Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What type of saw should I buy?

Options
  • 17-03-2020 8:07pm
    Administrators Posts: 53,357 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

So I've a few projects I want to get done over the spring / summer around the house, e.g.:

- A console table made from MDF, essentially just an upside down U shape.
    - Garden bench seat
    - Blanket box for toys
    - Some garden planter boxes

Some of these require cutting down sheets (e.g. the console table), others cutting planks / beams (e.g. the garden bench).

I already have a mini circular saw, but the cutting depth is a max of 27mm which is a bit limiting.

I can't decide between:

1. Trying to get rid of the mini circular saw, replacing with a full sized circular saw and maybe picking up a mitre saw to allow for angled cuts etc. All in I'd be looking to spend 200-250.

or

2. Buying a cheap table saw.

I am strongly leaning toward option 1, because my storage space is limited and table saws take up lots of space that I really don't have. Also, I'd be concerned that I'd be buying too cheap a table saw for it to be any use.

On the other hand, I've been watching lots of youtube videos for inspiration, and almost all of these lads seem to use table saws so I'd be worried if I'm just wasting time with circular/mitre?

Anyone help guide me in the right direction, or have anything else I need to consider that I've not thought of? :)

Comments

That’s a track saw you’ll want. €250 will get a good DIY tracksaw with a quality blade.

• Administrators Posts: 53,357 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

JayZeus wrote: »
    That’s a track saw you’ll want. €250 will get a good DIY tracksaw with a quality blade.

Can you do mitre cuts on a track saw?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

Yes you can, I recommend having a look at Peter Millard's tracksaw workshop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JQjGwZT3Ak

Any recommendations for one in the 200-250 range?

At the 'budget' end, it's much of a muchness I think. For occasional DIY project use, I think you'd find it hard to beat this for €160 including delivery:

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/erbauer-erb690csw-185mm-electric-plunge-saw-240v/3875p

Suitable spare blade is this one:

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/erbauer-tct-saw-blade-184-x-30mm-40t/7304v

Reasonable review from a guy who has abused his and loves it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAtcHDynWPA

• Advertisement

Another tip if you purchase a starter kit like the one above that includes 2 x 700mm rails is to purchase another 1500mm rail separately.

The combination of the three rails will give you the flexibility you need to make the majority of common cuts from a standard 8*4 sheet sheet of osb/ply/whatever.

Another tip if you purchase a starter kit like the one above that includes 2 x 700mm rails is to purchase another 1500mm rail separately.

The combination of the three rails will give you the flexibility you need to make the majority of common cuts from a standard 8*4 sheet sheet of osb/ply/whatever.

Are the rails for these things all standard?

The Festool type rail is the most common but they are not all standard and a couple are completely different.

That's where information such as Peter Millard's set of videos will help you out, he explains which manufacturers have common rail systems (e.g. Triton, Evolution and Festool) and which ones have some level of commonality (e.g. Makita - has an extra anti-tip lip which some people like and some people don't - I think the Titan rails have that anti-tip lip too).

I believe the Erbauer is Festool compatible.

Thanks all. I was driving past Screwfix this morning and failed to overcome the urge to go in and buy it.

Seems like a nice piece of kit, just to get some timber now!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭REFLINE1

Was thinking of getting same saw. Do you need particular type of work bench or stand to use it on?

• Advertisement

REFLINE1 wrote: »
    Was thinking of getting same saw. Do you need particular type of work bench or stand to use it on?

Not at all. A common practice which works really well is to use a piece of kingspan or similar insulation board underneath as a cutting substrate.

Like this:

Not at all. A common practice which works really well is to use a piece of kingspan or similar insulation board underneath as a cutting substrate.

Like this:

Great stuff thanks

No but you need a bench of decent size if you want to be cutting down larger pieces. I was using it with a workmate type thing the other day, worked perfectly for short stuff but longer things are awkward. It probably needs to be able to take the full length of the track with very little overhang.

I think I'm going to build either a foldable bench or a bench that's easy and quick to dismantle from ply to use going forward. My storage space is really limited (a garden shed), I've no workshop and just do stuff outside in the garden, so it needs to easily come up and down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭cletus

I'm in the same boat, small shed and bench. I built two sawhorses, and got a sheet of ply, but an old door etc would work just as well. If you build the sawhorses right, they'll stack into each other, reducing the space needed

cletus wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat, small shed and bench. I built two sawhorses, and got a sheet of ply, but an old door etc would work just as well. If you build the sawhorses right, they'll stack into each other, reducing the space needed

I was thinking of just buying collapsible saw horses with a detachable bench top made from ply. Would 18mm ply be enough if I reinforced it to prevent bowing? I'd say I'd be going for about the same width as a door, but maybe only about 2/3rds the length.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭cletus

I can't imagine the ply bowing regardless, especially if you cut it to, say, 6x3

If an make really strong sawhorses from 4x2, especially if you make it using a sort of I-beam design

I see Lidl have a plunge saw in their Deals this week. Had intended getting the Erbauer one from Screwfix but they've obviously been shut recently. Any thoughts on the Lidl tool for a casual DIY'er? Not much detail on the spec unfortunately.

https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/diy-deals/plunge-saw/p40350

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Macker

I see Lidl have a plunge saw in their Deals this week. Had intended getting the Erbauer one from Screwfix but they've obviously been shut recently. Any thoughts on the Lidl tool for a casual DIY'er? Not much detail on the spec unfortunately.

some decent reviews on youtube ,Ill probably pick one up myself

Macker wrote: »
    some decent reviews on youtube ,Ill probably pick one up myself

Most of the reviews ive seen are for the Parkside brand saw while this one seems to be Scheppach based on the link above. Perhaps its the same saw with a different brand?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

The P/T from 16th looks interesting
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/product-recommendation/1500w-planer-thicknesser/p40367
    Be good for small stuff.

16th.
    Picked one up this morning, will report back once I open it up and use it.
    Its very portable at 30 kg, like the table saw I got last year.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

Most of the reviews ive seen are for the Parkside brand saw while this one seems to be Scheppach based on the link above. Perhaps its the same saw with a different brand?

The Lidl Parkside stuff is just rebranded Scheppach I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Macker

awec wrote: »
    The Lidl Parkside stuff is just rebranded Scheppach I believe.
    I'm not a fan of Park side power tools, is it the same as this one

https://youtu.be/PcfiKe1PkXU

Macker wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of Park side power tools, is it the same as this one

https://youtu.be/PcfiKe1PkXU

Same saw.

As with anything else, you get what you pay for but you shouldn't forget the law of diminishing returns. Those saws are just fine for casual use, especially if time is taken to get the tracks joined correctly and a better quality blade is used for the material being cut.

I have a fairly new Festool TS55 with the 1400mm tracks (it hurt when paying for it) and it's the dogs danglies but I'd have no hesitation buying one of the budget saws like that. They don't keep making and selling them just because people buy them. I suspect some of those who want to knock them are tying to use them for contractor type work, not just a bit of DIY project stuff around their home.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Same saw.

As with anything else, you get what you pay for but you shouldn't forget the law of diminishing returns. Those saws are just fine for casual use, especially if time is taken to get the tracks joined correctly and a better quality blade is used for the material being cut.

I have a fairly new Festool TS55 with the 1400mm tracks (it hurt when paying for it) and it's the dogs danglies but I'd have no hesitation buying one of the budget saws like that. They don't keep making and selling them just because people buy them. I suspect some of those who want to knock them are tying to use them for contractor type work, not just a bit of DIY project stuff around their home.

I agree when buying that brand but when you use it, you forget about the price and marvel at the build quality, accuracy, and ease of use.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Picked up one of these this morning, gave it a bit of a workout today, seems perfect for what i need so hopefully it holds up ok!

[IMG][/img]Scheppach.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 45 pneireland

Hi folks. Have recently bought a MacAllister MSPS1200 plunge saw from b n q . (screwfix also do them). It came with 2 x 700mm tracks. It has a groove underneath it something like all the tracks from other manufacturer's have which takes clamps to hold the track in position. Unfortunately it doesn't come with clamps and I'm wondering if some other track saw clamps will suit it. I know some of the grooves on the tracks of these machines do accept other firms clamps and some don't. I'm also wondering about replacement brushes for this machine .....there's not a word anywhere from screwfix or b n q about where to get them. . all help appreciated !

Advertisement