Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Host.ie/Register.ie gone/going bust?

Options
  • 21-05-2020 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭

I've been trying to contact them for two weeks no and no replies.

No replies by email or live chat and they have this message re: phone support
    Since COVID-19 became a public health emergency, we are following the recommended guidelines to protect our employees by having them work from home to minimize social contact.

To continue to best serve all of our customers, we will be handling all support requests through chat and email only. Our hours and promised level of service will remain unchanged. We hope to return to providing phone support as soon as possible. Thanks for your understanding during these challenging times.

They're one of Ireland's biggest webhost companies and this is shíte customer support. I understand in these times they can't have phone support, but to have no reply to customers by email and no one attending the Live Chat too?

I have a .com registered with them I need to activate email and therein lies the problem. Can I move this .com somewhere else to be hosted? I just registered the .com so far, there's no website

Are Host/Register going tits up? Their complete silence with customers is very strange

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

If you just purchased the domain name with them, you don't have to use them for hosting. You just have to update the nameservers to point your domain to the host you're using

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Muir wrote: »
    If you just purchased the domain name with them, you don't have to use them for hosting. You just have to update the nameservers to point your domain to the host you're using

They told me a few months that the .com needs to be hosted by them as it's registered with them? :confused:

Anyone know someone in Host/Register.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Moved from After Hours

Thread more suitable here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    They told me a few months that the .com needs to be hosted by them as it's registered with them? :confused:

That's arse and sounds like a company fighting for their lives. You register your domain, through them. It's now up to you where to host it. Every hosting provider will furnish you with name servers. You simply set up your registered domain to point at those servers (very simple process really)

So, looking at your issue (from what I can see) here's what you have to do.

a) you have registered a domain.
    b) You now need to get hosting - wherever you like -or do you have hosting with them? - if not: Get the hosting, most likely you will get an intro email from the hosting provider with details of your package, including the name servers

c) You had to set up an account when you registered the domain - go back to that, login, and change the name servers in the registration account to the new hosting settings.

It's a bit like looking at aramaic when you start out doing it - but it actually very straightforward.

Honest, if you are a bit blindsided by it, pm me and I'll gladly give you a digout.

(if you have hosting with them a) consider the treatment your received over the last few days! b) you can still setup email)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Anyone know someone in Host/Register.ie?
    This is at best naughty. While having registration and hosting with the same provider makes certain sense, the company insisting on it certainly does not and is a red flag which would make me move my business elsewhere.

mneylon if he posts might shed a better light on the matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Only seeing this now.

So Host.ie / Register.ie have changed hands a few times over the last 15+ years.

Years back they would have been one of the top 5 hosting providers in the country, but they haven't been for years.

Digiweb (Viatel) sold them off to Hostopia (a US company) about 3 years ago.
    I've no idea how good or bad their customer service is these days but if this thread is anything to go by I guess "not great". All our staff are working from home and have been for the last couple of months and it's been pretty much "business as usual"

So the thing about the domain + the hosting - most companies don't impose those kind of restrictions, but some do and that's their choice. We see it most commonly with SAAS providers who sell domains as an afterthought and aren't interested in providing service for domains that aren't linked to what they care about.

I think most people just vote with their feet.

The OP asks about moving the domain - if it's a .ie or .eu or .co.uk they can pretty easily. If it's a .com then they're stuck with the current registrar of record for the first 60 days of registration, though if the provider won't update the DNS there's potentially a way to side step them and go direct to the registrar.

Michele

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

Been with them for over 15 years now through all the change of ownerships. Support has gotten progressively worse each time. I can't get any response from them at all at the moment.
    They keep referring to chat but there is no chat option on the site?

Update on this;

I've since solved the issue myself but I've two .com websites registered with them and they seem to be a company about to go bust

Where does this leave my websites if they do?

Update on this;

I've since solved the issue myself but I've two .com websites registered with them and they seem to be a company about to go bust

Where does this leave my websites if they do?

You might be better off moving them to another provider.

Not that I'm biased or anything *cough*

Michele

mneylon wrote: »
    You might be better off moving them to another provider.

Not that I'm biased or anything *cough*

Michele

Not biased at all ;)

Black Knight do seem to have a great reputation versus the shambolic Host.ie though

How straightforward is moving the registered URL to Black Knight and how much?

Can Host.ie legally block me from doing this or make it difficult? I really don't think they'll be in business this time next year so I think it's time to move from them

Thanks

• Advertisement

Have you the domains registered with them? That could make stuff awkward, though Michele would know better on that.

tricky D wrote: »
    Have you the domains registered with them? That could make stuff awkward, though Michele would know better on that.
    Realistically they can't block the move.
    For .ie domains they can bypass them completely if they're unhelpful
    For .com domains the registrar of record will step in and assist if the reseller isn't responsive.

I believe we've had to deal with a few of these moves in the last couple of months and if anyone needs help with it just let me know

Michele

Not biased at all ;)
    How straightforward is moving the registered URL to Black Knight and how much?
    It's not complicated.

If you contact us directly we can provide pricing etc (though most of it is on our site anyway :) )
    Can Host.ie legally block me from doing this or make it difficult?

Realistically no.
    They can't outright block it, but depending on what you have and what access you have to it they can make it more awkward. Either way we can probably assist you

Michele

mneylon wrote: »
    I believe we've had to deal with a few of these moves in the last couple of months and if anyone needs help with it just let me know
    Lol. Currently just finishing off a righteous hostile takeback from a gouging supplier with the help of your support. Just the cert to sort out now. Biggest problem is my rustiness as I haven't done this stuff in a while. Thankfully the original reg was with you guys.

Ed: at least my www. and the naked are updating at the same time unlike...

tricky D wrote: »
    Lol. Currently just finishing off a righteous hostile takeback from a gouging supplier with the help of your support. Just the cert to sort out now. Biggest problem is my rustiness as I haven't done this stuff in a while. Thankfully the original reg was with you guys.

Ed: at least my www. and the naked are updating at the same time unlike...

It can get messy. We have a bunch of processes and procedures we've developed over the years to try and untangle these situations as reasonably as possible, but it's often incredibly complicated.

Either way we'll always try to sort it out if we can

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

Sorry for bumping an old thread but is anyone with host.ie?

My wife's website is down so I went to check host.ie & it's also down

Anyone in the same boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mauvehillgus

Yep. Finished working on a site last night. Got up early to check it this morning, and there it was - gone!

Small bit of digging later, found that the client's DNS is hosted there, so with their DNS (and it looks like everything else) Servers being down, no access to site.

Anyone got a contact number for host.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

Numbers ringing out or not ringing at all.

Anyone know what the story is?

(021)202 8058

(021)202 8058

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Looks like they fallen off the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mauvehillgus

Looks like the issue(s) started around 01:45 this morning and progressively deteriorated.

Can't get through on any of the numbers and their Social Media presence is practically non-existent. I'd say if they weren't goosed before today, they most certainly are now.

for history, go to waybackmachine.org and type in host dot ie address

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭eronayne

There was an aircon failure in a clonshaugh datacentre last night

lots and lots of servers shutdown as a result of thermal overload

I do r know if these guys have servers in this location but it might be a simple explanation to anything dropping off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Post on twitter that it was the datacenter issue above and would be 6-8 hours to resolve.

https://twitter.com/BaaijBas/status/1448238184681414657

Looks like everything is back up again now. My websites are working again.

As far as I know they haven't officially contacted clients about the outage and still are slow to respond to emails - the phones haven't been answered in over a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

They replied to me with a "sincere apologies" cut & paste job

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If you don't feel like a valued customer then take your business elsewhere!

Advertisement