Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starter pack

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

It has everything you need. The "full" rulebooks - Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide and Monster Manual - add more options and content if you were to buy them - e.g., more monsters, spells, magical treasures, options for characters, etc., but to get a game up and running, all you need is in the box.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Thank you.

Looking forward to this.

It has everything you need. The "full" rulebooks - Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide and Monster Manual - add more options and content if you were to buy them - e.g., more monsters, spells, magical treasures, options for characters, etc., but to get a game up and running, all you need is in the box.

Enjoy!

I should have also asked if it made understanding the game and rules any easier.

I can’t tell if it is all very, very complicated or I’m just getting overwhelmed by thinking it is. :p

I should have also asked if it made understanding the game and rules any easier.

I can’t tell if it is all very, very complicated or I’m just getting overwhelmed by thinkingnn BBC it is. :p

Fair point.

I don't have this edition myself so can't comment on how well it explains everything, but I did find myself that after a gap of a few years and moving from 4th edition to 5th edition, there was a lot of new/different rules to digest.

Essentially, though, the combat rules all boil down "Roll a 20-sided dice. Add any bonuses. Does that beat the target number?"

What I found really helpful, too, was searching on YouTube for terms like "Dungeons and Dragons beginners guide", "D&D combat rules", and similar.

Stick with it, it's completely worth it! If you've any specific questions, ask away and I'll do my best to answer them.

Fair point.

I don't have this edition myself so can't comment on how well it explains everything, but I did find myself that after a gap of a few years and moving from 4th edition to 5th edition, there was a lot of new/different rules to digest.

Essentially, though, the combat rules all boil down "Roll a 20-sided dice. Add any bonuses. Does that beat the target number?"

What I found really helpful, too, was searching on YouTube for terms like "Dungeons and Dragons beginners guide", "D&D combat rules", and similar.

Stick with it, it's completely worth it! If you've any specific questions, ask away and I'll do my best to answer them.

Apologies for the tying mistakes. I'm on a new iPhone and even though the keyboard is bigger my fingers seem to be going all over the place.

I think I just wanted a quick game and to learn the rules and stuff over time but once the game was out I felt compelled to do it properly. I should have asked you about a quick start. :)

I'll get there though. Great just to reveal the game to the family and see the reaction - "oh yea, a game where you decide the rules";):D

• Advertisement

I came across this on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oIIZJeVGpc - part 1 of a (very!) thorough intro to the Starter Edition, with an example of play included. Might be helpful?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭seagull

Your best option is probably to see if you can join a game as a player. You can play without knowing a lot of the rules, and it will give you an idea of how the game runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Zomboid

Between the free Basic Rules PDF and the recently released V5.1 CC SRD (with a great amount of added spells and monsters which used to be payware), you really don't need to purchase anything that I'm aware of. They posted even more freebies during the USA lockdowns-- some directly from the starter kits. There's also current freebies such as the heist adventure on D&D Beyond as well as an Icedale adventure. Just know that long campaign modules are the one thing you really can't get free. You either have to create them or buy premade ones. If you just roll to create a dungeon and encounters, you really don't need to pay anything to play.

I can't post links right now, but I'll update this when I can. The archived lockdown material can be found at dnd.wizards.com/remote/archive inside the Wayback Machine.

Advertisement