Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Open 2019

15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

walshb wrote: »
    I think Hewitt is the analogy here. Very good player, similar to Andre..

Hewitt’s game was very tough for a still very good Sampras. He beat Sampras several times, when Pete was still 30 or below, and when Hewitt was young.

I cannot see any Sampras having an easier time with Nole or Nadal, who were both clearly stronger than Hewitt..Sampras would be punished more..

Whatever game Sampras decides to play today, he is still Sampras, and his weaknesses would still be heavily punished by theee monsters of the game. Outliers.

After Hewitt's initial burst onto the scene, he regressed year after year, as niggling injuries, then serious injuries, hampered his pace and ability to run. With his low center of gravity and pace, he was an exceptional returner who could, to a point, deal with the Sampras serve better than most.

But if Hewitt, circa 2006 for example, came up against Sampras in his prime, Hewitt would of got some serious tanking's off him too. Ye Hewitt in his prime beat Sampras, then again Hewitt in his prime beat Federer too, after Federer had won grand slams. So no, I don't think Hewitt's a great analogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,537 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I never mentioned Hewitt v Fed..

I used Hewitt v Sampras to make a comparisons as to how prime Nadal and Nole would fare against Sampras. Nole and Nadal are absolutely stronger than Hewitt, as well as both clearly bettering him in their H2Hs

• Registered Users Posts: 14,488 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I used Hewitt v Sampras to make a comparisons as to how prime Nadal and Nole would fare against Sampras. Nole and Nadal are absolutely stronger than Hewitt, as well as both clearly bettering him in their H2Hs

Prime Nadal and Nole vs Sampras you say .

Sampras was at the end of his career when he first lost to Hewitt ,he was 29 ,he retired 2 years later .
    Thats not a fair comparison .

Hewitt was a very average player mentioning him in the same breath as Agassi is laughable to be honest .
    Put the three of them into the 90s and Sampras likely wins 3-4 slams max..
    You think Nadal would be able to beat Sampras at Wimbledon or the US Open on those fast courts ?
    On todays courts ,yes he'd definitely beat him but on the 90's courts ,thats a completely different scenario.
    Federer and Sampras would be a good match up ,Nole would do better than Nadal but his return of serve is definitely inferior to Agassi ,who returned most shots flat.
    Djokovic can play a more aggressive game ,he did when he first came on the scene ,but he has changed more to a grinding style in latter years so I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

You think Nadal would be able to beat Sampras at Wimbledon or the US Open on those fast courts ?
    On todays courts ,yes he'd definitely beat him but on the 90's courts ,thats a .

Yes, why not?

Far too much being made of "slower" courts today....

And so what, Nadal still has the game, speed, strength, court coverage, stamina, array of shots....

What do people think here? That Nadal suddenly won't be near as effective because the balls are traveling that little bit faster?

Apart from a better serve and volley, where can Sampras really win? He won't out-rally Nadal, and Nadal is clearly a stronger player than any of the 90s guys that Sampras was beating.

Sampras has the advantage only when serving, and he will be hard pressed to win these games if he isn't getting in a high 1st serve percentage. When Nadal serves the game will be a rallying type game, and I dont care what speeds exist, Sampras won't beat Nadal here, unless he can get to the net effectively, and avoid the passing shots...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Yes, why not?

Far too much being made of "slower" courts today....

And so what, Nadal still has the game, speed, strength, court coverage, stamina, array of shots....

What do people think here? That Nadal suddenly won't be near as effective because the balls are traveling that little bit faster?

Apart from a better serve and volley, where can Sampras really win? He won't out-rally Nadal, and Nadal is clearly a stronger player than any of the 90s guys that Sampras was beating.

Sampras has the advantage only when serving, and he will be hard pressed to win these games if he isn't getting in a high 1st serve percentage. When Nadal serves the game will be a rallying type game, and I dont care what speeds exist, Sampras won't beat Nadal here, unless he can get to the net effectively, and avoid the passing shots...

Ehhh there were no rallies on those courts in the 90s. There's a reason why clay courters got nowhere on grass and hard court back then.

Irrelevant that Nadal could out rally him as rallies like we know them today did not exist back then.

• Advertisement

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Ehhh there were no rallies on those courts in the 90s. There's a reason why clay courters got nowhere on grass and hard court back then.

Irrelevant that Nadal could out rally him as rallies like we know them today did not exist back then.

So, you are saying that Nadal could not force Sampras to rally?

You do know what a rally is? It doesn't have to be 30 + shots.....

Nadal, on serve is not coming to the net, forcing a rally to begin with. How long that goes on, who knows...

But if it was, with Nadal and Sampras, I'd be confident that Nadal is winning the vast majority, as are Nole and RF.

So, you are saying that Nadal could not force Sampras to rally?

You do know what a rally is? It doesn't have to be 30 + shots.....

But if it was, with Nadal and Sampras, I'd be confident that Nadal is winning the vast majority, as is Nole and RF.

If it was that easy to force serve and volley players into rallies on grass and hard courts, then the clay court players of the 90s would have done so.

It's a completely different sport now to what it was then.

If it was that easy to force serve and volley players into rallies on grass and hard courts, then the clay court players of the 90s would have done so.

It's a completely different sport now to what it was then.

Ok, SW19 is a little different. Faster than hard.

Still, Nadal on those SW19 courts is staying back on his serve. Forcing Sampras to rally more than he is comfortable with. If he comes in, he either wins the point or does not. I see him losing it more than winning it.

Ok, SW19 is a little different. Faster than hard.

Still, Nadal on those SW19 courts is staying back on his serve. Forcing Sampras to rally more than he is comfortable with. If he comes in, he either wins the point or does not. I see him losing it more than winning it.

The strings were different back then. NOBODY back then stood way behind the baseline like they do now. Winners from way behind the baseline simply did not happen then. You can't apply modern day Nadal to 90s tennis unless you give him the 90s equipment. With 90s equipment and 90s court speeds Nadal has to play differently.

Nadal has a poor record on indoor hard courts, the fastest courts in today's game, courts that pale in comparison to the speeds of the 90s grass, hard and carpet courts. I struggle to see how he achieves much success in such an era.

Nadal doesn't just stand way behind the baseline....

Watch the guy...

• Advertisement

1992 saw a baseliner win SW19. A great baseliner.....one of the greatest

Nadal is even greater. Nole, too!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,488 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The strings were different back then. NOBODY back then stood way behind the baseline like they do now. Winners from way behind the baseline simply did not happen then. You can't apply modern day Nadal to 90s tennis unless you give him the 90s equipment. With 90s equipment and 90s court speeds Nadal has to play differently.

Nadal has a poor record on indoor hard courts, the fastest courts in today's game, courts that pale in comparison to the speeds of the 90s grass, hard and carpet courts. I struggle to see how he achieves much success in such an era.

Great post and hits the nail on the head.
    1992 saw a baseliner win SW19. A great baseliner.....one of the greatest

Nadal is even greater. Nole, too!

Two completely different players Agassi and Nadal.

Agassi hit the ball relatively flat and he took it early on the rise .
    He is the best returner of all time with phenomenal hand eye coordination.

Nadal hits the ball with huge topspin with a full western grip .
    Modern rackets and modern string technology allow this to be an effective technique .
    Attempting this back in 92 with smaller racket heads ,lighter balls ,faster courts , and more worn courts would be a recipe for disaster ,the amount of mis hits would be huge .
    He would have to adapt his game completely ,even change his grip ,its an entirely different prospect.

I get all that.....

Still a baseliner....

This is what folks aren't getting. They are tennis players, all them....tennis is a lot of different things.....

But most important is that Nadal and Andre were baseliners....

Nadal's baseline game skills, and his other all around court skills, were for me too strong for Sampras and his game....

I get all that.....

Still a baseliner....

This is what folks aren't getting. They are tennis players, all them....tennis is a lot of different things.....

But most important is that Nadal and Andre were baseliners....

Nadal's baseline game skills, and his other all around court skills, were for me too strong for Sampras and his game....

He explained the difference and you reply "still a baseliner"? Really? So all baseliners must be great simply because they are baseliners? You're basically choosing to ignore everything you don't agree with and retort "the current 3 are 'outliers'" anyway.

He explained the difference and you reply "still a baseliner"? Really? So all baseliners must be great simply because they are baseliners? You're basically choosing to ignore everything you don't agree with and retort "the current 3 are 'outliers'" anyway.

Where did I say all baseliners must be great?

I am well aware of the style differences, but a baseliner is still a baseliner..

And no, not all baseliners are great. Agassi was great. Nadal is great.

Where did I say all baseliners must be great?

I am well aware of the style differences, but a baseliner is still a baseliner..

And no, not all baseliners are great. Agassi was great. Nadal is great.

He pointed out major differences in how they returned, you basically point blank ignored this, and replied "they are still both baseliners". So are you saying that the style of all baseliner's are similar and therefore must have similar results, with Agassi being an analogy of how good Nadal would be in another era? Or is it a mute point seeing as they are two completely different players?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Jesus this same debate every grand slam

giphy.gif

Jesus this same debate every grand slam

giphy.gif

What's the alternative? A ghosttown forum until January?

Any tennis discussion should be welcomed here.

He pointed out major differences in how they returned, you basically point blank ignored this, and replied "they are still both baseliners". So are you saying that the style of all baseliner's are similar and therefore must have similar results, with Agassi being an analogy of how good Nadal would be in another era? Or is it a mute point seeing as they are two completely different players?

I am aware of their tennis style differences, and have said this several times.

Both supreme baseliners. Both very good all rounders as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

one can only reasonably rate players who have played against each other.

in this decade (2010-2019) the winning count is:

Slams Djokovic 15 Nadal 12 Federer 5
    Master 1000's: Djokovic 28 Nadal 20 Federer 12
    APT year end finals: Djokovic 4 Nadal 0 Federer 2
    Year end No Ones (not inc 2019) Djokovic 5 Nadal 3 Federer 0

Head to Head - haven't worked it out but would assume that Djokovic would have a decent lead on Nadal and Federer (they would have had a lead on him pre 2010)

What that says to me is that Djokovic slightly > Nadal, and Federer can reasonably be said to have at least one leg in the previous decade

The overall legacies of the 3 are yet to be settled

• Advertisement

lostcat wrote: »
    one can only reasonably rate players who have played against each other.

in this decade (2010-2019) the winning count is:

Slams Djokovic 15 Nadal 12 Federer 5
    Master 1000's: Djokovic 28 Nadal 20 Federer 12
    APT year end finals: Djokovic 4 Nadal 0 Federer 2
    Year end No Ones (not inc 2019) Djokovic 5 Nadal 3 Federer 0

Head to Head - haven't worked it out but would assume that Djokovic would have a decent lead on Nadal and Federer (they would have had a lead on him pre 2010)

What that says to me is that Djokovic slightly > Nadal, and Federer can reasonably be said to have at least one leg in the previous decade

The overall legacies of the 3 are yet to be settled

Pretty flawed approach this. Basically cuts off all of Federer's best years in his physical prime. You are counting Federer's achievements from 28 years of age onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Pretty flawed approach this. Basically cuts off all of Federer's best years in his physical prime. You are counting Federer's achievements from 28 years of age onwards.

On the contrary I acknowledged that a lot of Federer's good work was in the preceding decade. The numbers show that it's even pretty hard to compare guys who are playing at the same time if they are different ages.
    Currently we can compare Djokovic and Nadal to Murray, cilic, del potro etc. Federer is a complete outlier to be still competing at 38

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

What's the alternative? A ghosttown forum until January?

Any tennis discussion should be welcomed here.

Maybe keep it to the designated thread?

Maybe keep it to the designated thread?

Who are we kidding. You and I both know that all tennis discussion takes places on 4 threads a year here. Try move a discussion and you kill that discussion. Do we want this forum to be a ghost town? Many of us disagree with each other but we all like tennis, otherwise we wouldn't be posting here.

Who are we kidding. You and I both know that all tennis discussion takes places on 4 threads a year here. Try move a discussion and you kill that discussion. Do we want this forum to be a ghost town? Many of us disagree with each other but we all like tennis, otherwise we wouldn't be posting here.

Would never want this place to be a ghost town, and I want the threads to keep going. But not with the exact same conversations again and again and again. I'm not the only one who feels this way, and that thread was set up for a reason ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Advertisement