Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

5k training - plans, recommendations, advice, etc

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

I did those two sessions along with tempo sessions in the weeks before Rathfarham last year where I got a PB. I found them really hard tbh. I'm coached so they aren't out plan as such

They look hard! I ended up doing 3 x 1 mi repeats and I found that hard enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Hedgehoggy wrote: »
    They look hard! I ended up doing 3 x 1 mi repeats and I found that hard enough!

Any session is only as hard as the pace you're running at. 😉😉

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Hope to start training next week. How are the rest of ye getting on?

Hope to start training next week. How are the rest of ye getting on?

Good luck. Have you picked a specific plan? I've been following the grads 5k plan the last while and it's been going well enough. I'm hoping to take on another 5k TT in the next few wks to judge progress. I was a bit disappointed after the 1m TT a few wks ago but looking bk now I think it's helped give me a bit of a speed boost.
    Definitely still need some endurance work though!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Yep, grads plan too. 25 minutes tempo today - went poorly.

• Advertisement

Yep, grads plan too. 25 minutes tempo today - went poorly.

Very windy out today in fairness... I have struggled with the paces a bit in the plan too and it's only now that I feel its coming right for me. Keep it up and it'll pay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

My progress towards the sub 20 5K has bottomed out. In December I was at 20:52. In January I got a knee issue that didn't clear up fully for a few months but still allowed me to run albeit mostly easy.

I did the boards 5k TT in March in 21:16. At the same time I started the boards grads 5-10K plan for 14 weeks as my knee issue was resolved. My 5K TT result at the end of the 14 weeks running mostly 6/7 days per week was 21:18.

Are there any recommended 5K plans for improving speed specifically? I've really got out of the habit of running flat out so that could do with improvement as well. I've gotten too used to running easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I've done three 5k time trials since lock down on more or less the same route. 17:14, 17:09, 16:59. I've done a few 5km specific sessions but I'm keeping it varied. I think I responded better to sessions with different places in them. Something like tempo, hills and back to tempo or 2x 2miles at tempo then finished with kms at 5k pace. Another one I liked was 2km at 8km pace then 3x1km tempo, then just 1km slightly faster than 5km pace

Advertisement