Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tokyo 2020 Qualifying. Athletes to watch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

From the AIMS website.

Olympic Marathon qualification
    Tue, 16 Jun 2020 11:09:00 +0000

World Athletics has lifted the limitation of 80 runners in the Olympic Marathon fields.

Any athlete who has met the qualifying times of 2:11:30 (men) or 2:29:30 (women) is eligible for selection for their national teams (of 3 male and 3 female runners). Qualification through the world rankings will not be possible.

Before the coronavirus pandemic led to the suspension of the qualifying period 90 runners had qualified, with qualifications set to resume on 1 December and continue until 31 May 2021.

“There is no longer a limit of 80 athletes in the marathon,” said Jakob Larsen, the new Competitions Director at World Athletics. “At the same time, we are assuming that we will still meet the total number of athletes who can start in athletics at the Olympics.” The IOC has specified a maximum of 1900 starting positions for athletics..

I'm not sure where that will leave Scullion etc who haven't yet ran QT.
    Anyone hazard a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭28064212

That's a weird news piece. Despite it apparently being released 10 days ago, there only two google hits on a search for "There is no longer a limit of 80 athletes in the marathon", and one of them is just a letsrun thread linking to the original on AIMS. Nothing on World Athletics either. At best, I'd say it's some misinterpretation of an interview where possible approaches WA are considering were discussed. Aside from anything else, it doesn't even mention the third method of qualification: top 10 in a Gold Label event

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

28064212 wrote: »
    That's a weird news piece. Despite it apparently being released 10 days ago, there only two google hits on a search for "There is no longer a limit of 80 athletes in the marathon", and one of them is just a letsrun thread linking to the original on AIMS. Nothing on World Athletics either. At best, I'd say it's some misinterpretation of an interview where possible approaches WA are considering were discussed. Aside from anything else, it doesn't even mention the third method of qualification: top 10 in a Gold Label event

Also thought it was a bit weird. As I hadn't heard anything about it before.
    I seen it in LR but didn't want to link from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Ceepo wrote: »
    From the AIMS website.

Olympic Marathon qualification
    Tue, 16 Jun 2020 11:09:00 +0000

World Athletics has lifted the limitation of 80 runners in the Olympic Marathon fields.

Any athlete who has met the qualifying times of 2:11:30 (men) or 2:29:30 (women) is eligible for selection for their national teams (of 3 male and 3 female runners). Qualification through the world rankings will not be possible.

Before the coronavirus pandemic led to the suspension of the qualifying period 90 runners had qualified, with qualifications set to resume on 1 December and continue until 31 May 2021.

“There is no longer a limit of 80 athletes in the marathon,” said Jakob Larsen, the new Competitions Director at World Athletics. “At the same time, we are assuming that we will still meet the total number of athletes who can start in athletics at the Olympics.” The IOC has specified a maximum of 1900 starting positions for athletics..

I'm not sure where that will leave Scullion etc who haven't yet ran QT.
    Anyone hazard a guess.

Be pretty crap to change it massively now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

61:10ish from Scullion in Larne this morning. Some running. Seaward around 63 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

healy1835 wrote: »
    61:10ish from Scullion in Larne this morning. Some running. Seaward around 63 mins.

Didn't see it all but at what stage did farrah drop him.

Not quite an athlete to watch for Tokyo, but what about Tommy Hughes setting a world record for over 60's this morning too.

Didn't see it all but at what stage did farrah drop him.

Not quite an athlete to watch for Tokyo, but what about Tommy Hughes setting a world record for over 60's this morning too.

Farah & Scott dropped SS and Ben Connor with about 2 miles to go, Farah dropped the hammer then with about a km to go. Looked like a great course, but very exposed to the elements if the weather's not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

3min pb for scullion, He will be giving out now he didn't beat Craggs record but thats a good thing.

jamule wrote: »
    3min pb for scullion, He will be giving out now he didn't beat Craggs record but thats a good thing.

Scullion could run a big time in London

Scullion could run a big time in London

Training with Mo must be bringing him on.

• Advertisement

jamule wrote: »

John Treacy ran a 61 min dead HM I think, so SS is the, ahem, second fastest Irishman ever over the distance ;)

Edit. That was a bit of a cheap shot. I remember Cragg being parachuted in in his mid 20's and there being a bit of resistance in some quarters? Did he contribute much to the athletics scene here aside from breaking records and competing in majir championships?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

John Treacy ran a 61 min dead HM I think, so SS is the, ahem, second fastest Irishman ever over the distance ;)

Edit. That was a bit of a cheap shot. I remember Cragg being parachuted in in his mid 20's and there being a bit of resistance in some quarters? Did he contribute much to the athletics scene here aside from breaking records and competing in majir championships?

Not "parachuted" - Irish passport holder since childhood.
    Good interview here:
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/othersport/arid-40025507.html

Contributed more to the athletics scene here than most of us. ;)

dna_leri wrote: »
    Not "parachuted" - Irish passport holder since childhood.
    Good interview here:
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/othersport/arid-40025507.html

Contributed more to the athletics scene here than most of us. ;)

Well he was parachuted in to be fair, Irish passport or not, he hadn't been an underage athlete for Ireland. I was never questioning his abilities, records or efforts while wearing the Green singlet, just as to whether he was really accepted by the running community here and if he did more than just turn up at championships. It would appear by that interview, a nice retrospective on his career notwithstanding, that he seems to think he has an obligation to give something back to the running system here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭Duanington

Super running from Scullion. Interesting to see now if Seaward\Pollock go again or if they can sit on their times now

Duanington wrote: »
    Super running from Scullion. Interesting to see now if Seaward\Pollock go again or if they can sit on their times now

Sets him nicely for London

Sets him nicely for London

It really does, puts him firmly into sub 2.10 territory

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Delighted for him. Not sure how i feel about him doing some training with Mo, I feel like if it was anyone else id probably assume the worst but because im a fan boy im trying to shrug it off. It's probably an opportunity too good to turn down and a dream situation for most athletes who are just below that level. But....Mo. Need WalshB in here to clear my conscience.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Delighted for him. Not sure how i feel about him doing some training with Mo, I feel like if it was anyone else id probably assume the worst but because im a fan boy im trying to shrug it off. It's probably an opportunity too good to turn down and a dream situation for most athletes who are just below that level. But....Mo. Need WalshB in here to clear my conscience.

To be fair it's a popular training spot for Irish/UK athletes, Similar to where he trains in Flagstaff plenty of athletes loop in with each other when suits without actually having any connection outside of the runs.

KSU wrote: »
    To be fair it's a popular training spot for Irish/UK athletes, Similar to where he trains in Flagstaff plenty of athletes loop in with each other when suits without actually having any connection outside of the runs.

He spent more time with O'Connor and another person than Mo's group. Mo's group was mainly long runs etc. Got some advice from Gary also.

I think he just saw how the top athletes work at a different level.

yes they all seem to have their own coaches, different sessions and lots of different groups on long runs so its not exactly what you'd call a training partner

• Advertisement

I think he just saw how the top athletes work at a different level.

Would have said that this was something he was accustomed to give Ed Cheserek and Hassan Mead are some of his regular training partners in Flag, Even the Japanese athletes in the group are in the 2.08/9 range from a marathon perspective

I don't think SS was lacking any quality training companions. The group in Flagstaff are pretty quick folk. Who knows what the difference is this time around? Better standard of shoe polish to black out the next%s with ?:pac:

I don't think SS was lacking any quality training companions. The group in Flagstaff are pretty quick folk. Who knows what the difference is this time around? Better standard of shoe polish to black out the next%s with ?:pac:

Looked like blacked out Alphaflys to me :)

Looked like blacked out Alphaflys to me :)

Really? Haven't seen any out on the roads yet

Well from a few of the pics they certainly looked like them. Although all the others were in Next%'s which would make you wonder. Looked like the sole of the AlphaFly' s anyway.... Not that it matters one jot either! :)

KSU wrote: »
    Would have said that this was something he was accustomed to give Ed Cheserek and Hassan Mead are some of his regular training partners in Flag, Even the Japanese athletes in the group are in the 2.08/9 range from a marathon perspective

I agree, but what he probably means he got to see another side of it as they all train that bit differently. Gary's group seem to push the pace in long runs while in Flagstaff that wasn't the case.

ah im not surprised with the result at all, always thought he would make a big jump if a few things came together. Felt he was a good bit better than the other irish hopefuls and just needed the right race. Hope he smashes it in London.

Well from a few of the pics they certainly looked like them. Although all the others were in Next%'s which would make you wonder. Looked like the sole of the AlphaFly' s anyway.... Not that it matters one jot either! :)

Course it matters......... easier to polish the Black and Green :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

There's a few pairs going around alright - seen a few pics in local races & some banter amongst some folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭66_Lad

There's a few pairs going around alright - seen a few pics in local races & some banter amongst some folks.

There were a few pairs on show in Charleville on Sunday also. Some lads got them back in April when there was a limited release, and one purchased off Stockx trading platform

Advertisement