Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Rugby League thread.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Yeah, the stream was very good. It was night and day compared to the one I saw on Youtube last week. Fair play to the BBC for showing it. Pity no Irish station took it on considering there's the likes of RTE News Now and a bunch of Virgin Media channels that could have done so.

Ireland were outclassed really and I was expecting a rout as France led 18-0 at the break, but in the end it was 24-10 so it wasn't a humiliation. France definitely deserved it though.

Wales beat Scotland 50-12 so Ireland's visit to Wrexham next weekend will determine who joins France as an automatic World Cup qualifier. Hopefully the BBC will stream that one too.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,844 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

2nd game of the England NZ series today, starts at 2.30pm on BBC Two, coverage begins at 2pm.

Edited channel, got the wrong BBC.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Good first half at Anfield. Decent crowd in for it.

Edit: good win for England, so they've won the series, final game still to play in Leeds.

Seems the Wales vs Ireland qualifier will be on the BBC website on Sunday afternoon from 3pm.

https://twitter.com/rugbyleagueontv/status/1060470150988787712

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

Wales are dominating this. 32-4 at the time of writing. Fifteen minutes to go. I expected a Welsh win but hoped it would be a closer contest.

• Advertisement

Wales are dominating this. 32-4 at the time of writing. Fifteen minutes to go. I expected a Welsh win but hoped it would be a closer contest.

Yeah, real shame that.

New Zealand comfortable against England 22 nil with 20 minutest to go and England with man in the bin.

Ireland's most capped player, and current captain, is retiring from international Rugby. Fair play to Liam Finn, featured in 3 World Cup campaigns.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/liam-finn-proud-of-his-international-career-with-ireland

Finn's been a great servant and performed very well at last year's World Cup. Most capped player and most points scored as well. I hope RTE acknowledge his contribution at the Sports Personality of the Year Awards coming up.

Finn's been a great servant and performed very well at last year's World Cup. Most capped player and most points scored as well. I hope RTE acknowledge his contribution at the Sports Personality of the Year Awards coming up.

It'd be nice, but doubt very much they will.

It'd be nice, but doubt very much they will.

I'm going to send RTE an email suggesting they acknowledge his efforts. It mightn't do any good but it's worth a shot!

• Advertisement

Nice interview with Liam Finn about Irish Rugby League going forward.
    https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/liam-finn-trusts-new-ireland-board-to-grow-the-game-after-stalled-progress

I hope his optimism is right, there's great potential with the growing player base for kick and clap rugby in Ireland, and some of those will realise Union isn't for them, or vice versa. Plenty of players in the making if structures could be put in place and if the wider RL governing bodies helped more.

Sounds like the Ireland team had an absolute 'mare with their Spain qualifier.

https://www.totalrl.com/ireland-stars-disgust-at-shambolic-and-dangerous-spain-trip/

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Hope you guys were watching Australia lose for the first time in 41 years against a team other than England, GB or NZ...

Australia 12-16 Tonga

Beasty wrote: »
    Hope you guys were watching Australia lose for the first time in 41 years against a team other than England, GB or NZ...

Australia 12-16 Tonga

Fantastic result, and brilliant for international Rugby league they've backed up their win over GB with a win over the Aussies.

GB played the first test against New Zealand today, replay half nine on the BBC Red Button.

Some Haka from the Kiwis.

Kiwis beat GB in first of two Test matches. Poor first half from both teams, took zero risks and made for grim viewing, quality picked up a bit in the second half but GB still look poor and lost to a not much better New Zealand. Hastings who was a revelation for Salford was very ordinary for the Lions.

Still, better than the snore fest that was the Union World Cup final :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Still, better than the snore fest that was the Union World Cup final :pac:

you think - not convinced

Wayne Bennett
    i dont think we lost that game we just ran out of time. another 5 minutes and we would have scored

:rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D:confused::confused:

next game live bbc 2 6.30am

highlights bbc 1 13:15

you think - not convinced

Wayne Bennett

:rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D:confused::confused:

next game live bbc 2 6.30am

highlights bbc 1 13:15

Re point one, it was a poor game, can't argue with that, but personally speaking still a better spectacle than kick n clap.

Re point two, I know Wayne Bennett never exactly looks brimming with enthusiasm, but he really looks totally disinterested in his well paid side line coaching England and GB lions (in effect the same team :pac:) He's going through the motions, and doesn't seem to want to look outside of the Australians "qualified" to play for England, or English players in the NRL.

I'm working all weekend so I'll have to record the game, although if its like the first test the BBC Red Button had multiple replays. I think it'll be a better game than last week, saying that, the bar is set pretty low after the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

gb lions were very poor against Tonga as well

gb lions were very poor against Tonga as well

They were, but Tonga beating the Kangaroos made GB look slightly less average.

I fear the only win they'll get on this tour will be against PNG next weekend, but Port Moresby will be rocking so I'm not even that confident of that.

Maybe they'll show up tomorrow and prove me wrong, if both teams went a bit more expansive I'm sure the viewers would appreciate it!

• Advertisement

Just seen the NZ GB score , don't think I'll bother watching the recording!

So, in a coaching masterclass Wayne has been building the team up for the most important game of the tour, forget Tonga and kiwis beating them, this is the big one for the Lions. PNG this Saturday, 5am on the BBC Red Button, or deferred 7am on BBC Two.

Atmosphere for this one should be the best of the lot, PNG love their League and if they get at the lions early, who knows. Part of me would love to see them get the win, the place would go into meltdown and the lions deserve fupp all for what they've served up so far. I think GB will probably actually score a few this game though, and have too much for PNG. (but who knows, maybe, Bennett will sign off with a 0 from 4 tour, unless the idiots at English RL re-sign him as coach)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

Only one winner from here.

Well actually, two winners as it'll be the end of Banter Bennett, finally.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

Embarrassing.

I'm actually pleased PNG won, GB were shambolic. Whole England/GB set up needs a reboot. Bennett obviously needs gone, and I'm not sure Sinfield has what it takes either.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Just saw this on the BBC..

Could someone give me a quick briefing on the international teams? Who are the traditional big countries? What's the current status? Australia for sure anyway

Just saw this on the BBC..

Could someone give me a quick briefing on the international teams? Who are the traditional big countries? What's the current status? Australia for sure anyway

Australia, New Zealand and England/GB the only "tier one" nations. Hasn't really changed since day one. Then you have Tonga, who have had a few big results the last 18 months (since a few players switched from NZ/Aus to Tonga) then a good few teams all at a very similar level.

Actually there's a very good article I read this morning in the Guardian about the rise of the Pacific nations. If progress continued, maybe we aren't too far away from a change.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/no-helmets-required/2019/nov/22/rugby-league-competitive-southern-hemisphere-samoa-samoa-fiji-papua-new-guinea

• Advertisement

4 years since last post, time flies.

Some good games today, loved this before the Fiji PNG contest.

Advertisement