Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website Review Please - Struggling here

• 14-07-2020 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

Hi all.
    Like many small businesses during the Covid-19 crisis I have had to adjust how I sell my products and have moved from being a market trader to an online trader.

I used Basekit to build a site and that has a lot of limitations but it got me up and running. I could really do with advice on how I can improve the site and also some tips on how to increase traffic to it. I am a total newbie at this so all advice welcome.

I have made a start on making a site on wordpress to replace this one but I haven't got a clue what I'm doing so it's going to take a while before I can switch over.
    Thanks in advance!
    www.irishwhiskeystonecompany.ie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Jump into your customer's shoes. Explain what you are selling first before jumping into the actual selling. Use around 3 really short and snappy phrases derived from the Q&A page. Eg. Cool your whiskey with zero dilution, works for many more drinks than whiskey, Easy to freeze.

Proper contact details please - important for trust. Ditto privacy policy etc.

Use your titles and descriptions better to reflect the page. Eg. the About title is better than the home page one.

Do not use meta keywords, they are ignored so useless.

Review your analytics. There are clues in there as to where improvements could be made.

Social Media activity looks good except your pinterest link is broken.

Some reviews are an idea.

Interesting product. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Thanks so much tricky D. A couple of questions relating to your post.

Should I put an email address as well as the contact form?

"Use your titles and descriptions better to reflect the page. Eg. the About title is better than the home page one".
    Are you referring to the title in the address bar?

What is a meta keyword? (sorry, I really am a total newbie to this!)

Thanks for pointing out the broken pinterest link

I'll copy some of my google reviews onto the page. Good idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Unless there is a very good reason not to, I would always include the email address.

Yes the title is in the tab above the address bar. The linked title and the unlinked description is what the search engines usually use in the search result listing.

Meta keywords are under the bonnet. You would have put them in probably when starting to make the page.
    <meta name="keywords" content="whiskey stones,father jack,father ted,slate coasters,gifts for men,gifts for dad,gift for boyfriend,funny gifts for friends,gin stones,gifts for dad,gifts for him,unique Irish gifts,irish gifts and souvenirs,irish whiskey gifts,whiskey accessories" />
    These keywords were so badly abused in the early days that search engines have ignored them for many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Thanks a million. I think I have addressed all of that now. Your advice is very much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FionMc

tricky D wrote: »
    Unless there is a very good reason not to, I would always include the email address.

Yes the title is in the tab above the address bar. The linked title and the unlinked description is what the search engines usually use in the search result listing.

Meta keywords are under the bonnet. You would have put them in probably when starting to make the page.

These keywords were so badly abused in the early days that search engines have ignored them for many years.

Search engines dont look at keywords in the keywords meta tag anymore. they stopped looking at these about 10 years ago!
    Here's a good reason not to expose your email address: Spam emails

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FionMc

galwaybabe wrote: »
    Hi all.
    Like many small businesses during the Covid-19 crisis I have had to adjust how I sell my products and have moved from being a market trader to an online trader.

I used Basekit to build a site and that has a lot of limitations but it got me up and running. I could really do with advice on how I can improve the site and also some tips on how to increase traffic to it. I am a total newbie at this so all advice welcome.

I have made a start on making a site on wordpress to replace this one but I haven't got a clue what I'm doing so it's going to take a while before I can switch over.
    Thanks in advance!

If you can afford it, set your site up on Shopify, not on WP. With WP you'll have to buy lots of Woocommerce extensions and install them and configure them and well as build your site. Even if you buy a theme from Themeforest for WP it will still need lots of work to knock it into shape because you'll find issues with it as soon as you try customize it. Shopify will be the fastest way to a complete ecommerce solution with very little tech knowledge

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

galwaybabe wrote: »
    Hi all.

Thanks in advance!
    www.irishwhiskeystonecompany.ie

As customer visiting your website I would like to get straight to the point,

1. How much and where to click, "Hello and Welcome to our store" doesn't ring the bell. I would rather see "quality booze 50 years old at 10 euro, next day delivery, buy here/start shopping".

2. Payment procedure, as first time visitor I need to know what is my payment options before I give any personal information especially when being redirected to some unknown payment website. I would like to see why I am being redirected and what to expect in terms of payment options.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Mrlova

really nice suggestions I have applied this and got significant growth in my startup

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tomsheehy

Hi all, please review my Furniture store business website. (Only In store/Offline Shopping)

https://tomsheehy.com

Looking for some feedback to improve website navigation, especially on the User Experience.

Really appreciate it.

Advertisement