masters programme, given excellent grades. Higher Diploma students do well in industry and are sought after.

The choice is yours! PM me if you want to talk more about this.

Advertisement