Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RIP Neal Peart

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

scudzilla wrote: »

Ah no! Devastated. RIP Neil.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

That's gutting.

Phenomenal talent, an absolute powerhouse.

RIP to a hero

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

RIP

Wonder how Baggio is getting on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

I was gobsmacked when I read this, literal jaw on the floor. I wouldn't have starting drums without him. The Tom Sawyer drum track played with my head for years. Limelight and The Spirit Of Radio even more so!

I know the term is bandied around these days but R.I.P. to a legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Suddenly you were gone
    From all of the life’s you left your Mark upon...
    Gutted 😢

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Awful news, just awful.

RIP Neil and thank you for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,665 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

RIP Professor

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

In the pantheon of the greats, no doubt. Remember being front and center seeing them in The Point and was constantly reminded of an Octopus watching Neil perform. It's like he had more than two arms as he moved around the drumkit. RIP.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Devastated. Absolutely one of the best. Just glad I got to see him live.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Brain cancer, somebody told me earlier. I'll always fondly remember hearing Permanent Waves for the first time in my friend's house.

I love this cover:
    https://open.spotify.com/track/6nipoAO0ZZHG6sguqcP8Yu?si=_6mRSsieQxWhWPRAslccyg

I'll be very sad never to see them live, I'd imagine it is an experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Farewell to the King.

RIP

Had a row about how good Neil was, with family members, years ago. I put on By-Tor And The Snowdog from the Exit Stage Left DVD, and that shut them up

• Registered Users Posts: 34,370 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Rush will always have a special place in my heart, my dad was a fanatical fan since the 70s and brought us up listening to them.

We even went on a couple of family holidays to see them in London!

Felt like they were our little secret band nobody else listened to. Was absolutely blown away to see the amount of Rush t-shirts around Dublin when they played here a few years ago.

Absolutely gutted. :( Even though they stopped touring I'd fully expected the three of them to be around for many more years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Never nice to hear of a death but that's a particular sickener for me. Brilliant musician and sounds like he had a tough life. RIP.

Scandalous. Has to play again in 15 hours. Wow. Ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

Absolutely gutted. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Crazy news RIP

Only really got into Rush after watching the movie 'I love you man' and saw them live in the o2 (3arena) in 2011 the first gig I went on my own (coming back from a a comedy night in the same venue now)

Amazing drummer and music

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

"Exit The Warrior"

RIP Neil. Thanks for the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

A neighbour of mine texted last night, devastated is the word! Count myself as very fortunate to have seen them 5 times. It was a privilege to see/hear the band for, in my case, 37 years. Anthem was the very first Rush song I ever heard, I knew then that I was listening to greatness. I had always held out hope that they might at least record again but obviously touring was out. A very very sad day. RIP Neil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Got introduced to them as late as that episode of Futurama where Fry is listening to Tom Sawyer whilst playing Space Invaders. It blew me away so hard that I can still say I know where I was when I first experienced Rush. Got to see them in the point. Still my favourite gig of all time. Hit me hard after getting back from work last night. Spirit of the Radio is the only song of theirs on the jukebox in work and it'll be getting some air time tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭bmmb88

My favorite band, only got to see them twice, once in Newcastle and here. Great drummer and fantastic lyrics.
    Time Stand Still says it all. That song means so much I even got Time Stand Still tattooed on my arm. Funny how some songs affect you.( horrible video though)
    By all accounts he was a Gentleman

Didn't he do a tour of the coast here on his bike ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Didn't he do a tour of the coast here on his bike ?

He definitely took a ride through the Wicklow mountains, up past Luggala & Sally Gap. There was a blog post on his website about it, sadly the site just has a photo of him and nothing else at the moment.

Amongst the many tributes online right now, Chris Jericho has a podcast where he's interviewing Mike Portnoy & Charlie Benante, both talking about Neil and their love for Rush. It's available on Spotify & other platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 camanstar

Shocking news, was listening to Radio Caroline at 21.10 last Friday when Jerry Wright broke the news. My favourite band since 1979. Saw them 10 times and they were always magic. Neil Peart was an amazing drummer and an even better lyricist. I had accepted that Rush would not tour again but was not prepared for this. The tributes have been incredible and it is a measure of the huge respect and recognition which people have for the man. He will be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

One week on since the news broke although he had died in the 7th, still hurting bad. Reminiscing with friends over some wonderful memories . One friend saw them live 164 times 😱 my first gig was R30, saw them 18 times since.

galwayrush wrote: »
    One week on since the news broke although he had died in the 7th, still hurting bad. Reminiscing with friends over some wonderful memories . One friend saw them live 164 times 😱 my first gig was R30, saw them 18 times since.

Jesus that's some dedication, 164 times! Hell even 18 in 10 years is a lot.

I'm just happy got to see them the once. In the presence of greatness is fine by me. Been listening to them all week, still not over the news at all. Yeah it was unlikely they'd tour, but to hear this. And every so often youd hear an update from Geddy or Alex saying no more touring due to health issues. Keeping the full extent of it private as Neil would have wished.

Time Stand Still documentary on Sky Arts at 9pm tonight

few beers and the Time Machine (Live in Cleveland 2011) blu ray on full blast

Cant beat it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

Two years gone, today. Never forgotten

Advertisement