Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massive Project Proposal Money no object

• 08-06-2020 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭

What would you suggest as a giant scale development in Ireland. Doesn't have to be entirely practical and money no object. One limitation - technically possible in current engineering terms.

One crazy idea like

Create a giant bridge from Scotland or Wales to Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Put a giant roof over Cork City.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Electrify all rail lines, double the tracks (one set to go, one to come back at least, plus an "overspill" track in certain areas in case of breakdowns, reopen the lines to Donegal and along the West.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Put a single tap on all sinks and tubs for both hot and cold water.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

A roof over the entire country

It collects all the rain and sends it reservoir

It opens when sunshine but also collects solar energy

Free wifi

With lots of water butts? :pac:

• Advertisement

New Home wrote: »
    Electrify all rail lines, double the tracks (one set to go, one to come back at least, plus an "overspill" track in certain areas in case of breakdowns, reopen the lines to Donegal and along the West.

Fair play to ya. Interesting one, could be done too.

A roof over the entire country

It collects all the rain and sends it reservoir

It opens when sunshine but also collects solar energy

Free wifi

I admire your ambition but I doubt that would be possible on that scale maybe a city or a few of them?

Sink old ocean liners in an arc from Dalkey to Howth build up a causeway and drain the bay for housing etc. Think of the employment and extra space created!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭the-island-man

Build a multi-purpose indoor Arena with similar capacity to the 3 Arena in each of the regional cities\large towns. I'm thinking Cork, Limerick, Galway and Athlone.

For a country where it rains so much and a summer is never guaranteed it seems illogical that so much government grants have gone to upgrading GAA stadiums that can't be used for non-GAA events if it's pissing rain.

I also agree with the improvements to rail.

Build a multi-purpose indoor Arena with similar capacity to the 3 Arena in each of the regional cities\large towns. I'm thinking Cork, Limerick, Galway and Athlone.

For a country where it rains so much and a summer is never guaranteed it seems illogical that so much government grants have gone to upgrading GAA stadiums that can't be used for non-GAA events if it's pissing rain.

I also agree with the improvements to rail.

Excellent! Put us in the running for a major sporting event. Throw in Derry as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭the-island-man

saabsaab wrote: »
    Excellent! Put us in the running for a major sporting event. Throw in Derry as well.

I live in Galway and biggest permanent indoor arena is Leisureland in Salthill which is still just a big hall. Pearse Stadium is about a 10 minute walk up the road from it, has ~30,000 capacity and it lies vacant for most of the year.

I live in Galway and biggest permanent indoor arena is Leisureland in Salthill which is still just a big hall. Pearse Stadium is about a 10 minute walk up the road from it, has ~30,000 capacity and it lies vacant for most of the year.

Might get Rugby world cup or similar if we had facilities. Anyway, any BIG ideas even if they don't make great financial sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Have all new build houses with a rain water supply for toilet flushing.

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Have all new build houses with a rain water supply for toilet flushing.

Is that not being done already?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

A f*cking subway in Dublin like they should have built 100 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

Truthvader wrote: »
    A f*cking subway in Dublin like they should have built 100 years ago.

Or bulldoze Dublin and start over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

unhappys10 wrote: »
    Or bulldoze Dublin and start over.

Except the nice bits - which the Brits built

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Link all local areas up with public transport so you don't need a car to go anywhere.

A new motorway from Cork to Derry (Londonderry) through the new Capital in Athlone.

Advertisement