Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sugarloaf to Djouce walking trail?

• 14-06-2020 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,881 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Someone told me a while back that there was an "off the main road" route from Sugarloaf to Djouce Woods. (And from Bray to Sugarfloaf as well). I haven't been able to find anything official on it. From looking at maps, I spotted one route that's a potential but I'm not sure if it's private property or allowed access or not.

Here's a street view link: https://goo.gl/maps/nbSmVDfmnjNSaimY7 . There's a sign in the street view but I can't read what it says.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

It seems to come out here, with the same sign (but clearer).
    https://goo.gl/maps/YxpDzKpAojpeQARZ6

I don't know the status of the road - would be interested to know what you find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,881 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah that sign seems to refer to forbidden off road vehicles and dumping, doesn't say anything about trespassing or private land. Strava heatmap shows a lot of walker activity on the road. It does pass a few farmhouses from what I can see on Google maps, which is why I wanted to check in advance and avoid potential awkward interactions with farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,417 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I think the idea is that it'll eventually form part of the planned linkup from Bray to the Wicklow Way, via Bray Head - Kilruddery - Little Sugarloaf - Great Sugarloaf - Djouce Woods, but it seems to be taking forever to get organised. I know some of my fellow walkers have already started using that route and haven't come across any problems so far, but I don't think it's official yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

was up sugar loaf yesterday from killmac side and looped around they are doing work on the trail near round stone quarry with a mini jcb.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Even though it's short that's a dangerous enough bit of the roundwood road you have to walk between the two sections - do they have plans to run a path somewhere alongside it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,417 ✭✭✭✭Alun

was up sugar loaf yesterday from killmac side and looped around they are doing work on the trail near round stone quarry with a mini jcb.
    hmmm wrote: »
    Even though it's short that's a dangerous enough bit of the roundwood road you have to walk between the two sections - do they have plans to run a path somewhere alongside it?
    I can't see any potential trail taking a route that would involve walking along that road for any distance, especially the last steep bit after the quarry. I'd always assumed it'd follow the Siugarloaf trail to the Red Lane car park and then cross the R755 by the old filling station if anywhere.

It's anyone's guess though, I've never seen anything concrete on the plans for this trail, Bits and pieces of it, like the Sugarloaf trail, just appear out of nowhere with little if no publicity.

Advertisement